JCM800 2203 Reissue re-tubing (more gain)

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by DavidL.Roth, May 20, 2011.

1. DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth New Member

Okay, so I've owned this amp for a half year now.
    Bought it brand new.
    I boost it with Ibanez TS-9 to get more juice out of it, but I'm wishing to get more punch without that needed.
    All the tubes are original right now.

At this point I want to keep it unmodded cause I still got two and a half years of warranty left, so I don't want to ruin it if something goes wrong.

So, which pre-amp and power tubes you suggest me getting to get more gain and less "british" sound out of it?
    I'm into 80's hard rock bands such as Van Halen, XYZ, Badlands, Def Leppard etc you name it.
    And that kind of tone would be perfect for my needs.
    It just lacks the punch in demped notes and sustain in solos in it's original form.

-Dave

2. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

Higher output pickups in your guitar would help for starters. Those amps are very responsive to what's driving the front of them.

There are different tubes you can select for your preamp to get a little bit more gain but no tube is going to drastically alter your tone.

3. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

wait...you want 80's band tone which is all pretty much 2203's but, you don't want.....Brit tone? Thats contradictory man. If you want more gain you can get specialy graded hi gain preamp tubes but, to really get a more gainy tone there's some mods you can do as well but, i don't know them. Good luck man:)

4. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

You're not gonna make a drastic change in the gain of the amp without mods. The effect you get from valves is VERY subtle...no "magic valves" are going to alter the gain of the preamp enough to not need a front end boost like what you're using now.

Sorry but...circuit design and component values have all control over the gain of the preamp.

5. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

+1

6. TradAmpGuy

TradAmpGuy New Member

+2

7. DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth New Member

I am using Seymour Duncan SH-4 pickups, and they dont lack punch.
    And what would those tubes be?

+3

Maybe I came up with wrong kind of description.
    I want my amp to sing and scream, I want to hold those notes.
    By brit tone I mean that AC/DC kind of distortion.
    Lets face it, AC/DC tone aint like Def Leppard.
    With Ibanez TS-9 I can achieve that, but I was hoping to get it with tube changing.
    My 2203 just lacks that certain punch and sustain I'm looking, unless I crank it to 6-8.

Now, if there is something I could do with tubes, please share the information (give me the names).
    Thank you!

-Dave

8. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Well-Known Member

Dave,
    do crank it then.

With an attenuator.

9. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

I'll say it again...you're not gonna take the amp from "classic overdrive" to "80s overdrive" without having to use a front end boost unless you mod it. There are no magic valves that will take an amp with "classic" gain levels and supercharge it to "80s high gain". Valves don't make night/day transformations in an amp's character unless you're running really shitty valves. The valves are not the limiting factor here. It's inherent in the circuit design and component values.

It's all varying levels of "brit tone". What you meant to state is that you're more into the "high gain" brit sound over the "classic" brit sound.

10. stevie

stevie New Member

Hey , you could try using some Harma DR 270 pre amp valves , they not to expensive £ 14 ea ,, and JJ Tesla output valves would do the job quite nicely without breaking the bank ... dont forget the biasing when you fit the new valves .. :)