In Japan, depression is described as "kokoro no kaze" — a cold of the soul.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by mtm105, Aug 7, 2019.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

http://ambafrance-do.org/alternative/21908.php

Feeling sad? Have you lost interest in things you used to enjoy? Perhaps you're suffering from a cold of the soul.

That's the concept that has taken Japan by storm in the last five years, thanks to a culturally savvy marketing campaign launched by pharmaceutical companies to turn mild depression into an acceptable malady that a simple prescription can cure.

Anyone familiar with Japan will recognize that "kokoro no kaze" (literally "cold of the soul") is a phrase guaranteed to resonate with the citizens of that country. Preventing and treating colds is practically a national pastime there.

Everywhere in Japan, you see people wearing gauzy surgical-style masks covering their nose and mouth. Although some may be wearing the masks to protect themselves from the latest bug, the majority of wearers are simply being courteous. In a nation lauded for its complex culture of politeness, the Japanese wear masks when they come down with a cold as a polite way of warning and protecting others.

In Japan, your dentist and dental assistants are likely to wear masks--not to protect themselves from your mouth breathing, but to provide a polite barrier so that you won't be inadvertently subjected to their germs or the lingering odor of their sushi lunch.

Catching a cold in Japan is an opportunity to practice concern for others. How brilliant, then, that pharmaceutical companies have developed this new phrase to describe the symptoms of mild depression. Now, Japanese businessmen, housewives and students are running to their doctors in droves to get prescriptions for antidepressants. In a culture steeped in politeness, it seems that the same folks likely to cover their noses and mouths to protect others from germs are recognizing their obligation to protect their loved ones from their melancholy.

After living in Japan for five years and having a Japanese sister-in-law and four beloved bicultural nieces and nephews, I have a great fondness for that country. That's why I am saddened by this new need to treat mild depression with drugs.

I'm all for turning to pharmaceuticals to help those who are severely depressed. I've lost two brothers to suicide, and even the worst drug on the market is better than that outcome.

Crown Princess Masako, a Harvard grad who surprised the world by agreeing to marry Crown Prince Hirohito and live behind the closed doors of the Emperor's Palace, prompted a national debate on depression when it was announced recently that she was undergoing treatment for the disease. Though it doesn't surprise us that the life of a princess and its accompanying expectations to bear heirs might be difficult to handle--we all watched the sad story of Princess Diana unfold--this is an unprecedented admission in Japan. The fact that the Imperial Family has publicly acknowledged Masako's struggles will have a profound impact on the ongoing discussion of depression in a nation known for its suicide rate.

Preventing suicide? Good. Taking drugs for mild depression? Not always so good.

Does life in "advanced" countries like Japan create stress, frustration and sadness? You bet. Should a culture be treated, en masse, by drugs? I have to question that.

The me-too mentality is all too prevalent in a nation that prides itself on this phrase: "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down." I hate to think of millions of Japanese taking drugs in order to deal with the expectations of their culture. I hate to think of ANYONE taking drugs for that reason. And yet, it's becoming a remarkably common practice around the world.

Our folk wisdom tells us, "Feed a cold, starve a fever." Traditional remedies may help a cold of the soul as well. We don't run to the clinic every time we develop an itchy throat. We drink tea, take vitamins, get plenty of rest--in other words, we take care of ourselves.

Shouldn't we try boosting our soul's immune system first before choosing a pharmaceutical solution?

Recognizing sadness or dissatisfaction is positive. Dealing with the pieces of your life that aren't fitting together is powerful and rewarding. Making decisions to improve your relationships or circumstances is empowering. Understanding our role as growing, changing humans and applying mindfulness to our greatest challenges strengthens and elevates us.

It feeds our soul.

Is it easy? No. Is it healthy? Yes. And letting our loved ones know of our struggle and our optimistic determination to work through it?

Priceless.

Face mask, anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

a bit off topic anatala, i found this, good eh? the 500bpm warmed my balls right up.

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  3. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Watch the movie title: The Sea Of Trees.

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  4. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Everything is bad. We are all bad. Who's bad?

Now everyone lets hit the strings to see if we can get up to 600bpm!

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

mickeydg5 likes this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Political commentary removed.

Josh, you are relatively new here, so please understand that we do not permit discussions of a political nature.

jstich likes this.
  8. mickeydg5

Attention all people of the Marshall Forum.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

Ransom likes this.
  9. mickeydg5

Who is Josh and did have something to say about MJ?

10. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

I was listening to some Loudness that was recorded in Japanese on their regular tv stations and the drug ads were identical.Dude or chick with a yellow lab in slow motion, just in Japanese .We have meds for pets FFS.

Ransom likes this.
  11. mickeydg5

Wait, drug ads, what post do I need to read? I missed that.

12. john hammond

i missed what josh said, after all that i missed the money shot.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  13. mickeydg5

Man, they do money shots in The Backstage?

14. mickeydg5

I knew this would get posted. :D

15. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, auto-correct is not my friend :facepalm:

And I really need my reading glasses sometimes when online at night.

16. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

dg5 you need to read the first post bitching about Japanese folks needing anti depressants for minor depression.

17. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I haven't wanted to whip anybody's ass since I was in high school, until I was subjected to that speed guitar dude, which has absolutely the worst audio quality I've ever heard, which makes it even more pointlessly irritating, and now I'm going to have to listen to David Gilmour and Eric Clapton for several days just to undo everything that irritating dude just did to my brain, and although David gilmour and Eric Clapton tend to bore me to death it's the only antidote that I can think of, and I'm already wondering what the antidote for THAT should be.

18. mickeydg5

Just remember there are all sorts of pepole out there and you are average, maybe above avarage, while the speed guitar guy might be below average for all that is great in his pigeon hole.

19. john hammond

Crossroad I thought the discussion was positive, bridges were being built across the canyons of misunderstandings and mistrust, we touched on adult women dressed as schoolgirls..somehow the discussion became imbibed with MJ and drugs, we were boldly going where no marshall amp dudes had gone before...did it truly have to end?

Boxtrot56 and Trelwheen like this.
  20. mickeydg5

I should have read it thoroughly.
    That is sad.
    I hate the pharmaceutical industry and most doctors.
    None of that crap is for me.
    People need o grow balls and man up, learn to deal with shit on their own.

Darwinism will rule.

Trelwheen likes this.