jcm900 4100 reissue vs jcm800 comparison.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Marshall4Metal, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

This is a very good honest comparison of the 2 heads . They both sound great. My 900 and an SD-1 is all I need with an EQ as a boost in the loop. That along with my Chorus and Gate is my entire rig at this point. The tone is pure Marshall God tier sweetness i'm not sure better tone exits . Same goes for the 800 and an SD-1.

2. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

The 2-channel JCM800's sound similar to the 4100's compared with the 1-channel JCM800's. Also, with these internet videos, you have to take major consideration into how they mic the sound. A great tone can sound terrible when recorded through a cell phone.

Crikey likes this.
  3. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I have both amps and they sound awesome. For me no need for the drive pedals. I do run eq in loop.
    I don’t think there is any trick micing the amps to make them sound good. It’s easy to get a great sound out of either.

wntbtw and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. J E H

J E H Active Member

I have a 1984 JCM800 BOX amp -- 2 12" speakers. IT has really been through it. New tubes and cleaned up-- still has the vintage sound. SIMPLE design. No digitals. As I have said before, the JCM<2000 head TSL100-- toomany problems. Great sounding -- if it is working. PC board shot, too hot. Too much $ to repair. I use the Fender Supersonic and the JCM800-. really does sound awesome.

Mitchell Pearrow and SHREDNECK like this.
  5. 6550

6550 Member

Cool comparison.... in your video I like the 900 better. That surprises me because I grew up playing a 2205 and have never owned a dual Reverb because everyone says they suck.

6. Marshall4Metal

The beauty of the 900 is not only does it have that classic Marshall tone it's also versatile . There's really nothing the amp can't do. It absolutely nails early Def Leppard and Dio I mean spot on. Gain max on Channel A all knobs straight up except mids 4 treble 6.5. 900's are darker than a 2203 so you can dial in more treble. This setting on channel A absolutely nails High N Dry . This same setting on channel B with my SD-1 gets Vivian Campbells Dio tone I mean so close you really can't tell a difference. These settings are room volume at band volume i'd dial in more bass and back down the treble.

Truth be told I've been hoarding my 900 using my SS amps because I didn't want to put the hours on my 2000$ Marshall . But life is to short for that mentality .Corona virus made me realize i'm not going to live forever no point in treating it like a restored 66 Vette I mean what am I really saving it for I can't take it with me as much as i'd like to. It's not coming off the top of my stack again until it needs new tubes.

7. Gutch220

you paid $2,000 for a JCM900?

8. Marshall4Metal

A new Reissue JCM900 4100 Made in England I bought it 5 years ago. Sweetwater wants 3000 for a 2203 Reissue bro. You want tone you have to pay unless you buy used and we all know buying a tube amp used has it's pitfalls. My amp is perfect zero problems . There's your answer dog.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  9. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Uses 1990s JCM900 Dual Reverbs can be had for around 500 € (Germany). They used to be even less, but since they get positive press these days, they seem to rise a little since a few months. They overtook the all-time bargain TSL's ;)

Crikey likes this.
  10. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Mine was $2200 (Australian money) new in 1993 with the 1960a cab. They seem to be worth nothing on the second hand market now.

Its an amp I will never sell.

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  11. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I like the 5881’s JCM 900 dual most people go for the EL34’s. Awesome amp especially as you get about 3 on the master in a bigger room .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. fat_lenny

I had my 5881 JCM900 modded to EL34 spec.

Slight improvement, but I'm not convinced it was enough of a change to go through it again if I had another one.

I rarely use channel B, just crank channel A.

If I am playing at home I use an attenuator rather tan turn the amp down. In a pub, the amp is awesome.

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

I think, once everybody knew, that the preamp and major parts of the distortion in the DR's is based or generated by opamps and diodes, nobody liked them. I remember the music instrument press back in the 90s were alla bout pure tube signal path, and only tubes get the "correct" saturation we all want. HEck, back then and even way into my amp-DYI times I wasn't convinced of anything other than pure tube signal path and distortion. Guess which amp I like best now and since a few years? The Jubilee :dude:

And the DR is on my list of "give em another chance" amps.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  14. Gutch220

I was just asking because you can get used ones from the 90's for under $800 all day long.

15. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

My recently acquired JCM900 MkIII 50 watt 2500 and 100 watt 2100, early 1990 models with factory EL34's.

jcm90001.jpg

jcm90002.jpg

16. fat_lenny

There is a 50W MkIII for sale here for $800 (probably $500-600 US). Been considering grabbing it.

17. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

I provided backline for Dio Desciples and they requested the 4100 DR. Craig Goldy was playing and it sounded awasome and he did not use a OD, just channel A and crank it.

Mitchell Pearrow and fat_lenny like this.
  18. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

If it has chassis mounted tube sockets DO IT!! My 100 watt is gutted and on my workbench at the moment. Got the rest of the refurbishing parts in this week. All new jacks and pots.

19. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a '98 JCM 900 4102 DR, which is a 100 watt 2x12 combo. It's one of my favorite amps. The only pedal I use with it is a boost pedal through the loop for solos. I got it for dirt cheap, and it has been one of my gigging amps along with my JVM 205C.

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. fat_lenny

What boost do you use? I tend to not use and overdrive pedals with my 4100 as they dont seem to add anything. Which is fine, because I really like the sound going straight into the head.

Interesting in the video in the original post, I actually prefer the sound of the 4100. Wouldn't turn knock either back though.