Issue with EMG 57/66

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

So I installed a fresh set of emg 57/66 on my Les Paul.
    I used the toggle switch that the guitar had since the early 70s and it's kinda in bad shape but it still works.
    The issue that I encountered though is that the 57 (bridge) has less output than the 66. The 66 is way more fuller and beefier.
    I lowered the 66 and heighten the 57 but still its kinda the same.
    Has anyone with these pickups encountered this?

2. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

I've had those pickups in a few guitars. I actually found the 57 to be too round sounding for my tastes, so if it's sounding weaker than the 66, there's something wonky happening with the wiring.

3. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Something tells me is the old toggle switch. But is this possible just from the toggle switch to have less output?

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Is it somewhat (like a volume pot stuck partway) or RADICALLY?

If it's a huge jump like switching channels on an amp or engaging a boost/distortion, then the weaker EMG isn't getting power. At all.

With quick connects and a non-trem guitar, just loosen strings, lift bridge, and swap the pickups in each other's place.

See if the problem follows the pickup (busted pup) or the position (wiring issue)

5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Had set of emgs and never had the power it should have. Check the battery for nine volts. Not Much you can do

6. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I checked the EMG site and they strongly recommend a lithium or alkaline battery, I put an off shoot whatever battery lol. I’ll change it after work and try some pickup adjustments and I will keep you informed.
    I have to say though these pickups have one of the best clean tones I ever heard

7. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

its like when i switch to the bridge it looses some output. like its less beefy. the 66 is like a single coil on steroids, aggressive and very clean while i turn to the 57 its kinda muffled.