Jcm1 Values Plunging?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by OU812, Feb 3, 2019.

1. OU812

OU812 Active Member

With the release of the new excellent studio series of amps, what happens to those of us who bought the super expensive JCM1.? The limited addition series that they released seven years ago is likely not worth much anymore. I always thought they were way over priced. Thoughts?

JacksonCharvelAddict and tce63 like this.
  2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    My thoughts are anyone buying amps for investment potential is in for a let down.
    Unless you head back into the past a long way, used amps are all worth less than their original asking prices.

3. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I had four of these....all except JVM. I sold them a year or so ago and did ok. Probably (not sure) ate a few bucks but not much. Yes, they were over priced and over hyped by some of the owners. I don’t think they will ever be collectible. But, there is a market for them so you won’t get killed. If they were 5W instead of 1W I would have kept one of them.....probably the JTM. The JMP did not scratch my Plexi itch at all. The 800 was ok. The DSL was ok too.

4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I bought a jtm 1 offset head and matching cab when they came out , didn't like it at all . Literally swapped for a mint 61 reissue SG a couple of months later . Didn't really like that either so sold it . Anyway , what I'm getting at is you don't need to get stuck with something because you will loose too much money swap/exchange is a good option .

5. OU812

OU812 Active Member

I think the 800 sounds good and I did not buy it as an investment. I’ve seen crazy prices on the model used previously, why would someone buy it now when you can get the studio series?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

What about the DSL then... there's a1 water in the DSL line costing very little...
    J

7. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i brought the jtm, jmp, jcm heads , and I haven't played tru them recently , but i'll hang on to them and use them again , but I am better at buying than I am selling and have got several tube amps and when the mood takes me I do have a play on various ones, but don't you find that you have phase's on different amps and at the moment my head is heavily into the 2525c with a 2x12 greenback H/M mix , and I recently got a 2525x head and being playing that tru a 2x12 of g12 80's that I've had from 1981

I like to have projects and one of my next ones is a 1981 g12 65 that has a wizzer funnel (PA speaker), and I thought i'd remove the cap , remove the wizzer funnel, and replace the cap by gluing it carefully , and use that with the 3one watt heads on and keep that set up in the louge, for sessions in there, but a guy on here did do this on another 65 with a wizzer and said its tricky but does work really well

8. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

I would much rather have uk made jcm that had 5 and 20 watt option.

I think i am one of many.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: if you're talking about the little one watt 50th anniversary JCM amps, then I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about the value plummeting now that the new Studio Classic (JCM 20 watt amps) are on the market.

The 50th anniversary are limited edition and unique. Though I doubt you'll see any serious return on resale at the present moment, in time (way 20 years) they'll be worth something.

But like others have said, if you wanted to get rich off your investment in amplifiers, you're probably gonna be disappointed. Typically, vintage guitars generally get more money on the used market than vintage amps (assuming both are in great condition, are of the same time period (to be fair in comparison), and barring any unique detail such as a famous previous owner). I've been to a few auction, and in my experience vintage amplifier rarely sell for more money than an vintage guitar. But that doesn't mean you should stop taking care of your stuff or sell off some limited edition gear.

The choice is yours, but I'd say if you purchased one of the 50th anniversary one watt amps, you have a special piece.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I so agree with this post.

To add to it, there is a resale shelf life for all gear, a window of opportunity to get equal or close to what was paid for it.
    Imo, if anyone is holding on to gear with the thinking that when the stuff hits the fan, they can sell their gear, not good.
    Keep it because you dig it. Better to sell gear you really don't use now, as you have more time to find someone who will come close to what your asking.

The times were living in, its not so much the gear is losing value, its becoming harder to make the money to buy it. The pool of people that have the money to spend is shrinking, and they have the ability to buy the newest things.

Imo, if one can't take a loss on a piece of gear, one then can't afford it. Buying anything over a grand is a big decision, make sure its something one can't live without. Gears value is based on a lot of factors. Imo, the biggest being, is if there is still a demand for it, and do people still have the means to buy it at that price.

Just stuff to think about.......:2c:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  11. OU812

OU812 Active Member

As of said before, I did not buy it as an investment. I was just wondering what you all thought would happen to the values now that you can get basically the same thing with a lot more features and wattage for a little bit more money.

12. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I don't think they do the same job. Even 5 watts cranked is going to be too loud for the home.
    I had my JCM1 going flat out into a 212 with two Creamback 65's in my little studio this afternoon. I had it on the 0.1 watt setting. The tone was great, the amp could not be heard by my wife sat watching TV in the living room. You could not do this with the new 20/5 watt amps, plus they are twice the price.
    The new combos are a big let down. For perspective the JTM, JMP and JCM 1 watt amps have a higher spec 10" speaker that the new SV/SC combos. Marshall cocked up here. A £1000 20w valve combo should have a quality 12" speaker in it, end of.

13. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Don't know what they were new when they first came out.

There is this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...h=item2ac36446f1:g:W44AAOSwPNhcTMgv:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-J...=item3d81b411e2:g:C3UAAOSw6hNcUBb1:rk:14:pf:0

I know you say you did not buy as an investment, but your OP above, is set in the language of one.

"Limited edition series" itself, screams of investment, even if you did not buy it as such. Price comes down to how many are out there still working, and what are people willing to pay for one.

Before the internet, "limited edition series" in anything collectable meant something, and one would probably make money on it. Now with the internet, we see just how many are really out there, and the price more than likely goes down. This is not set in stone.

If people aren't selling what you have, you still could get a good price.

Hope this helps.

14. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I really wanted to buy one of these (still do) just for fun. I looked around recently before buying my DSL 201, and I either couldn’t find any I liked or they were still out of my price range.

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

In my opinion anyone buying gear as an investment is foolish!

16. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

You can build a rig around those 1 watt heads. As a player, I HOPE the price plummets but I don't see why it would.

stringtree likes this.
  17. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Member

The main one that is holding all it's value is the JCM1, I've seen sold listings for the head at around a grand, nor so much recently though. They are cool little amps anyway. Buy/play 'em cause they sound good, not cause they are collectables. Can't wait to get my JVM1 out of layaway from the pawn shop. As for the DSL1, it has an advantage over the new 1 watt head, it has a gain, as well as a volumes for the classic gain channel, new one only has volume. Keep it, enjoy it, be happy is my thoughts.

18. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

My guess is the Andertons Marshall JTM145 will exceed it's value for a long time. The rest won't crash because of the Studio series. They'll still be in demand due to their relative rarity. Once the Studios are commonplace, the 1 watters will be more desirable.

19. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Can’t see how those 1 watters sold.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

I just love them because they sound incredible, up to any house volume.

Have the JCM and JMP from the anniversary line. JVM tattoo series matching head and cab. And a DSL1HR that I snagged for $149.

I cycle the heads through my living room, running into a 1x10 Marshall cabs.

This is what's currently in here.

[​IMG]

Heck, I let my DSL40CR go, because I think the 1HR does it better.

Judging from the ebay prices above, they haven't budged. I'd expect people asking over $500 used.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.