Is It Just Me, Or Is It Getting Tough To Sell Gear?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 67Mopar, Jan 13, 2019.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Tired of living in the "Zoo"?

67Mopar likes this.
  2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I agree, but there is a social agenda connected to it as well.

Antmax, FutureProf88 and anitoli like this.
  3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Yes there is, it's about identities.............

67Mopar likes this.
  4. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

When that time comes I’ll give you $1000 for the R9. Honest!!

liontato likes this.
  5. NateSLC

NateSLC Active Member

Holy shit guys I do not think guitar or rock is dead because folks are not buying used gear. I think people just do not have any extra cash around to buy anything and its been that way for a while now. I just picked up a brand new 1960A cab for $300, not a scratch on it almost a virgin, and it had been on our local classifieds for almost a month even at that low a price. People are buying new stuff on credit, they just do not have the cash on hand to buy used gear like they used to. That is my guess anyway, but I think it is a more valid opinion than rock or guitar is dead. In my local classifieds there are all kinds of treasures because the sellers are broke, and buyers are cash strapped and mostly wanting to trade. I actually prefer trades and love doing it anytime I can. It certainly doesn't mean rock is dead or nobody wants to play guitar anymore. There are rock bands playing every single weekend just like in your towns at all ages venues, bars, and concerts. Rock has never been pop music and pop music has always existed, nothing has changed, it is not taking over the world. How many times was Michael Jackson on TV rather than Judas Priest in the 1980's? A lot more would be an understatement, it's the nature of pop music and media. It has been since the early 1970's that rock music filled the top of the charts in great numbers.

On a side note I am kind of curious as to why lots of people keep saying that Greta Van Fleet is bringing back rock, that is ridiculous. I am not talking about just this thread, every single one of their youtube videos that I watched is full of older gentlemen saying thank God for these guys lol. Four goofy kids are bringing rock music back, back from where? They are not some Cinderella story like Rush being played in Cleveland for the first time. Their parents are connected, the label they are on is full of flash in the pan pop artists that are disposable and are only being used to make very quick big bucks. Everybody on that side label is junk pop artists except for a few fad rock bands. My first band when I was in high school kicked their asses as I am sure a great many of yours did as well. We were playing Zep, Rush, and Priest and other great material at 17 years old, Van Fleet couldn't play any of that stuff if they wanted to. Did you watch their rig rundown on Premier Guitar? They do not even know what the hell gear they are playing and obviously did not pick any of that stuff on their own, they knew nothing about any of it by their own admission. Screechy and awkward bitch vocals, boring arrangements, and coordinated dance moves from the Song Remains the Same concert video is all I am witnessing. They are kids and to me they sound like kids, even more so live. All I can say is I hope they enjoy it while it lasts and stick some money away because that band will be lucky to live a few full length albums. Just like the other folks on their label when they outlive their usefulness they will be out quick and wondering what the hell just happened as some new fad band takes their place.

Hopefully as people get back to working decent paying jobs they will take the time to look at used before new and the classifies will come back to life. Until then I think folks might be getting a little panicked over nothing. Rock is alive and well, it is just not in the mainstream media, but then again it never truly was, not at the level that pop music is anyway and even more so now. If you watch mainstream media news you would think that the entire country wants same sex bathrooms, that all of our kids can choose their gender, and that everybody loves illegal immigration. Just because that is all you see does not make it so, it just means that the pop media sucks as well. Same with music. Sorry to type a book but this has been gnawing at me a lot lately and I had to get it out.

6. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Let’s lool at another part of this: what people want for gear. It used to be fun to go to Reverb and bookmark neat gear, or to go to vintage shops and browse old gear. And yeah you paid a bit of a premium but not something insane. Now go on Reverb and look at old Marshalls. Guys are asking $3k for 73 and 74 PCB superleads. That’s insane. And I’m sorry if guys who have those ads are in here but it is insane. $3000 for mid-70’s LP’s. I know people ask that because someone who is eager to part with their money will pay that but the inflated prices on the used market make it hardly worth looking - especially when very good current production equipment can be had for much cheaper. That’s where the market is going. The fastest gear I’ve had snapped up when I’ve tried to sell was “less desirable.” Boss overdrives, a Blackstar HT1, a Mexican Telecaster. It’s good equipment that’s not bank-breaking.

I’m starting to sound like “old man yells at cloud.” A lot of the guys complaining about the demise of the used gear market helped kill it.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Relax y'all, its the wrong time of year to sell gear, people are still paying off their Christmas bills. Pull your listing and relist them in March and you'll get a better result. :yesway:

November through February is the wrong time to sell gear.

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have noticed this as well. And I think you're right..I think the holidays cause it. People are squirreling money away before xmas and paying for over spending after.

Mitchell Pearrow, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

1. Guitar is dead.
    2. Rock is dead.
    3. There is no Internet.

10. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Yeah people like to trade here to but the trade offers are just as ridiculous

I posted my 2466 for trade last month and i put "looking for something a little less power" i was meaning 50 watts..

I got an offer for an Alchemist "its 40 watts you will love it" Then i got an offer for a Laney GH100L with 4X12, i just got one of those last summer for $200. but it was 50 watts like im wanting.

Im all for trading but im not looking to lose my ass on a trade woth 1/2 or 1/3 of the value of what my item is worth. I have NEVER been offered a fair even trade by anyone in my area on anything.

Then when i say no they start begging "please come on you will really like this Rogue it plays and sounds so good" Well they why dont you want it?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just proves how America’s musical tastes has gone straight to tasteless talentless shit!

Mitchell Pearrow, Antmax and tce63 like this.
  12. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The cost of living keeps going up but your paycheck stays about the same.
    And so it goes, there is less to spend on gear as time goes on.

13. Robus

Robus Active Member

The used gear market is saturated. It is only going to get worse as the boomers liquidate their gear collections and retire from the planet. On the brighter side, great time to buy.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

It's a buyer's market.

I went through a boutique Amp phase, buying at 1/3 retail.

Adieu and BftGibson like this.
  15. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Hey man I live in Ohio and I tell you I only know one kid who plays guitar and he has such an inflated ego even though he sucks ass at guitar (sounds like a swarm of bees).

Anyways asides from that, being 16 it is the small, very small minority that play guitar nowadays since they rather listen to trashy rap music or go play fortnite. Literally and when they are given a chance they say "It is too hard for me/ too much hard work, Imma go and waste 4-5 hours on video games."

That is who you are dealing with today man. Which kind of sucks since I am sure a lot of you guys had people around you to jam and hang out with, but with me in modern times that is fuckin nonexistent.

16. 67Mopar

Succinct, and to the point! You always know truth when you hear it.

17. 67Mopar

I like the fact that you're taking a positi
    I like the fact that you've taken a positive angle on rock music, but your attitude in regards to GVF requires a more direct response. Of course they know what gear they're using. Playing ignorant to gear is old-school cool "I just play the thing" posturing, nothing more. I'm not going to run out and buy a GVF recording, but I appreciate their efforts. They are incredibly talented, no question about it. Robert Plant likes what they do, so there you go. I'm fairly confident that Robert Plant and/or Jimmy Page will one day take the stage with GVF. Why? Because, Greta Van Fleet is an authentic Led Zeppelin tribute band. Covering someone else's music is not a tribute.

I once knew a guitarist who played in a cover band, who was a huge LZ fan. He would always talk smack about the band Kingdom Come, and how they were ripping-off Led Zeppelin. I use to laugh, as this was coming from a guy who was taking money to play someone else's music. I finally called him out on his hypocritical idiocy, and he never mentioned it again. He was one of these guys who would strut around bars in rockstar clothing, whipping his hair around, smiling at the girls, talking about himself, etc. A one-man clown show! He was a great player, but he couldn't write a song to save his life. GVF may not register on your list of greats, but they are creating Led Zeppelin inspired original music. That being said, I do think GVF's lead vocalist should drop the Robert Plant hand gesturing.

I'm with you on what is being displayed via (agenda driven) media. i.e. Indoctrination.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    NateSLC and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Seek and you shall find young Justin. Check out: band mix dot com and search your area. Check the bulletin boards at your local music shops. Check your local craigslist and you shall find. :yesway:

19. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

It probably doesn't help that the quality of cheap guitars has improved drastically in recent years. You can get an instrument good enough for most people for $500 - $1000. There often isn't much incentive to pay more for something you probably don't really need and can't guarantee is going to maintain it's value like you used to. Because like everyone is saying in the thread. Boomers who collected instruments by iconic brands are slowly selling off their gear to fund retirement or things like medical expenses and the market is slowly getting saturated. There are often more Gibson Les Pauls than Squiers in my local craigslist, and that's before you check to see which Fenders are actually Squiers backed by Fender.

NateSLC, Mitchell Pearrow and 67Mopar like this.
  20. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Well I am moving out west due to my dads job so I am hoping to have better luck

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.