Is it me or two amps sound weird ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Hi guys ,........was trying two amps at the same time an hour ago ,
    one is a 1996 2555SL and the other's a 1988 2205 ,..both plugged into a 4x12.

First ,....I tried them with my Radial ABY and switched the polarity to 180 degree and there's
    a latency in the sound that I don't get or like even though I tweaked the amps to sound almost the same bass-treble-mid-gain wise. Could it be the difference in speaker cables or different speakers in the cabs that creates the out of focus non calibrated kind of sound or it's an illusion because of sound diffusion not spread evenly ?

Also,......because of Bob Gjika's video below saying that our signal should never ever pass trough a Radial ABY junk Chinese circuitry because it kills the signal and we should instead use an ABY cable and lift the ground on one amp ,...I tried it also and still I find the sound awkward.

To make a long story short,...I think I prefer one amp with two cabs !

What are your thoughts ?

Here's the Bob Gjika vid,

tce63 likes this.
  2. herbvis

herbvis Active Member

I just recently ran my modded 2203 clone and my 50 watt orgin combo together using my boss super chorus a and b outputs. Worked well, no issues.

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I don’t have a radial switcher, but I did try running 2 amps with a ABY box , and got hum and other noises I didn’t like, but with my MXR10 band eq, no problem whatsoever, same thing with the Vox tone lab, and I am always running 2 amps in dual mono fashion, plus a third amp by using the FX send to instrument in.
    No problems .
    Cheers Mitch

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I use my vintage Guyatone Stereo Chorus. :shred:

5. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I can not remember if the 2205 and Jubilee have the same phasing? As in, they might be out of phase when you try running them together. You will usually not encounter this when playing two same amp models together. But . . . . If you run two DSL 100's together, one on Green channel other on Red channel, you will then be out of phase. That is because Green has 4 stages and Red has 5 stages. AC audio signal polarity is flipped/reversed 180 degrees every time it passes through a plate/anode follower stage. If it is a cathode follower stage, the polarity remains the same.

6. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Bang !!......This is exactly what I'm hearing !!.......Phasing !.........small percentage but it's there .

So if I would use two Jubilees,.......it would be more focused or in phase ....Thanks Ricky

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Should sound good with two Jubes. You can try inserting a pedal that flips the phase on one of the 2205 or Jube amps, then that will verify it. Some compressor pedals, maybe phase 90 or dirt pedals might reverse the phase.

I thought those fancy Radial ABY things had that option?

8. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Yes it does and I hear a difference when I flip it to 180 degree but I still hear something off ,
    what I hear is one amp being faster than the other on the trigger if that makes any sense or like two circles not aligned on top of each other .

I'll do more test tomorrow and see.

9. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

I tried one of those Radial ABY boxes, and I wouldn't recommend it.

It does sound like a phase issue. That 180 switch may get it closer to 100% in phase, but it sounds like it still may not be perfectly in phase.

10. DragonCrestPC

DragonCrestPC Member

Have you tried adjusting the drag on the aby? I use to use one and always had to max it out for it to sound right ( still sucked some low end )

11. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

At one time I had a slick little stereo rig with a Pro Junior and a Laney LC15, using a Radial Switchbone. I noticed a huge difference when I would switch them in and out of phase....In phase they sounded like one amp in the middle. Out of phase they sounded like two amps far apart. Sounded good both ways, just different. I would play rhythm in phase and leads out of phase.

Kelia and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

I'll try it but I think the Radial will end up in the drawer till mushroom grow on it !..haha!

13. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear you ,..even in phase it's still awkward .

14. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

What most do not know is that there is more that affects signal phase than the number of tubes. Capacitors and inductors as well as the quantity and arrangement also affect signal phase.

So a signal phase switching capable device may not always do the trick.

15. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks Mickey for your input !...........think it sounds better one amp two cabs vs 2205/2555 setup,
    I'm definitely hearing something wrong.

Mitchell Pearrow and mickeydg5 like this.
  16. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

@Kelia
    You are welcome.
    The built in reverb circuits of the 2205/2210 play a part due to reverb driver and pan transformers along with associated capacitors.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  17. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks !.........got it !......probably why I hear a latency between the two !

18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Well , I am here to tell you I am running 2 -2555X into 2 -2551AV cabs using the Radial ABY pedal and the sound is massive and huge . Bob Gilka is dead wrong about the Radial ABY pedal. I don't even have to use the phase feature on the Radial ABY pedal as both amps sound identical . I have footswitched between the amps to compare one to the other and there are identical . The Radial ABY pedal does a good job .

19. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

When I've run two or more amps together, I've never tried to make them sound similar. A dark amp and a bright amp, a clean amp and a dirty amp, different effects.

That's kind of the point of the A/B function, but it also works for the Y function. Two amps together that sound different gives depth and sounds you can't get from either by itself.

If I just wanted more fullness or more volume, I'd either use one head with more cabs, or two identical rigs. I can well imagine that using two similar but not identical amps set pretty much the same way could sound weird.
    --------------------
    I had a Radial Bigshot A/B/Y. Worked fine except for the isolation transformer. Never actually needed to use the iso, but when I experimented with it I discovered it was a major tone sucker. Putting any sort of buffered pedal in front of the Bigshot clears that up, though.

20. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you don't need to switch the phase ?......two amps should be out of phase ,..no ?