JCM800 Bass Series.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kilsin, Mar 3, 2009.

1. happythrasher

happythrasher New Member

I have one of these beauties. I've had it for a while but only just started using it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. happythrasher

happythrasher New Member

That Boss Super Distortion & Feedbacker isn't the best though. I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive on it's way which should be a tad more subtle.

3. demonufo

demonufo New Member

Actually the horizontal era came in mid 1984. By May of 1984, they were all Horizontals, although there may be a bit of blurring in the timelines for the export amps.

And being more "bass series" specific, the 1992 was majorly redesigned (I think around 1986) to be more suitable for modern bass playing and much less suitable for guitar. These are quite a different circuit to the original 1992, and even have an active EQ. These are much more difficult to coax any dirt out of, and are not ideal for guitar, and ARE better off being modded to the original style 1992/1959 circuit, since they weren't really much good for bass either, IMO.
    If Elroy447's amp is from 1987, I suspect it will be one of these. I wonder how he is getting on with it now...

4. elroy443

elroy443 Member

sorry lads, havent been on here in a while.

ive been using it for about 7 months now and to be honest.......i absolutely fucking love it. its totally taken over from my tsl and ac30. It just handles distortion in a completely different way to any amp ive ever used before. the only way i can describe it is this(and i pre-emptively apologise): when i put a distortion box in front of the tsl its almost as if it panics and whips up a fuss to the point where its just too fuzzy and muddy to get anything done. now, when i do the same with the 800, it shapes the distortion in an amazing way.its really hard to describe unless you've experienced it but for me its heaven. im so glad i bought this amp,ive bought another cab since, a laney 2x12 with greenbacks and it sounds awesome through that,sounds awesome through my 1960a cab....lads it'd sound awesome through a fucking roland cube. the eq section is astonishing, so responsive and its really really loud.ive used it for every gig since ive had it.

yeah,im buzzing off this amp.if you find one buy one.

5. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

My 1992 is a 1984 amp by SN and has vertical inputs and an active EQ. I am fairly certain ALL JCM 1992s have the active EQ, rather than some transitional year where it goes from vintage to modern. It's hard to get much consensus given the rarity of these amps, but I haven't come across any example of an amp with different controls from mine (other than the input jack orientation).

You are absolutely right aout the difficulty coaxing dirt out of the amp. Tube breakup doesn't really happen until about 8 and then (with pick attack) you're basically getting AC/DC. HOWEVER, the synopsis that these are not well suited for guitar amps ignores a crucial element: boosting the amp with pedals.

Take a 1959 or 2203 and boost with a pedal. What you get is a coloring of the tone, which is the Gold standard of boosting a Marshall. The 1992 is the rule breaker. The pedal isn't a Tone-colorer... it is a more essential component in the chain that is responsible for the dirt itself rather than shaping the pre-existing distortion. Not what most people want/look for in such an amp, but this deviation from the norm does something different... in a good way.

I am glad you continue to enjoy yours. I need to retube mine (deciding between more KT88s or going back to 6550s). What dirt are you using these days?

6. elroy443

elroy443 Member

hey man,how are you?

im mainly using a tube distortion/overdrive pedal my brother made for me, a boss mega distortion and sometimes a boss eq. It sounds good with anything though. Hasnt givin me a moments hassle either+you wouldn't know its on,so quiet. I really cant say enough good things about it.

7. elroy443

elroy443 Member

also, the clean is great:thumb:

8. elroy443

elroy443 Member

just wondering if anyone has any decent sound clips of their jcm800 bass with guitar? be interested to hear what distortion sounds people can pull from them

9. kilsin

kilsin New Member

I have one, what is it worth in the u.s.? tube sockets have been replaced and the power tubes, other than that i believe it is all original. very loud and only over-driven at loud volumes. takes pedals beautifully though. i'm try to downsize in pedals and wattage these days. if i had more income i'd just keep it. ebaying it soon.

10. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I too use a 1992 superbass for guitar. I was looking for an amp with good cleans, to try my pedals. I stumbled across the jcm superbass, but with the vintage superbass tones in mind (I was a Tool-drooler). All I got was great cleans and that was it, and thought, "oh, just a real bass amp then". But then i tried a stompbox and i was blown off my feet! Been playing this powerhouse every day since. You need to set the volume at 9 o'clock to start getting the real vibe through, which is pretty loud, but not deafening. I use a Blackout Musket Fuzz, an Emma Reezafratzitz and a Hardwire Metal pedal, they all sound awesome, loads of bottom end, searing highs. I tried MXR and Boss boxes too but this amp works as a great pedal tester: it sees right through them :naughty: I play the superbass through a closed Avatar cab with celestions. If you're into Mastodontic sounds, try this one.

11. sonification

sonification New Member

Hi, I also have a 100W JCM 800 bass amp, (stacked input),..using it for guitar. I used JMP 50W bass amps in the past, driving them with a tubescreamer and graphic as an additional booster. Did the usual thing and sold them for next to nothing,.. played with various FX racks and found myself looking for an early bass amp again,.. JMPs going for ££ so started building a #1986 JMP 50W clone. Meantime the JCM 800 bass came up so...
    The amp is really nice and warms up a POD (on JCM800 model of course), Ibanez TS7, or UE300 multi FX is also nice but needs a bit more boost (need another graphic/micro amp). My amp is fitted with 5881 (6L6) power tubes as standard too which may make it a bit cleaner than others. Anyone else got these ? cheers andrew

12. g9j

g9j New Member

Hi guys,
    It's 2015 and the thread seems a little old... so in today's context what would the value of a Marshall JCM800 super bass mk2 be...mine is in a great condition and I just cannot find any on offer on ebay or anywhere else.

Attached Files:

13. DMacF

DMacF New Member

Found the discussion around pedals very interesting. I have a JCM 800 Bass Series that has 6 knobs and four inputs. I had it jumped for most of the time I owned it but saw a video by JD Simo going over his set up and he reccos plugging into one input and turning up the volume on the second channel, it works! But as far as an overdrive pedal, take the endorsement of Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Satriani and some more recent adoptees and get a BK Butler Tube Driver. In front of a 1992 it is phenomemal AND it acts as an attenuator that enables tone shaping, doesn't squeeze the crap out of your sound. I chased these on Ebay for two years and BK got sick of seeing clones and saw how muchthey were going for...put them back in production: http://www.butleraudio.com

14. Marshian

Marshian New Member

Just purchased one of them - fantastic sounding amp. Previous owner adds two (!) line out connections. I want to return to the original, but considering to leave xlr output. What do you think? Do you see any other unnecessary mods / changes?

https://goo.gl/photos/ComXGX65ChWMjCDh9

15. Benny Meerstra

Benny Meerstra New Member

Sounds great with a H&k tubeman.
    But I need a little more brightness, have mij treble on 10. It's oké but sometimes I need a little bit more.
    Is there some kind of mod to brightning m up a bit?