Influences

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Trumpet Rider, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

A question for my mf'ing friends: Who influenced your guitar playing? Who got you interested in playing, who sparked your need to play guitar?

My parents were into music. Dad loved Glenn Miller and the boogie woogie music of the 1940's and early 50's, what I would call "proto rock n roll." He had an album collection of Broadway shows, TV themes and the kind of Christmas music that set the standard for Christmas music for decades. Mom liked what I would call muzak. But some of that muzak was pretty cool. When I was a pre-schooler, Mom always had the radio on, tuned to the local AM station that played elevator versions of the current hits of the early 60's. In particular I remember an incredible orchestral version of "Love is Blue."

My older cousins were too cool to acknowledge my existence when we visited, but
    from their closed bedrooms I first heard the music of The Beatles. While my dad and my uncle, and my mom and my aunt were chatting in the kitchen, I was in the hallway listening for the first time to the subversive sounds of "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver."

My dad's little brother was one of the original members of the 7th Army Chorus. While stationed in Germany he sent my dad albums that the Chorus recorded. Folk music was popular then and one of the albums included a couple of beautiful songs by my uncle's folk ensemble.

In junior high I took a couple years of piano lessons. I liked the lessons and I even liked the nuns who taught me. I hated practicing but liked the recitals. Believe it or not, one of the nuns actually rapped my knuckles with a ruler a few times! But talk about a grounding in music theory.

I guess The Monkees were the first musical influence that I discovered on my own. Say what you may about the "manufactured" group. The music was and is some of the best ever made. The writing was top-notch, as were the performances by the studio musicians and by the Monkees themselves. And guitars ruled!

I could go on and name many other musicians and especially guitarists that have moved me to be a musician, but that would make this long post really long! Here is the short list of guitar players that I think I have tried to emulate, or whose style I have sort of 'copped. By "style" I guess I mean a folk-influenced hard rock approach that works both rhythm and melody at the same time, sort of the way a piano does.

John Lennon
    Cat Stevens
    Ian Anderson
    Pete Daltry

Who influenced you?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Barfly, JimiRules and Trelwheen like this.
  2. GrahamL

GrahamL Active Member

I would have to give my cousin Paul the first spot (RIP). After that my first concert was the Who and Ted Nugent (With my same cousin Paul, he was an influence to the music I listened to as well).

I wish I could have seen Led Zeppelin back in the day but outside of Zeppelin/Page I would have to give AC/DC, Sabbath, Hendrix and Deep Purple the first big influences.

:band:

JimiRules and Trumpet Rider like this.
  3. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

Jeff Beck first.
    In no particular order: Iommi, AC/DC, Priest, Neil Young, early Clapton(Cream) and probably a few others I can't think of right now. :)
    EDIT: DOD nudged my brain. David Gilmour!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    JimiRules and Trumpet Rider like this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

this guy...
    jp000.jpg

& Iommi, Blackmore, Gilmour, Schenker, Roth...

5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Wee Angus first up

6. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

Clem Fandango.....

Trumpet Rider likes this.
  7. Trumpet Rider

I didn't know Clem Fandango was a guitar player.

8. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

for me Ace caused the interest and Eddie lead the way.
    however, my best friend as a kid/teen John was a major influence.
    damn good guitar player. he really could have went somewhere
    with his playing too, but LIFE got in the way. if I had a 3rd of the skills he
    has...…….. but there again I didn't put in the practice time he did either.
    he still amazes me today when I get to her him play.
    hes the one that showed me the HUGE difference in playing and organized
    practicing.

Barfly, Trumpet Rider and JimiRules like this.
  9. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This guy. And to be even more specfic that exact concert.

But you could say that The Beatles planted the seed. Growing up in the 80's I liked music but it wasn't a big part of my life. Then I discovered The Beatles. Their catalog had just been released on CD and I got all of their albums. I spent most of my time listening to them in my room almost non stop. Then I started branching out to other bands. The Stones, The Doors, ZZ Top, and then some of the more contemporary bands of the late 80s. So The Beatles established my love for music, but they really didn't make me want to play it.

Then I heard Hey Joe on the radio. I was with my dad and asked him who it was and he told me it was Hendrix. I went out and bought Are You Experienced? Then I moved on to Axis and Electric Ladyland. I was hooked. I was watching TV one day and stumbled onto a Hendrix documentary and it showed his performance of Hey Joe at The Monterey Festival. I then went to my local music store and bought a VHS copy of the concert. I literally wore that out. I had never seen anyone that was so in control of what they were doing. He looked like he could do anything he wanted. From that point on I knew I wanted to play. I bought a strat and taught myself how to play.

10. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

Rik Emmett of Triumph was my first. "American Girls" from the Just A Game album was the song that made me think, I need to do this......

11. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

For me it was Page, EVH, slash, SRV. But then I got into metal. I thought Metallica was the shit and learned every song. Then a friend introduced me to Pantera. Dimebag’s playing was on such a higher level it blew me away. I had no idea how to even start learning his style. The bends, greasy riffs, whammy bar mastery just blew me away like no guitar player before or since. Probably one of the last true original guitar heroes.

Barfly, mcblink and ibmorjamn like this.
  12. CraigP

CraigP Active Member

Randy Rhoads, Alex Lifeson, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower

13. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

jimi was my first and lifelong , then mark knofler , niles rodgers and kossof , and tommy bolin who I like to copy a little bit and I like to jam with his songs and try to emulate his playing

tommy bolin had one bad gig with purple and unfortunately it was the live japan album and that has been many peoples listening of him which is sad - he had a coke problem as did glen hughes ,purple come taste the band version when touring had a guitar case full of coke they use to cart about - on the flight to japan tommy had slept on his arm for 8 hours and when they were do to play the concert he couldn't move his arm and the roadies open tuned his guitar and he played the chords barred one finger - if you listen to the album often the keyboard plays some parts without any guitar backing

but tommy Bolin's 2 solo albums , "teaser"and "private eyes" are honey to a guitarist ears , his command of the guitar and his ability to mix rock with funk and jazz just astounds me

14. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Joe Jonas

Barfly, Trumpet Rider and J Saw like this.
  15. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

My mom listened to country so I had to discover my own music .
    I think early grade school I listen to pop music on the radio like Three Dog Night , Steppenwolf , even T Rex but by 10 yrs. I was learning about rock and roll . Led Zeppelin , Rolling Stones , Hendrix , Deep Purple , Black Sabbath . Not until highschool did I ever think about guitar .
    That was to me when rock bands began to reach the masses . I went to every show I could get to at 16 and I was lucky to go .
    Rush , UFO , Judas Priest and Scorpions were my influences and still are . Uli Roth and Michael Schenker

Barfly and Trumpet Rider like this.
  16. Trumpet Rider

I would never have guessed it, JimiRules!:D

JimiRules likes this.
  17. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

Lol, I know. I keep my influences well hidden. :naughty:

Trelwheen and Trumpet Rider like this.
  18. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

For myself it would be easy to say Page, Iommi, Angus, Hendrix, ect because that's the type of music i really like, but the idea of playing guitar came way before i discovered the above. My interest first piqued by watching Roy Clark and Buck Owens on Hee Haw. Roy Clark made it look so easy and i liked watching him play. When i saw a vid of Jimi doing the Star Spangled Banner that's when i said i gotta get one of those things and actively set out to make it happen.

19. Trumpet Rider

I'm with you on Buck and Roy...well, Roy in particular, and not Hee Haw--I saw Roy at his best on some of the old variety shows long before Hee Haw. He and Glen Campbell were the first guitarists that I was really aware of but like you, the bug to play did not hit me until later.

anitoli likes this.
  20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Hee Haw today seems real corny but as a child i would watch it with my dad. The very first record i ever had was given to me by my uncle along with a stereo to play it on. I never noticed it then but now if you listen to this recording, damn this was a tight band. I don't think i can hear one single mistake on the whole thing.
    [​IMG]