iPad mic stand mounts

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Shane Stevenson, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I wasn’t sure as to where to post this. So what are you guys using to hold your tablets up on stage (for those who do).

2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

3. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

If I go see a band and they have tablets onstage I leave.

marshalltsl and Shane Stevenson like this.
  4. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I love my ipad for setlists and cheat sheets. I am taking an old slant monitor and putting an old computer monitor where the speaker would normally be. Cant tell from the crowd but “should” work great for the stage.

5. JTM1963

JTM1963 Member

6. Shane Stevenson

This actually made me laugh out loud. Actually I don’t disagree with you...it doesn’t look very professional to have a tablet on stage. I personally hate the idea. I used to tape song lists to the back of my guitar or tape a song list to the floor of the stage, next to my pedal board. My problem with that is low lighting in some venues make it hard to read the list. I know I should rely on my memory but that’s hard for me to do with a 2-3 hour set, maybe it’s my age. I am 45 lol.

I only use my tablet for remembering order of songs, so my head doesn’t stay buried into my tablet. Also, I always find a way to hide it on stage so when somebody in the audience who is critical, like @saxon68, is present they shouldn’t be able to see it.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

So when I last saw AC/DC a few years ago with the real line up, there were big monitors on the floor with the lyrics in green...you would leave, a band like this uses them...:facepalm:

8. MarshallDog

To the OP, I have a nice solid one that works great. I got it on Amazon...Ill post back later when I can give you the info on it!

Shane Stevenson likes this.
  9. Shane Stevenson

10. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

11. MarshallDog

12. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Let me clarify a bit, if I see someone blatantly reading lyrics off it, or guys reading chord changes in a rock cover band I think it’s lame.
    I’m 51 and I can still memorize my parts for 3 sets plus an extra couple sets worth of songs

Shane Stevenson likes this.
  13. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

Agree with this. The iPad is only slightly better than having a music stand on stage. At least the iPad is a little less obvious.

14. Shane Stevenson

Yep, I agree with this too. I use mine to place off to the side of the stage, hidden from public view, and to keep up with the order of songs. It has nothing to do with memorizing a part or a backup vocal. Beats taping a paper list to the back of my guitar.

15. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

It's funny... People complain about artists forgetting the lyrics, missing chords, screwing up a song in their set. Then they complain about having an aid (monitor display, tablet, etc.) on stage. I don't get it.
    I wouldn't judge based on what I think might be, rather on what actually is. If you're triggering tracks from an tablet, not ok, but if it's for refresher, I'm ok with that. Play the music the best you can, best set you can, iuse what you need, but, keep it live.
    Rant over.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  16. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:20 PM
  17. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

I play in an acoustic trio that gigs fairly regularly. Folk, blues, Americana, standards. Singer is a Bessie Smith style belter, beautiful voice and can knock down a wall when she’s going for it.

She plays open chords with a capo, I play other inversions or barre chords and lead. Due to environment, allergies, weather she often has to transpose keys at a gig to keep the song within her range.

I’m not clever enough to switch keys a half or whole step on the fly mentally for my parts, so having the tablet with charts or tabs gives me a basis to work from.

Plus, some of the standards have old-school jazz chord changes, one per beat or two. Just can’t remember them all so the tablet helps. (I grew up in the 70’s. ‘Nuff said.)

I’ve used most of the major brands of tablet holders, those that attach to a mic stand and stand alone. Stand alone is usually better, while it’s one more piece of gear onstage it gives you flexibility for moving it for better viewing around stage lights, wedges, etc.