Is the JVMhjs THAT much better?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bloodrock, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

So I’ve decided my next Marshall will be a JVM. Never owned one but I liked the ones I played. I was just wondering if the satch version is worth another 8-900 $ that they go for used? I’ve heard varying opinions and I know there are plenty easy mods for the standard 410. The one thing I really liked about the standard jvm was the tightness and attack. I’ve heard the satch is looser but has better tones.

2. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

JVM is the flagship of the Marshall line...

4. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I've owned both the 410H and 410HJS and spent time with them side by side for comparison. I think it depends on what type of music you like to play. For higher gain stuff the stock JVM may be fine. I want more "classic rock" tones so I definitely prefer the JS version. In particular: the clean channel and crunch channel are more like a plexi and 220x respectively. I spend most of my time on the crunch channel, next the clean, last the overdrive channels (which have FAR more gain available than I need). The gates on the JS are more useful than reverb to me (there is noise on higher gain settings of the JVMs). The MIDI implementation of the JS is better too. The sound of the stock JVM seemed compressed to me, maybe to some that is "tight". It was not the old school Marshall tones I was looking for. I did not try any mods, and mean no disrespect to those that love the stock JVM. I quickly realized it wasn't what I was looking for and traded it in for the JS. Yes they are expensive. YMMV...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Best thing is to try both and see which sounds best to you. I know that might be a hard task given that the 410HJS has been discontinued for some time now, but it's still worth the effort imo.

When it first came out, the 410HJS sounded great on paper, but after playing through one it became clear to me that it wasn't right for me. First, I disliked the fact that OD2 is a copy of OD1. To me it seemed a waste to create a copy of a channel that already existed. I couldn't find any usefulness for OD2 that I couldn't already get from OD1 (the "mid shift" button didn't offer enough of a difference). I found myself wanted something different for OD2. Second, I disliked the noise gate design on the 410HJS. Noise gates are a great idea on a high gain amp, but I disliked the 410H noise gates mainly due to the release and dampening parameters (basically how the gate "closes), which are programmed into the design and are not adjustable by the player. My particular needs required noise gates that offered more adjustable parameters that I could easily find in rack systems and/or multi-effects systems, parameters that could be adjusted, saved, and recalled to better fit my needs. Third, the bottom end on the 410HJS was too loose for my tastes. Perhaps for other types of music, a loose low end is desirable but for me it was too farty/flubby especially at high volumes. Fourth, I highly greatly dislike the clean channel, especially the green mode. Clean channel green mode on the 410HJS sounds like it's missing certain frequencies, making it sound kinda thin and lacking punch.

OP says that in his market, the standard production 410HJS costs $800-900 dollars more, but without more details the disparity in price is odd. For almost it's entire production run, standard 410HJS brand new only cost about $100 more than a brand new standard 410H from most dealers who published their prices (towards the end of it's production run, 410HJS cost about $2599.99 whereas the standard 410H cost about $2499.99). True, I'm talking about brand new, but I see no reason why a well-maintained standard 410HJS would cost $800-900 more than a well-maintained standard 410H. The only exception might be limited edition blue tolex 410HJS, but even then I'm not sure $800-900 difference is fair given that the price difference doesn't reflect same difference when it was available brand new. I can only guess that a price difference of $800-900 would have to include some important details that aren't being communicated by OP (such as full NOS tubes, matching full stack, blessed by Jimi Hendrix sperm, etc.)

But like most things, it's up to the buyer to decide what he/she likes and how he/she wants to spend their time and money. So I say again, try both for yourself and see what you like and take your time searching for the best possible deal.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’d rather get the jvm and get my own noise gates. Your giving up some different amp channels the jvm JS doesn’t have. You can easily mod a jvm to be more vintage if you want.

7. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true! If I were buying now, I'm not sure whether I would buy a JS and mod parts of it back to standard JVM spec (mainly the tone stacks and voicing) - or buy a standard JVM and incorporate some of the mods that went into the JS model (which is effectively what I have done with mine!) - I think on balance I would do the latter, as I would rather have built-in reveb (as per the standard JVM) and use an external noise gate (ISP Decimator and G-Major gate) for noise-gating!

The JS sounds good in it's own right - but is too mid (not upper mid) focused for my tastes. It's like a standard JVM with the treble turned down, which some people obviously love - but for me I prefer the brightness of the standard JVM

8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

If tightness and attack are what you're after, stick with the standard JVM. The JS can be modded to get close to the same tightness and attack, but if that's what you're after, might as well save yourself some money.

9. ShredMojo

ShredMojo Member

I love my HJS, and was suprised that I liked it so much. I come from JMPs and 800's. The JVMs have always sounded too compressed and gritty to me. I don't mean that in a bad way either, I just prefer a more rounded and smooth high gain tone. I don't mind OD1 and OD2 being the same channel, it works for how I use it. I got my head from the dude in Black Veil Brides...not a fan of the band but I haven't touched his setup on OD2 much, it's such a smooth cutting lead tone. Now OD1 I've tried to achieve my high gain tone something similar to a Zakk Wylde-esque type. That loose-ness of the low end does make it alittle bit difficult, you can get there with the tone shift, but I much prefer just boosting it with my Keeley SD1. I can understand how having to use a pedal on a 4 channel amp with 20+ knobs might seem ridiculous, but I'm going to use my pedalboard regardless, so it doesn't bother me. I primarily use the Crunch channe anyways.

All that rambling aside, I think the HJS is more of a "All Marshalls in one" amp focusing on more classic/modded Marshalls and the regular 410 is a modern metal monster.

There are some really good YouTube demos of both amps out there.

10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

What happened to those dudes? Noticed the guitar player has been selling a lot of stuff lately. I’ve got to say they’re image didn’t match the music they play. Much more melodic and catchier than I thought they would be. Looked like they would be like Motley Crue on steroids.