JCM800! Why can't Marshall get it right!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Active Member

We know how great the JCM800 series is and how good it sounds. I have always felt that they should take that platform and build off of that. All the mods you see that have been done to those amps. Why can't they just see that and build the amps the way the consumers want them? Instead of a newer series jcm900 ,2000,jvm. Its just not the same! IE the JMP 2204/2203 with FX loop,auto bias, half power switch maybe switch between modes and gain boost but still retain original tone too.

2. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

They would if everyone would agree to pay the $6000 price for a head.

btw: the JVM is basically an 800. without the Drakes etc. different voicing etc.

3. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Not everybody wants an 800, and if they re-released it it would not be cheaper than finding one on craig's list and furthermore all the corksniffers will still hunt down the vintage ones cause they have 'that sound'. :D

Kid Klash, matt3310, Esc and 4 others like this.
  4. medicjg

medicjg Well-Known Member

Excellent point. They made the MKII for a very long time and there are many out there to be had. When the used market dries up and the old ones become as hard to come by as a 60s plexi or JTM in say 2088 then a company like marshall will probably see some profit in producing a mkII in the vein of something say like the YJM. Perhaps buy that time the JMD 28 will probably be able to duplicate every Marshall made up to that point with the ability to change virtual tubes and transformers and modifications from your IPAD. So what would be the point? Everything will probably be digital at that point. Who knows acoustic drums were predicted to be a thing of the past as well and that hasnt happened yet either. Rest assured though if Marshall could make a buck producing an amp like the OP stated im sure they would no doubt be making them.

Quasar-Kid likes this.
  5. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

This 2nd time around Digital invasion will make inroads, and then people will just go back to amps again like what happened the 90's.
    They got it right with tube amps.
    Even Axe Fx will outsmart themselves.

Quasar-Kid likes this.
  6. Toby Krewbs

Toby Krewbs Member

Having used every modelling amp/device/software etc...live and in the studio for the last 25 years I am happy to say I have recently gone back (or forward) to using several tube amps one of which is a JCM800 model 4010 combo. It is hands down the best amp I have ever owned and I have owned many. I would love to have another one but realize that some things change or go away for various reasons. I too was frustrated for a while but accepted the fact that those amps are pretty much gone and my other tube amps( Fender BDRI/HRDLXiii both w/6V6s'/Egnater Tweaker and Crate V1512T etc...) get me much closer than any modelling stuff ever will to organic tones. The JCM800 and other older Marshalls are instruments themselves. That's why we love them as much or more than our guitars.Every time I get my JCM out for cleaning /biasing/just letting some electrons reform the caps etc... I end up playing the damn thing for 2 hours LOL!

CRobbins and plexilespaul like this.
  7. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

The JCM800 and other older Marshalls are instruments themselves. That's why we love them as much or more than our guitars.Every time I get my JCM out for cleaning /biasing/just letting some electrons reform the caps etc... I end up playing the damn thing for 2 hours LOL!

Exactly.

I always thought that Marshall should have made a 2204/2203 with just a simple lead boost, like the SL X....without the cheapening of the transformers, less power supply....fuzzy, thin gain, etc.

No offense to SL X owners....but hey, compared to an older 800, or JMP...well, there is no comparison.

And...to get a DSL or TSL to sound remotely as good, you need new transformers, choke, NOS tubes, blah blah....

Been there.

But, there is always the price point thing, and I get it, from a business standpoint, and Marshall is successful for a reason....

j-co likes this.
  8. medicjg

medicjg Well-Known Member

I agree with you aussie. I will be an old grey haired bastard lugging around my 2210 and cussing the kids with there digital rigs. No doubt about that. I think that only technology will improve in the future and it will probably be possible to tweak the digital wonder down to resistor values, type of transformer and brand of tubes. Instead of ordering vacuum tubes it will be a plug in down load or maybe available in the original amplifier. Virtual cab that allows you to pick your brand and model of speaker and possibly determine the percentage of wear that speaker has. Im being conceptual here and this may be after im dead but I think that it will get there eventually. Now how good it will be compared to the real thing I guess that will be the question. I dont use anything digital other than a digital reverb and delay but I think as technology improves so will the faux rigs..

9. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

You know, geeezzz, a great deal of this is hype. Yes, the 800 series, JMPs etc. had some very good sonic qualities..

But I disagree with anyone that says you cannot get similar BUT DIFFERENT tones that are just as good in their own way from the newer stuff. To disagree aside from playing the 'subjective' card is pure idiocy.

The older stuff is cool NO DOUBT..I've owned a few myself, but they have their shortcomings man, something that some can or cannot deal with..

It's really all what you want and need from your rig depending on your musical direction/course..

I think people garner them more because their in short supply as they are no longer in production.

I've heard JVMs (for the first time last weekend)..and DSLs (of course) sound every bit as cool as ALL the Marshalls I have heard over the past 25 fucking years...

All I am saying is not to 'blindly' buy into the 'older is better' paradigm without first judging for yourself with your own ears.

10. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

and as i explained already to you,
    they build amps the way most consumers want them...
    DSL is one of the best selling amps ever, while the JVM is the best selling 50/100 watt unit at this moment... they still make 2203's 1959's, 4100's and god know what else, but the only UK-made things that sell at the moment are JVM's
    you've been bragging and whining about this for a whole year or even more... don't you think it's time to let it rest and share something useful with us?

geez man... get a life...

11. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am on the same page as the OP. i have owned a lot of Marshall amps in my 40 years of playing and tend to gravitate toward the pre-1990 circuits. As far as 2203 I have owned many including reissues. They always sounded thin and buzzy to me until I heard Wycked Lesters 1982 JCM 2203, wow! This prompted me to search out and buy a 1981 JMP 2203. Between my JMP, Plexi, JCM800 2210 and old Bassman I have all the tone I need. I sold the boogies and bogner etc etc. Still have a Mark III JCM 900 and diesel VH4 (Kids toys ) around But the older Marshall's get all the action.

I installed effect loops in my amps In addition to a point to point turret board with carbon composite resistors sozo capacitors in my Plexi. This is tweaked to my liking.

Just my .02$

12. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Can you be my dad?

13. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

According to Jim, that was the reason for the 900 series!

Viking62 likes this.
  14. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

:lol:

15. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

if I can just get my powerscaling in I'll be happy.:D

16. AbelsKeepeR

AbelsKeepeR New Member

You have to get an amp that sounds decent to begin with at a price point that consumers (gear slutz) like us can afford, and that we can mod (upgrade) it into that "sound" we all been searching for all our lives. Like one of the other posters stated Marshall could put one out with all mods we want, but at a price point few of us could afford, or would be willing to put out for. They make em, but their "Boo Tiq'z", and I can"t afford one...or could, but am not willing to put out that kind of jack for! lol

17. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the 2203/2204 is so expensive to re-issue?

Compared to all the bigger newer amps made in the UK, they are bone head simple in design and parts count.

Most new owners of a JCM 800 want the same thing, at first...

--Less bright and brittle distortion
    --More gain
    --Better volume control

After some quality time, in the right playing environment ( IE at drummer volumes ), matched to the correct speaker ( G12-65 ), tuned right ( select tubes & bias ect...), and understanding the EQ controls...

Either the lightbulb goes off in their heads, and they say " OH, I get it now. " OR they realize they bought the wrong amp for their needs.

18. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

labour

19. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

I've sunk enough money into repairs and NOS tubes for my tsl to buy 2 2203s, just to go spend 200 bucks on a 20 watt Jet City head and like it more.

I liked the 800 2203x I had for a month, just felt that it wasn't right for me at that time. Maybe now...

20. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Yes , no question the 800 series amps have earned there place in Marshall's tone palace , great amps !! But for those of you who have not had a chance to play a 6100 on CH#2 , i would dare say that Marshall DID take the modified 800 tone to new levels in this chassis !

anitoli likes this.