Is It Just Me, Or Is It Getting Tough To Sell Gear?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 67Mopar, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

I'm a stingy mofo and tend to buy everything of significant value on craigslist, pretty much... guitars, amps, trucks, takeoff wheels etc

Only super rarely do I pay advertised price (only if it's a great deal already) and never ever negotiate in person. Haven't had to leave empty handed after showing up in years, either.

Now for cheap disposable crap, I use Amazon or Walmart

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I do business the on CL pretty much the same. I do all negotiations through CL email, including time, day, place and then give cell #.

The reason through email, the buyers try to become your friend, find things in common, shared life experiences, this softens up the sell, then want a deal. Plus on the phone you can lose track of details of what your selling. On the phone, you have to think on the spot, the deal is moving, if that makes sense. Also if they get angry during negotiations they don't have your cell #.

CL email, its all there in words, no feelings involved, time to think, so if they make an offer, you have time to decide whether its good or not, your not on the spot. Plus this saves cell phone time.

I was a nervous nelly my first few items I sold on CL. Praise the Good Lord for watching over us!

With well over 50 CL transactions, I believe only 2 were offended that I would not talk over the phone, so no deal.
    I still sold the gear, but in a way I was comfortable doing so.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Email slows things down a lot... if it's priced to move, it could get away from you

4. stringtree

If your buying I see your point. Some sellers won't even do CL email, just text or call. Then you gotta do what it takes to make that purchase.

I have had way more dealings with CL selling than buying. No wrong way, just what one is comfortable doing.

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

I've found email buyers to have a far far lower % completion rate, so I stopped doing it on my ads

6. stringtree

I didn't consider location. I guess it depends on what state your in.

A lot factors into it. Asking price, if other people are selling the same item you are, distance to acquire it, not to mention if its something someone wants etc...

As a buyer, if they want it enough and the price is right, they will do what it takes to get it.

7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

For years in northern New England the way to sell stuff was done using Uncle Henry's buy swap sell mag that came out every week. All contact was done by phone and this worked great. We aren't as heavily populated here as in other places so i think that makes a huge difference. People aren't as afraid to meet strangers face to face as it seems to be in other areas. IMO the internet has made many unreasonably paranoid.

67Mopar and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

It was actually on original series. They gave me about $3k for it. I ended up with a Martin HD-28 and some cash.

9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Did you give them kickbacks or something?

How'd they even authorize a payout of like 2 months of their wages???

10. chiliphil1

They will pay anything if it's worth it. I have seen used instruments in there for $50k and up. My ESP retailed at $4,999 so, I lost a bit but I got a brother in law discount on it anyway. I have walked out of GC with checks for thousands of dollars several times.

11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Mmm yeah, that's not how that system works for outside walkins

12. chiliphil1

No, I meant when I bought it. Retail was $4,999 I paid $3,800. That was the discount I meant. So, I only lost about $600 or so on the deal.

13. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I missed a VOX AC15 tbx combo by 15 minutes, yesterday. :wallbash:

14. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Hey now I didn't ask to get born here....my parents fault. All my relatives moved to Colorado....:slash: . Yeah tried to sell some pedals on crotchlist and they wanted it for nothin...