Input Jack Replacement

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by m3l, Oct 14, 2008.

1. m3l

m3l New Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a Marshall Valvestate VS30R. I've been having trouble with the input jack for awhile. I took the amp apart and found that one of the terminal pieces on the underside of the jack was missing and there was a slight burn on the PCB where it should have been. I was wondering if these types of stereo input jacks (1/4, I believe) are interchangeable. Some are offered at Radio Shack. But would I definitely need to get a marshall replacement ? And if so, where should I look to order it online ?

Thanks in advance.

2. m3l

m3l New Member

Any ideas ?

3. Pie

Pie New Member

Any jack will do. If it's a guitar imput, you want a mono input.
    EDIT: If there are any components attached to the jack, make sure you copy those over onto the new one.

4. m3l

m3l New Member

So, as I understand it, there's the jack and then there's the actual housing for it which must be soldered to the PCB. And you're saying that for both of those any 1/4 mono replacement will do ? This is assuming that the replacement part also has 4 terminals.

5. Mr Songwriter

Mr Songwriter New Member

I would do a Google shopping search for something like "1/4" mono jack socket pcb mount" and see if it returns anything that matches what you've got, if there's a brand name printed on the housing that might help. Make sure the pins match up with the holes on the PCB too.

6. m3l

m3l New Member

Does anyone know of any stores that would sell this component or a decent substitute ?

7. m3l

m3l New Member

I was told about another option. I can use a jumper wire to bridge the terminal and PCB gap for a temporary solution ? Is this just copper wire soldered to the end of the terminal ?