Is Marshall Owned by Gibson

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Forum2003, Dec 28, 2019.

1. scott917

scott917 New Member

Interesting - in the early 2000's Gibson sold amps that were made in England. - GA-30RVS big tan 2x12 combo amps. I currently own one. if anyone knows what factory or where these amps were made it might point towards something.

2. cspencer

cspencer Active Member

One way to get around export restrictions is to use a local address. There are firms that provide you with a local address to ship to and they courier your purchases to you in your country. I've bought a few things with free local shipping to my provider and they charge me for courier delivery to my address.

3. fleialex

fleialex New Member

Not very likely, VAT won’t go away and customs fees are minimal I.e. 3%

4. Mark Collier

Mark Collier New Member

I would be STUNNED if the landed cost was any better or even the same as what yo shoudl be able to fiund in the USA.

Exchange rate, Freight, Sales Tax, Import Duty and any other fee they can think of to throw on.

I'm from NZ, we by nature of location tend to buy from USA (also a much better range) for cost savings versus retail here BUT the extra costs and exchange rate have to be factored in. I dont know what you guys have to deal with but as I say, i woudl be amazed if a good MF or SW online price isn't better in the long run. Not to mention warranty support, most foreign sourced items will not be covered under your countries warranty. ESPECIALLY if the manufacturer has country agreements as Marshall obviousley have here.

5. Rf065

Rf065 New Member

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a UK supplied amp would be 240 volts anyway?

6. Ron Spurgeon

Ron Spurgeon New Member

One issue that you should consider is the voltage of the AMP. UK uses a different voltage power supply from the electric company. USA as you know is 120V/220V AC. IF you did purchase an Marshall AMP from ANdertons it would probably be a UK voltage, which would burn up when you plugged it in here. (Even the outlet plug is different). SO either you would have to change out the TRansformer and perhaps other components, OR Anderton's would have to order a USA voltage AMP from Marshall and ship it to you. I like you wanted to purchase the Mini Silver Jubilee from ANdertons and they told me they do no have access to Marshall's USA voltage Amps. Too bad, because USA purchases don't pay UK VAT, and even with shipping costs, and currency premiums, it is cheaper to buy directd from UK.
    I sympathize.

7. Ron Spurgeon

Ron Spurgeon New Member

One issue that you should consider is the voltage of the AMP. UK uses a different voltage power supply from the electric company. USA as you know is 120V/220V AC. IF you did purchase an Marshall AMP from ANdertons it would probably be a UK voltage, which would burn up when you plugged it in here. (Even the outlet plug is different). SO either you would have to change out the TRansformer and perhaps other components, OR Anderton's would have to order a USA voltage AMP from Marshall and ship it to you. I like you wanted to purchase the Mini Silver Jubilee from ANdertons and they told me they do no have access to Marshall's USA voltage Amps. Too bad, because USA purchases don't pay UK VAT, and even with shipping costs, and currency premiums, it is cheaper to buy directd from UK.
    I sympathize.

8. SaintFredrocks

SaintFredrocks New Member

It isn't import tariffs, but greed instead. Four years ago I could get a JVM 410H for over $1000 less shipped from Germany. A VH4 was over $2000 less, but now they can't ship them to the US. I guess the world market only applies to the BtoB trade. I think that is BS.

9. SaintFredrocks

SaintFredrocks New Member

All one needs to do is change the taps on the power transformer, or, if they didn't put the taps on the tranny, upgrade the transformer. Either way you save BIG money.

10. jazzdj

jazzdj New Member

Gibson can barely afford to own themselves at this point, let alone any other company. Soon their whole production line will be made in China by 12 year olds that also make those chit Epiphones.

11. George Jetson

George Jetson New Member

It’s not unusual to find better EU deals than the US, even after you add shipping, duties etc. to the total cost. Modern transformers are usually built for universal voltage and have a standard “computer” power cord connection to accommodate whatever outlet configuration works in your country. Some limited run amps, like Anderton’s JTM145 1w Marshall head break this rule. I really was jonesing for that amp but too many complications made me pass on it.

The manufacturer (and/or distributor) determines the boundaries for each retailer’s market. Years ago I found a great price from Thomann on some gear, but their web checkout determined that they weren’t allowed to ship it to the US due to manufacturer restrictions. Luckily, I was working for foreign company and just had it shipped to a coworker at the office. Even paying the VAT it was cheaper than buying it in the US. YMMV

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  12. howdo3313

howdo3313 Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  13. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I believe this to be true.
    Look up Thomman USA.

14. RockStone

RockStone New Member

That would have been Trace Elliot who manufactured those amps. They have been out of the picture concerning Gibson for the past 17 years.

15. motogeek1

motogeek1 New Member

I don't think you said which Marshall head you were trying to purchase? I've used a Marshall JMP-1 into a 9000 series power amp loaded with KT77s forever. Finally popped a few caps and the only reputable repair tech stated he wasn't doing repairs any longer. This lead to farming it out to an understudy who has had my rig for , well...A long time, as he only works in his shop one day a week. I since purchased a Marshall Studio Vintage 20 head. Best purchase ever!!! The thing sounds fantastic and blows away my 1980s gear. Sweetwater music has their own financing and monthly payments are low. They are a great company to work with. Guitar Center also has a line of credit with low monthly payments, not to mention, you can do like I did and unload some unwanted gear and use their email coupons to cut the cost of the $1300 amp in half. Also consider the Behringer PS-1 power soak. Can't be beat at around $100.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. jamesm

jamesm Active Member

I moved to the USA a couple of years ago from the UK hoping for cheap guitars and I'm afraid to say that they are almost exactly the same price, in fact is seems that the exchange rate for me has favoured buying in the UK more often than not.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

1. You missed the Gibson bashing thread. This ain't it.
    2. It was already cleared up that it was not Gibson, it was a typo.
    You're really desperate.

18. Doctor_Zoidberg

Doctor_Zoidberg Member

Similar tale when I wanted some Rickenbacker spares and all USA dealers, with one exception, refused to sell them to me because I live outside of the USA.
    I live in New Zealand and the agents and dealers here don't carry any spares whatsoever and if you want anything you normally have to pay upfront before they will even order it and I was quoted delivery in around 9 months and would have had to pay an inflated shipping cost on top of an already much inflated price so I got them from a US dealer who would deal with me (against Rickenbacker policy), who I won't mention as John Hall will remove their dealership if Rick find out they sold outside the country, and Rick has spies everywhere, believe me, as I found out many years ago selling a Tokai Rick Copy on FleaBay when I lived in the UK and got told by John Hall him self to remove it from sale or face legal action, via message on eBay and eBay closed the auction anyway as he'd threatened them as well.

It's a stupid state of affairs when, as an owner of 3 Rickenbacker guitars I am not allowed to buy spares for them from the USA, but any resident of the US with no interest whatsoever in guitars can walk into any Rickenbacker dealership, buy a bunch of spares and stick them on eBay at double the buying price and people outside the US have to pay this price if they can't source spares locally, and I'm not talking "R" tailpieces and Rick TRC's, I'm talking pickups and screws.

I was also quoted, by the Marshall Dealers in Wellington (capital city of NZ), $65 plus $60 shipping (over $80 US) with a lead time of 18 months(WTF!!!) for a Marshall 2M, double ganged pot from a Bluesbreaker Reissue that was damaged in transit when we moved to NZ.
    So I got my mate in the UK to buy one for me which cost less than 2 quid, as Marshall refused to deal with me direct 'cause I was in NZ, and he posted it to me for another 2 quid so got it all for <$5 US, quite a saving on 'buying local'... and a damn site quicker.

So I can feel the OP's annoyance and frustration with his experience.

I know my post is a bit late,
    and it's a bit of a rant... but it's been a slow day.

Cheers
    Doc_Z