Is Tone In Your Hands Or Equipments?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by arayadis, Apr 28, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-2_17-27-2.jpeg

2. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

heres to flowers??

3. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

If it was in the hands we would all be hanging out on the Crate forum

4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

but you can't lead a whore to culture. = horticulture !!!:slap:
    BP

5. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help. lol
    Probably not.

SmokeyDopey and ricksconnected like this.
  6. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

I find that about as useful as some talentless, know-nothing, shit-talking, trolling hack telling a novice kid who's passionate about getting their guitar heroes tones, and talking about the gear they selected and how it was utilized to get those results-- that it's in the hands. TOTALLY Fucking useless comment.

When people would come into my shop and I was playing my Big rig, they'd often ask, how do I get that tone, and I'd hand them my guitar, and there it was... so sorry, I've never met anyone who gets a Dytronics CS5, or Eventide H8000FW, Lexicon PCM81, or TC 1210, or TC 2290 tones from their fucking fingers, unless you count their fingers dialing in the settings on that gear. Just saying...

It's a stupid phrase which is entirely inadequate, when discussing tone. It works fine when discussing one's playing prowess. The morons who use it, tend to use it inappropriately more often than not. I blame them being morons for endorsing and utilizing-- the phrase, inappropriately.
    ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe...maybe not, maybe, maybe not...............but if one is bored of such topic maybe one should not read it and move on :idea:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. MarshallDog

English class in 9th grade...1:58 minutes work of time I will never get back...ugh:facepalm:!

Lo-Tek likes this.
  9. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

This thread is getting tired.

Can someone please start another tone - where does it come from thread?

10. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

any pics of said girl doom?

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I like that tone!

13. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    I allus tells folks that guitar tone is in the socks you wear, and the attitude they engender...
    [​IMG]

14. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

lol, I'm just goofing around though evidently some may need a refresher course.

Don't worry, another will be along soon enough....and we'll get to reread all the same tired comments again. "Pull my finger for brown tone"
    The last was January-
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/is-tone-in-the-hands-poll.105621/
    So expect another around August!
    (ps- "tone is in the hands" still ahead in the most recent polling)

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  15. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I agree 100% about that. Personally it's not even a phrase I would use except maybe on some rare occasion. Otoh- I think I understand what is meant by the expression and it does not pain me to hear it. ymmv

16. MarshallDog

Tone is in your underwear :ugh:

17. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

I figure the answers are only important, if you ask the right questions. Not having tone questions, or issues myself-- the tone concerns of others doesn't directly affect me or my tone one way or the other-- unless I had to be subjected to listening to their troubled tone-- I suppose, but it doesn't pain me.

I try to be helpful to those who share a passion for all things guitar, so tend not to use that unhelpful, and in my opinion-- a totally useless phrase using the common understanding that you're talking about, which seems to be no more than the mere equivalent of saying 'he sounds good because he sounds good', as if that's some sort of revelation into the obvious, which was previously hidden from their minds. I dunno, but find it stupid.

I figure, 'Good' tone is only important if you can play something interesting enough for a listener to choose to listen or if there's no one but you listening to you play, which is the case-- for most beginners.

I don't know why anyone would say it's in the hands, unless they were going out of their way to be unhelpful, especially on a gear forum vs a lesson format or something. My $.02

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  18. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Ok, ok ok. Tone is in the hand.
    Every time I tweak my amplifier settings or processor parameters with my hand the tone always ends up better. :D

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  19. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

Skill and stylistic expression is in the hands, but tone is in the gear. My proof: Take your favorite band and compare any two of their albums. You will see that they sound quite different even though it's the same people playing. Second, if two different players play a power chord on the same amp with the same settings with the same guitar, the power chord will sound the same, minor differences aside. When people say, "Tone is in the hands," they forget that, by and large, a power chord can only sound like what the amp is putting out.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Taking it a step further, if you play something truly interesting tone ceases to matter (at least to a large extent). Take a guy like Albert Collins- known for that super bright, biting tone that most forum dwellers probably wouldn't rank as "great" or try to emulate but he made it work and is now a blues legend. Or maybe Randy Rhoads- it seems like his tone gets mixed reviews but his playing built a following regardless.
    Plus most listeners are casual music fans; they just want a good hook and an appealing front person. lol. Sad but true. They don't obsess about tone like we as players might.

I suppose the problem with an expression like "tone is in the hands" is that it's obviously open to interpretation. Somebody in another thread on the topic said they view it as being akin to saying "he plays with soul". I would tend to agree with that interpretation. Or as they say in showbiz "X factor". Or in baseball "he's a natural".
    Some people just seem to have an otherworldly ability to communicate through music and it has nothing to do with advanced skill, technique or great gear. These are the guys with "tone in the hands" or as Angus would say "blues in the heart and devils in the fingers". lol

But I doubt people are saying it just to be unhelpful. I hope that's not the case anyway.