Im Cured - I’m Selling Off My Gear And Don’t Miss Anything

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Jun 20, 2018.

1. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I'm not purging, but I did go through a period where I got rid of all the gear I bought out of curiosity, but wasn't using. I'm pretty happy with the amps I have left: JCM 800 2204; JVM 210 head and combo; JCM 900 4202 and Mesa F30. I likely will keep the DSL15C I just bought, but that is the only amp I have that could be on the fence.

I've asked myself why I feel a need to buy new gear when I'm perfectly happy with the gear I have. This is the great unknown, but why fight it?

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  2. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

There is soo much stuff I want... you know what I do to kill my urges? I pick up a guitar, plug into my amp and wail away. After half an hour of playing suddenly I ask myself "What the hell man, that sounded great! Why exactly do you need a different amp/guitar again?"

We guitar players are a special kind of breed. Seriously. All the gear demos and reviews and videos don't help to lessen the cravings.

That said I am at a point where I finally feel like I have all the "pro" equipment I'll ever need. Sure, it's no Mesa/Friedman/AxeFX/Kemper/insertsuperexpensivebrandnamehere, but I own a JCM 800 which I always considered to be a very versatile amp despite the one channel, a DSL 100, an ENGL Savage 60, a Laney IRT Studio. I have a Les Paul, a Strat and two pointy Jacksons for my metal moments. I am covered and I have no excuse not to make music. Interface, DAW, computer, IR software? Check.

Just before posting this I was riffing away on my Jackson Rhoads with the Floyd, through my IRT Studio with a little bit of Reverb added and I was having a blast! Right now I am on the verge of selling the ENGL and the DSL and the only reason I'll hold on to my 2203 is because it's my dream amp and I waited 10 years to finally grab one.

If I was forced to unload equipment the only things left would be: my Strat, my Jackson Rhoads with the Floyd, my IRT Studio and my Interface. Byebye DSL, Savage, 2203 with matching cab, Les Paul, RR-5, Ibanez Bass and a shitload of pickups, speakers, pedals and electronics I have stored in my closet.

I think if you are really forced to downsize you realize what you really need the most. Everything else is luxury. As long as you can afford it and it doesn't cause you any troubles, enjoy it! Nothing wrong with that :)

3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. I CAN afford it. It DOESN'T cause any troubles (other than lack of space). Yay!!! I'm keeping ALL my stuff!!!

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

You sick fuk!:D

:rock:

Jethro Rocker and mantrasky like this.
  5. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

So much stuff over the years, just my home studio & software can buy a house... (I have it under control now?) as far as guitars & amps, I only keep what "really inspires" me. I've gone through everything imaginable, (my livelihood) \../

6. solarburnDSL50

:lol:

7. solarburnDSL50

the only sick in you Is your ability to play!

mantrasky likes this.
  8. mantrasky

Solar, here's some more sickness......

9. solarburnDSL50

For fux sakes daem!

10. solarburnDSL50

A little reckless DSL40C boosted.

Mitchell Pearrow and mantrasky like this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"....did pickup a Custom Shop Strat, a Friedman BE 100, Astoria and a Collector’s Choice LP R9 #26..."

Obviously not cured, but in deep denial.

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Hey Sheldon Cooper.......this was a bit of tongue n cheek. Fuck no, I’m not stopping. I just have a new approach.

Petri358 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  13. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I have a real old X-amp, a 1984? 100 watt head and the Carvin 100 watt 2 x12 combo, combo is super loud!

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yes, they have insane power, I'll bet your 212 is unreal. My 112" combo is still my favorite amp, it has active tone controls and the best 5 band EQ I'v ever heard. Groove Tubes came stock in it, and the speaker is the best I ever played. It's the "British Series" made by Eminence, which of course you can't buy anymore. I was lucky and scored an X100b head when they were bailing out, I swamped the tubes out to EL34 Groove Tubes which helped get it close to my combo. The reverb is not a 3-spring like the combo, it's not bad though. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine, there is no combo amp at any price I would trade for mine, and I'v tried them all. I did just buy a new Mesa TC100 for a good all around amp for something a little different and to run the new X-1 tube pre-amp Carvin just came out with. If it truly sounds like the X100 amps, I'll have a great back up should something happen. Keep rockin 'em!

15. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

Mine has Groove Tubes and 2 Celestians, gt75's, has a great clean sound and the same active eq and tone controls, has that fugly greyish carpet on it, I had the Carvin Belaire 50 watt 2x12 combo also, HATED that amp! Gave it to my brother, wanted to like it....even bot the 2x12 extension cabinet with Vintage 30's in it, all MUD, nothing like the Carvin XV-212 at all

16. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think I am cured after getting a Kemper last year. Though I don't have the level of collecting you guys have.

17. mantrasky

Little reckless amp & synth.........

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  18. frankyfal

frankyfal Well-Known Member

I would bet my life this dude can’t play guitar at all. Why buy that assortment if you had any talent? A simple Astoria or clone would be sufficient live with a Katana at home for rehearsal. Fu k ing idiot suckers here and on TGP LOL

19. RobLaQuinta

RobLaQuinta Active Member

Please, do not talk to my wife.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

It’s best to keep them in the dark on this. I see no upside to revealing too much.

For fuck sake you’re coming accross like a spoiled little brat who is petty and jealous. Let me guess, you own a DSL, some solid state amps and a boat load of pedals. I call it DSL DERANGEMENT SYNDROME. If you don’t or haven’t recently owned one I’d be shocked.

If you think guys here collecting mostly production amps and guitars are idiot suckers and losers your head will explode if you ever visited the Les Paul Forum. There guys are posting pictures and reviews of their $250,000 1959 burst while talking about the 3 others they’ve owned in the past. You’d melt into a little petty bowl of mush.

Mitchell Pearrow and RobLaQuinta like this.