Jcm 800 To Jcm 900 Any Truth?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

So, the answer to my question is...……...depends on who you ask, LOL!
    Ok, maybe you 800 guys can answer this one.
    Was the 2205 a turd? I know it suffered from the "can hear the clean ch thing" but besides that, was it the worse sounding 800?

Back in the early 2000's I had at one time a 1987X, JCM 800 2205, a 6100LE, JCM 900 DR w/5881s, and a Jubilee 2553. At that time I liked the 6100LE and the 2553 the best. I remember thinking the 900 sounded thin and weak and to me the 2205 sounded real mushy, with no clarity or note definition. Maybe I had a bad one? For raw dirty tones, the Jubilee smoked them all. A short while afterwards the DSL came out and I liked it better than all the previous amps. To me, at the time, the DSL was similar to both the 6100LE and the 2553. Not maybe better but more user friendly and in the same ball park. So, I ended up selling off all those amps eventually. Of course right before they all sky rocketed in price :)

So, today the JCM 900 I have now is an EL34 version (early '93) and I don't think it sounds as bad as the one I had years ago. I prefer my DSL over it and think about selling. But, should I wait a few years when these sky rocket in price??? Or, will they?? Back when I sold my 2553, about two years later they were going for double what I sold mine for. I would hate to do that again!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Yugedrums

Yugedrums Well-Known Member

This is very true. I owned two MkIII's (50 watt versions, model 2500) and they are very similar to the sounds of the 2203/2204 models. They are great amps and as most JCM 900's these days, a great value for the still-low prices.

Sailindawg and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

No why?

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Never mind. You ruined my perry mason moment lol. I was gonna say if you do there is no difference then because I use a voodoo lab giggity which totally transforms the b channel. It takes any harshness or fizziness out and makes it awesome. So I respect your opinion more so now.

5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

JCM 900
    2100, 2101, 2500, 2501, 2502,
    are ALL very similar to JCM 800.
    ALL feature tube preamp, cascaded gain stages, diode clipping (removable), and a solid state effects loop, EL34 output tubes.
    YES they are all the same as an 800 !
    (minor tweaks and differences but essentially the same as 800)

JCM 900
    4100, 4101, 4102, 4500
    are NOT the same as a JCM 800.
    These feature a solid state / tube hybrid preamp, diode clipping. NOT the same as 800.

6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The answer is YES, and thanks for pointing that out.

7. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Had a EL34 900 dual reverb back in the day-I have a 800 2203x now-I don't think the two are anything alike.Both are great amps but very different

8. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

The 900's are great sounding amps that's all that matters.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Mitchell Pearrow and K2JLX like this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Just like the 800s the 900s have two distinctive amps designs that are different from each other. DRs and MKIIIs are very different designs.

The DRs are not like a 2203/4s. The MKIIIs are like 2203s but with a diode clip stage added. The SLX has an extra preamp tube instead.

2210/05s are rather different from 2203/4s among 800s.

10. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

The 2205 was far from a turd, the one I owned had gain on par with a dual rec. and had very good note definition.

11. Rockcity

Rockcity Active Member

I think there are two categories of players:
    1. Only room players
    2. Mixed room and gig ones

So there should be two types of answers. I am in the second category and for me there is no bad Marshall. Every each one of them I ever used, except broken, I could dial according to room/band's sound so I could be more or less satisfied. As a room player, I ask for more individual tone, every single harmonic or string to be heard individually and great.
    In a band, loud rock and roll band, I need grit and to cut thru. Which is not nice to be heard playing alone in a room. But it is effective in a band. More middle, presence or what it takes.
    Now, since I owned both and played dozens of both, I can tell that first JCM series are the best for my ears. More or exact to JMP 2203/2204. What happened later I really don't know. Many say it is because of PT and OT. But what I do know is that early 900 really sounded like the late 800. Not like early ones, that's for sure.

12. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have liked all the 900s I have played. I continue to talk shit about them since we all agreed to do so only to keep the prices low.

13. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

I hate my 900s they all sound bad.

I would like a 2100 MK III so I can hate that one just like my 2500 MK III.

If you can't get a good sound out of a 900 you need new hands

14. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

The MKIII is my favorite of the 900s it has JCM 800 in it's DNA and two master volumes and an effect loop.

15. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

These 900 threads ALWAYS play out the exact same way. Someone needs to do one of those animations about the 900 series just like they did with the DSL.

16. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

One of my first posts on this forum suggested that I was not the biggest DSL fan in the world. I am pretty sure that thread was quickly purged..lol

17. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I only owned one 900.....an SLX and it was great. I’ve owned several versions of 800 and they were all very good. Honestly, I never owned or played a bad or shitty valve Marshall. They were all a bit different and some I liked more than others. But none suck. Whether it was a version of 800, the SLX, JVM, 6100, 1959 SLP, Astoria, or 2555X they all have clear and distinct Marshall DNA which suits the style of Music I play. Sorry, but all this 900 sucks bullshit is more about the player than the amp.

18. mulletmule

mulletmule Active Member

I own both a 2203x and a 900 MKIII with EL-34's. I am going to do a comparison video to end this debate lol.

This early 900 allows you to dial in as much or completely out the diodes. And again the EL-34 tubes help make it closer to the 2203 lineage. Personally I love both amps. I do find it funny that so many purists slam diode clipping in the 900 but rave about the OD-1 or OCD they use in front of a 2203.

It's really about the tone. And the 900 MK III with diodes put comes close to an 800 2203.

19. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

thats one of the best responses i have read in awhile..i share the the same opinion

20. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

But i feel Marshall did it the wrong way with the 900s. IMO the best way to use an OD pedal is to crank the volume on the pedal so that it pushes the preamp tubes into distortion imo this is a better sound because the tube is breaking up. The way Marshall did it in the 900s is the wrong way the level is fixed and as you turn the second gain control "sensitivity" up your just adding distortion from the diodes. Your not pushing the tubes your pushing the diodes lol

I also think they did something to the clipping stage that robbed all the low end out it only fattens up when both preamp knobs are cranked