Isolation of individual tracks

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CraigP, May 26, 2019.

1. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Need some input on software/hardware for isolating tracks from cd or wav files, etc. I would like the ability to remove individual instruments or vocals, slow the playback while keeping the same pitch and able to use a looper to repeat one or two bars indefinitely.
    I don't have a preference on having to use a PC or MAC to do this and don't really think a full featured DAW would be necessary for what I am wanting to accomplish here.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

If the tracks are separate in a wav file, then yes you can isolate them.
    But if the tracks are mixed down in stereo it's going to be more difficult to isolate them.

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I did find a few YT vids using Audacity to remove vocals from mp3 tracks, but the end results are not super pleasing, and in mono.
    It works by inverting the waveform of one channel of the stereo mp3. The 2 channels are then summed in mono. Vocals are usually centre mono in a stereo mix and are cancelled out by this process, leaving the rest of the music, but in mono.
    Here is a tutorial vid:
    Audacity can also slow down tracks without pitch change, loop, and is FREE!
    Have a dig around YouTube for tutorials. It might be good enough for your needs.

Audacity download: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

CraigP likes this.
  4. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies. Yes, I will examine Audacity a little closer. I dont recall seeing a looper built in but it would probably be perfect. Im really just wanting to "uncover" guitar parts that are way back in the mix and to slow down solos and loop them so my tired ears can puck up the riffs in smaller pieces.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. Slow down the guitar parts to learn the guitar solos.
    I used to turn the record player to 16 RPM to learn the guitar parts.

CraigP likes this.
  6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

There really isn't any software that can do that. Well, you could spend a boat load of cash on Celemony's Melodyne Studio and then end up with some rather so so results.
    I think most DAWs now will allow you to slow a track down and keep the original tuning. I use Presonus Studio One and it does this.
    You would be best to do that then use a HP/LP filter to zoom in on those guitar frequencies then maybe some additional EQ to bring out the guitar parts.

CraigP and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Audacity looks like a basic DAW to me, so you can do all sorts of edits. You can highlight the section of the track you want to learn and set it to repeat.

CraigP and Mitchell Pearrow like this.