Is there any 2x12 combo better than a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scott-uk, Aug 7, 2014.

1. scott-uk

scott-uk New Member

I have a Marshall Vintage Modern, 2266C. Love the sound, and as I get practised 'dialling in' different tones, am loving it more and more. I can get warm creamy tones with just an edge of break-up; I can get piercing trebly cleans, I can get delicious blues crunch. If I want I can get heavier distortion but I usually stick with the first three. I am happy. But one can't help wondering about other amps...

Superficially, the Marshall JVM205C and the Blackstar Series One 45 are "similar" to the VM 2266C - all are (about) 50 watts, 2x12 combos, similar price ranges. Different control options, different features, etc (in particular the Blackstar's built-in power attenuation is attractive, and the JVM's footswtichable 'presets' seem useful).

So I was just curious, for the sounds I use (as above), are all these amps 'about' the same, is one of the others (or any other 2x12 you want to suggest) significantly superior? Do any of the other features (beyond the basic tone/sound) swing people's decisions in favour of one amp over another?

I'm not trying to get justification that I've bought the right amp, and am not planning to change it - just an abstract question to help me understand a bit more about how all these similar-but-different amps compare to each other.

A related question: I find it much easier to get good tones from the amp with my Gibson LP (humbuckers) than with my Fender Tele (single coil). Any hints on how to vary the amp settings for use with single-coil guitars?

[EDIT] I suppose there's also the more expensive 1962 (Bluesbreaker) to add to the comparison list, and the equally expensive but lower-powered 1973X...

2. trmckn

trmckn Member

Can't speak to the Blackstar, but the 2266 has an entirely different feel and sound compared with the JVM. There is the obvious difference that the 2266 is a single channel amp, so for some, it may not work as well in a band setting. For others, it works great, depending on the material that they do (you can't stomp your way from sparkling clean to chugga chugga with the 2266, but you can perfectly go from cleanish crunch to souring lead using your guitar volume...) To me, the 2266 is like an old JTM style amp that's been modded so you have extra gain on-tap. The JVM sounds great also, but it just has more of a modern sound and feel to me.

In terms of using your tele with it, I find that HDR, no mid boost, detail higher than body, with the guitar volume rolled back to about 6 works great for most gain tones that you'd be looking for...but that's a matter of taste...but you might explore various HDR settings with your guitar volume rolled back a bit.

MonstersOfTheMidway and The Ozzk like this.
  3. buzz

buzz Active Member

there is only one 2x12 combo....the 4211....:naughty:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

This. JVM's are NOTHING like VM's. VM's have some of the best tones known to man. Period.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I've had a number of Marshall combo amps over the years, and the VM2266 is still my favorite. I'd go VM for 2x12's, and a 1974x for 1x12's (though, if you added the extension cabinet, it'd be a tough choice between the two for me).

The Ozzk likes this.
  6. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

JMP 2104 50-watt combo. Just sayin'

7. scott-uk

scott-uk New Member

Thanks for that, I tried it and that's perfect. I use LDR fully-cranked with my LP, hadn't experimented with HDR on mid-way settings, but as you say, it works great with the single-coil pickups.

Not familiar with it, is that a 1980's JCM800? I'd always heard/read they worked best for higher-gain stuff? - happy to be re-educated!

8. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    Never had the opportunity to play a VM but I would like to.

9. Shazbot

Shazbot Active Member

4104. No?

10. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I've played the 2266C, 2266H, and 2466H. All sound great, but to me, a big key to the sound is the G12C speakers found in the 2266C and in the 425 series cabinet that were designed for the 2266H and 2466H.

For my purposes, it would be hard performing with any Vintage Modern amp only because I need to do more things in performance than either combo or head can do for me. Still, there is something great about those big old KT66 tubes and G12C speakers that just sounds so right. Always sounded great with Les Pauls and Strats to me.

It's too bad they stopped making these, but definitely one of the best amp series from Marshall.

11. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

I say no,VM's RAWK!

12. All4Tone

All4Tone New Member

I have a 2266 head with a 1960AX cab and that is sweeeeet, but I'd give my left nut for a vm 212 combo!

13. Joe2000

Joe2000 Active Member

I had both a Vintage Modern Combo and a Vintage Modern 50 with matching cab. I will the that the 4x12 version sounded a lot better in my opinion. Combo was a bit hollow for me.