Jcm 800 2203kk And Cleans/pedals

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by thunderstruck507, Nov 11, 2018.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Been doing more experimenting with tones lately and had some questions. This post is all in regards to using the amp with Beast mode off which in theory should make the amp behave like a true 2203.

When trying to use pedals with the JCM 800 it seems to be a struggle. Reverb and delays ran into the front when the gain is up is quite overpowering, I have to run them about as low as they will go. I don't recall this being the case with my previous DSL401 or TSL100 but it's been a minute since I had either and even longer since I tried putting effects out front instead of the loops those amps had. I'm assuming this behavior is normal?

Also, experimenting with clean tones I've found that if I roll off the amp gain to clean the amp begins to lose much of it's thickness and richness of tone. It seems to work much better to roll off guitar volume and leave the amp gain up.

About the only way I can get a decent sound from fuzz pedals for instance is to leave the amp gain up and roll guitar volume until it's nearly off.

I've always heard JCM 800s took pedals very well, so I'm just curious if maybe the KK is different due to the relationship between the preamp section and the KT88 power tubes, i.e. maybe with the gain down the amp isn't able to drive into power tube saturation like it could with EL34 or 6550 tubes?

2. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member