Is the 1987 still popular?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 2203xman, May 9, 2020.

1. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Now that people are using the lower watt amps do you guys think there is still a place for the 1987 and it's bigger brother 1959? I think it is hard to replace these for that genuine thump,and full Marshall experience.I do use an atenuator,but wow,my 1987 has that Corvette power feel.

2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Nahhh. Too loud.

tce63 likes this.
  3. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

NMV amps are not as popular among the masses simply because of their need to be jacked up for "the tone". And if you can't do it, well they are not terribly good. Sure you can set them low and push them with pedals or use an attenuator, but that's a sub-optimal band-aid.

So no, definitely not as popular in the grand scheme of things. I'd wager hundreds of DSLs, or maybe thousands of DSLs are sold for every single 1987X. Same with MG, CODE, even Origin nowadays.

They are a relic of the past and unlike the days of yore, probably get more use in studios than stages I'd wager

All that said, who cares how popular they are? The 1987 for my tastes is the best Marshall ever. The 1968 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet I had as a teen wasn't very practical either, and they are not terribly popular either- that said, it's the best damn Mustang Ford ever produced,AFAIC ;)

nickfox, StratGuy67, 2203xman and 5 others like this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you looking for a NMV amp today, I think people are looking at the SV20:s series, 5/20w will be enough for most players today.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

guitronics, sgmarshall, jmp45 and 9 others like this.
  6. Giblespaul2001

Giblespaul2001 Active Member

Stellar amps! Tones that just can’t be beat! So powerful that most will NEVER be able to use the amp at it’s full potential. Lugged one around for years in the late 80’s and early 90’s playing the volume level on 1 with pedals. With everyone telling me to still turndown. There was just something special about rocking out at a show and looking behind you and seeing that thing smiling at you. I have now reverted to lower wattage and lower weight. Although I still pull it out sometime to reminisce. Gone but NOT forgotten.

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I sold my 100watt Marshalls (except a 45/100 I built) and gig the JTM45 or 20watters. Can't bear to part with the 50watters, head or combo as they sound so good. Definitive Marshall tone for me.

guitronics, Mojah63, 2203xman and 4 others like this.
  8. aberry9475

aberry9475 New Member

The 1987 is not popular per se but lives on if you will in many amps that use the general Marshall recipe in their topology. If you look past just the face value, you'll find a lot of boutique amps are really more or less 1987 circuits modified for more gain and usability. So there's that.

I still haven't fully embraced the small wattage camp. I like everything about them, but they just lack the low end response you get from big bottle power tubes and large transformers. I'll keep trying them out when I get the chance, maybe I just haven't heard the right one yet.

guitronics, proxy, Mojah63 and 3 others like this.
  9. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I hope not,cause I want one.

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

OK BOOMER !!! :rofl:
    BP

11. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Bought a 1987x in 2004, played it for years with a band in an a rehearsal studio but it drowned out the singers. Got to play at a few bigger venues/parties. Just love that amp. Not practical for clubs without an attenuator. Used it recently with a volume box in the loop, sounded great and really cut through but still too loud. Went back to my 2204’s and tweed Supers.

2203xman likes this.
  12. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

I just felt faint and broke out in a flop sweat.

13. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

Outstanding!!

guitronics likes this.
  14. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Popular at the moment or not, it is one of the best sounding and feeling amps ever made. Want to know what preamp gain sounds like? Crank up a 1987 to its sweet spot next to a modern amp. Like the difference between a man and a boy.

nickfox, guitronics, 79 2203 and 4 others like this.
  15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

only keeping 2 the JMP & DSL50, rest are out in the hall these days, both usable at any level if anything the Trainwreck 3 PPIMV allows more crunch as you back down a lil.. with X amount of time left on earth to play..i runs them the way they were intended for maximum enjoyment. have ISO Closet & also can stand in the area by my window & come out of the line of fire & play at volume. Just can not turn it down..the goods is where they is on the dial & it perfect to me. Was worth setting my room up to enjoy them & also protect my hearing
    Pain Plex FB (2).jpg

16. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

I love my 1987. It's my main practice amp. Not too loud at all. In fact, it clips too much when jamming with a not so loud band when I want clean sounds.

There's nothing like a plexi with 2 or 4 EL-34s.

17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Never owned a 1987/1959, but I think they sound great. Better to my ears than any other Marshall. But there is that practicality issue.

guitronics and 2203xman like this.
  18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Oddly, the JCM 2000 handbook says that the two channels are based on the 1959 (and it's in the name: Dual Super Lead). Neither sounds like a 1959/1987 to me at all.

guitronics and jeffb like this.
  19. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Marketing Bullshit.

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Nah, they're outdated and nobody wants them. Send yours to me for proper disposal.

The DSL100 sounds NOTHING like a Super Lead even at low gain settings. I had one for a while, in need of work. After I repaired it, I tried hard to find a way to make it sound good to me. I just couldn't do it so I packed it up in the road case and listed it for sale. Sold it in a few weeks, never looked back.