JCM800 Reissue 100W vs Studio Classic 20W

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DIMILLIONE, Aug 1, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

They sound the same. I had a SC20H and 2204 in the same room and did a sound and volume test. Volume 1 is the same on both amps, great for home play. :yesway:

2. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

So I say the amps are nicely built but use low cost components.

What part is wrong with that statement?

And yes, I am quite sure I know what I am talking about.

Please, by all means let me know what transformers are used in those amps?

And please do not show up here and start posting shit in caps, normal keys are just fine.

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I read from a couple owners that had marshall and Ceriatone they said the Ceriatones didnt roar like marshalls

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly. i liked both amps though.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

thats why you should play authentic when possible.

6. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

Actually you don't know wtf you are talking about. I have repaired and built my own amps and owned a Ceriatone Trainwreck along with having played thru one of their ODS and Yeti rigs. Nik sources quality components and sells one hell of a lot of amps and now pedals. You may not like his stuff, internet corksniffers always have their reasons, you seem to have yours. As for my use of caps to accentuate my comment, I will continue to speak and post my opinion AS I PLEASE and if you can't deal with it, that's YOUR problem, not mine.

7. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

These 100 watt to 20 watt (or visa versa) comparison videos are a bit pointless (IMO), unless the only point is to compare "recordings" of the 2 amps.

9. drolaw

drolaw Member

To me a 20 watt will sound the same but it won't feel the same. I have the 100 watt Jubilee and the 20 watt version and the missing link for me is the girth of the 100 watt cannot be duplicated on a 20 watt.

With that being said, I bought the 20 watt for gigging and paired it with a 1x12 cab - easier on my back. I leave the 100 watt at home and use a hot plate but love the feel of the 100 watt better.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

50 watts is the best of both worlds.

Mitchell Pearrow and JCMDOUG like this.
  11. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

The 20 watt was a bit thin to my ears. If you like speakers breaking up to add to your tone then the 100 watt is the way to go.

12. JacksonCharvelAddict

I am sure the 20 watts are great. Especially if you have never played through a 100 watter. Once you feel that punch in the chest it is super hard to go back. I guess the saying is true "Once you go stack, you never go back".

13. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

I dunno. While nothing beats the feel of a large amp, I think the videos highlight whether or not the smaller, low wattage version is tonally similar or misses the mark. I think, based on the video, that the 20 watt sounds great and is indeed "worthy".

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

If all you care about is the recorded sound they are likely really similar. But at that point a Kemper or Fractal would give the same or better results depending on your micing skills and the skills of whoever made the cabinet impulse that the Kemper/Fractal is using.

15. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

Again, I dunno. I just bought a SV20 and I can say that it has incredible feel and sound at a "reasonable" level. I don't have a Kemper (but I know someone who does) and, while it's an impressive tool, I like the sound and feel coming from my amp better.
    I happen to care about both playing and recording. I have had a 2203 for over 25 years and I am very familiar with the sound both live and recorded. I ran a small studio from 1996 until 2015.

I think the SC20 does a great job in representing that tonality. If someone wants the large iron 2203 or plexi, they are out there. If someone wants that in a smaller package without resorting to a digital platform, I'm glad that is available too. If someone wants a Kemper, go for that as well.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  16. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have a Kemper and I have large tube amps. I don't know if it's the big iron in the transformers or what but the bigger amps sound better to me. I like the small ones just fine but the big ones just hit the spot. I do think that one big benefit to the SV series is the portability. These things are so portable and they sound 90% as good as the big amps. For me I like the sound of amp in the room while im playing. I can get that with a Kemper and cab/power amp.

tidbit likes this.
  17. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

Everyone is different and hears differently. A plexi, while nice, is totally a useless waste of money for me as there is no place I play that I could crank it hence if I can get 90 -95% there with a smaller package, that's money well spent. Making the soundguy / bar owner happy is an added bonus.

When I first got my JMP I ran it loud and proud thru a full stack. Times changed as well as musical tastes and that eventually became a half stack and now it's reserved primarily for large indoor stages and outside. It's cold here 6 months out of the year and many of the bigger venues are gone so you gotta roll with the changes. So far the SV20 seems to be able to fill that void with minimal compromise and a fair amount of pluses.
    I was torn between a smaller version of an amp I knew and loved, the 2203 and the one that I've been lusting after, the plexi. Ultimately I decided for some new tonal options.

I tried the Kemper (not thru a cab). It wasn't for me but I'm not going to disparage it as junk. I thought it was a useful tool, just not what I was ultimately looking for. There was one for sale around here right before I took the plunge on the SV20 for not that much more money. Hell, I still use a pod 3 for recording bass for it's simulations so I do understand that appeal.

18. JacksonCharvelAddict

The Kemper has a little bit of a learning curve. It took me weeks to get it to sound right. It also helps to get profiles that sound the way you want. The Sv20 is a good amp. Glad you are able to gig it. Most venues around here prefer you to go direct these days so I'm glad I have the Kemper.

tidbit and Mitchell Pearrow like this.