JCM800 Reissue 100W vs Studio Classic 20W

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DIMILLIONE, Aug 1, 2019.

1. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

Hello everyone, here's a new thread that compere the new Studio Classic 20W and the original 100W JCM800. Overall people really happy with them, but are they really recreate the legendary sound of the JCM800? Some say it's lacking headroom and that kick in a chest that you get with the original one, but is it necessary? Cause to me it sounds really close to the original JCM800.
    The main question is in bedroom levels would you get a better tone from the 100W (MV on 1) or the 20W that is pretty loud even on 5W. Of course you can gig with both, this days with PA nobody will let you run your JCM800 pass 3 on MV.

I really want to hear your thoughts and experience with both of them so people will know what they are getting and what will suit them best.

Both made in UK so we're talking top quality

Here is a video that compare both:

2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

The overall tone sounds similar in the video. The 100 watt one has a more complex sound to me.

3. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

The 100 watt absolutely does have more headroom and produces the bottom end more smoothly. But I agree with "how much of that is necessary" in a live setting. I personally feel the bottom end isn't what I'd be looking for in this amp. I don't own either but I do own the SV20 and the comparison to the big brother plexis is similar.

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

The Studio sounds like it's balls haven't dropped yet.

5. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Preamp circuit is exactly the same. Until you push the power amp, it'll sound the same ..The power amp is 20 watt instead of 100.. so you can push it and run out if headroom sooner.... that's the whole point. Complaining that 20 watt is less headroom than 100 is like complaining beer is only~5%alcohol when whiskey is 40... if you want to be able to push you power amp and 100 watt is to much, get the 20 watt.. it has only 20 watts of headroom... THAT IS THE POINT... and if 20 watts doesn't shake your bedroom walls, go ahead with a 2203
    J

plexilespaul, tidbit, LCW and 11 others like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

To me, none of the amps in this video sound like the ones I’m familiar with from these models.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

The big one sounds much better.

Mitchell Pearrow and FogDweller like this.
  8. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Active Member

Meet in the middle and get a 2204.. that’s what I’m doing!

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Excellent comparison, nice playing as well,
    I think the big one has more thump , but they both conveigh the same message!
    Either one is an excellent choice!
    Cheers Mitch

FogDweller likes this.
  10. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Exactly. Those of us who have owned 2203s—ESPECIALLY those of us who have owned 2203s before attenuators were popular—understand exactly how much headroom those amps have.

I get PLENTY of punch live with the SC20—that’s what the PA is for.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Excellent post and an accurate analogy @johan.b!

14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

15. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

Actually no but hope to get back to it in the near future, I'm was recording some stuff but it was mainly with plugins now with this setup the quality will raise a lot!

You said you have a Creamback 65 speaker, I know it's a great one, I was thinking about replacing the V-Type that comes with the SC212, that I aslo have in my Fender Custom 68 but got lost with options, I got only one store in the country that sells speakers and they always out of stock ( Maybe better for me, less spending ) I had a dilemma between Creamback 65 or 75 then Vintage 30 got into the picture ( The Marshall one that made in U.K, don't like the Chinese one much ), What can you suggest?

16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well I've read that the V-Type are quite good, lots of folks like them. Is there something about them that you don't like? If you're thinking about replacing both speakers in your SC212, I'd recommend two Greenbacks. I'm not a fan of V30s.

I see that you don't like the Chinese made speaker, I don't know why I think they're just fine. Have you really giving them a good listen? My Creamback 65 is a made in China speaker and it sounds great. Anyway, two Greenbacks or even two Creambacks would be my choice for the cab.

17. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

My only question on the comparison is if you used a dB meter so both those amps were being recorded at the same sound level. My apologies if you stated they were but I just woke up and have not finished my coffee.

As for people saying the big boy has more headroom is stating the obvious and I do not believe that is what the OP was trying to compare. To me it was a general sound comparison between two preamp circuits are supposed to be pretty much the same.

18. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

Comparing a 20 watter against a 100 watter is like comparing apples to oranges, they are two VERY different animals. The JCM 800 is Godzilla and when you have a real NEED for Godzilla to get the job done, then that's what you choose, but if you don't, then look around. I suggest looking at the lunchbox amps at Ceriatone, incredible tone at very affordable prices.

19. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

I personally would just make my own instead of getting anything from Ceriatone so I could select quality parts.

I understand Nik (or his people) put the amps together nice but use low cost components.

20. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

EXCUSE ME?

low cost components? put together nice?

You clearly do not know what you are talking about.