Im About To Rip My Hair Out!!!!

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Silent bob, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

Hi guys. Ive burned through 6 Marshall s in the last 2 years. I have no clue why but they just keep breaking. And now im on Marshall number 7 and I present you with my new problem. So I bought a jcm 2000 2009mlb edition a few weeks ago and it works great....except for today. So i just bought new speakers for my cabs. (and yes they are the right ohms) but i was trying to break them in. I ran the amp at a very high volume trying to get the cones moving and then the amp just cut out and it blew the HT fuse. So idk what happened. I picked up some new fuses but they blew immediately upon turning standby on. Idk if they were the right ones though. The one that blew was a T1AL250v and the ones that i got were just 1A250v. Did i blow my transformer, is it just a tube, or is it something worse. Thanks

2. LyseFar

LyseFar Member

1. I assume you use a speaker cable and not an instrument cable?
    2. Is your impedance selector set correctly according to wattage? Ex. if you only have two power tubes in a 100 watter, the impedance selector should be at 8 ohm with a 16 ohm cabinet.
    3. There should be a sticker on the back og the amp stating what fuses you should use. Always use the correct ones.
    4. Have you measured your power source (wall outlet). Maybe your amps get wrong volts in the first place.

It can be output tubes, output trafo, net-trafo...

If you burn that amount of amps a year you should probably go through the fundamentals - your approach must be wrong in some sense - it is absolutely not normal to blow up Marshalls in that frequency..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

Im doing everything correctly and by the books but I always buy used because o can’t afford new

4. LyseFar

LyseFar Member

The T in front stands for Time Delayed fuse also "slow blow". And that is important ...
    But I don't think that is your only problem.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

pull your power tubes out, then turn it on. If it pops the fuse still, take it to a tech...

There's no way you could have killed 6 amp's in 2 years, unless you simply trashed them, 1st sign of trouble. If you do not know the underlying reason they "died" you most likely threw out a good amp (x's 5)

6. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am thinking the common denominator here in all your amp problems is power amp tubes.

What did you do with the previous amps you had? Did they all have pretty much the same problems?

If you bought every amp used condition, did you ever replace any tubes in the time you had them including this last DSL?

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  7. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

My guess exactly. The blown fuse is often due to a bad tube. It is common in used amps. I’ve had this exact thing happen to my Friedman BE just a couple of weeks ago. Bad power tube. I usually tube and bias used amps unless the seller has. Take it to a tech.

Your speakers might be the right ohm but it depends on how they are wired. It’s very easy to check. Get a multimeter and measure it from the speaker cable pluged in to your cab. Takes ten seconds. There are videos on YouTube if you need help.

Are you using an attenuator and running amps full blast? That definitely shortens tube life big time.

What model are your other dead Marshall’s.

8. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Yet another "Bad Marshall" post....

Am I the only one here who suspects foul play with all these recent and numerous "Another Bad Marshall" posts?

Is it possible that a rival of Marshall is creating fake accounts here, and then posting fake problems ?

No disrespect to Silent Bob, but this seems fictitious to me.

bullhead likes this.
  9. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Did all fail at home? Stable power supply?

neikeel likes this.
  10. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Another interesting conspiracy theory. I actually believe your last one about the two guys who disappeared on same day. I know for a fact they/he covered for the other when they/he raised shit storms.

But this one, what real competitor would do this? My guess on this one is it’s something explainable. Based on how he’s trying to break in those speakers and all the dead amps I’m thinking we will figure this out.

But it does kinda remind me of the guy who said his 100W tube Marshall’s were never loud enough. Remember that guy. He’d claim he maxed it out and had his head next to cab speakers and it was still quiet? I used to love those and how adamant he was that 100W Marshall half stacks lacked volume. Hmmmm....maybe you’re right :)

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  11. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

AND he could'nt figure out why when his amp was on 10 and he took his hands off his strat that he had a buzzing sound!

12. Krauthammer

Krauthammer Active Member

Will be interesting to see what his response is to what everyone suggested.

If it's a legit post, he's obviously got something wrong with the power supply in his home to ruin that many amps.

For his current situation, my money is on a bad Power Tube.

:coffee:

13. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

For me, by the time I had bought 5-7 used amps I'm thinking I could have just bought one new for the same money.
    But that's just me

bullhead likes this.
  14. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd bet on a bad speaker cable taking out tubes..different amps, different tubes..speaker cable is probably the only common. If this is legit of course...and I do remember the guy who couldn't get enough volume out of a 100w head..his name was bob as well..hmmm..

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  15. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Have you even TRIED new tubes?

1 amp goes bad, maybe a bad amp.
    7 amps go bad, maybe the amps aren't the problem...

16. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

Hi guys thanks for the responses. No im not a competitor of marshall lol i love marshall and its all that i use. The amps that ive had were 2 jcm 900 combos and the issue with that was one had a blown capacitor and the other one had a biasing problems. The other ones were all vietnam dsl’s i ordered 2 off the guitar center website and evertime id place an order id get a call that “the amp did not work so they could not send it without my okay” then I finally got one that worked and sometimes when id play it would drop volume completely and id have to turn it off and on again. I did replace tubes in that one and had it for a long time. Then i traded it for the 2018 dsl and that one poped and crackled and fizzed right out of the box so I returned it and got this jcm 2000. All were from guitar center and ive always just returned them.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  17. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

The main issue too is that there are no amp techs close to me at all. Just to go to one it would basically be a 2-3 hour drive so i its not really something i can just pack up an go do.

18. Krauthammer

Krauthammer Active Member

Go back through the posts.

LyseFar, Dogs of Doom and Gunner64 are on the money.

Get yourself the correct fuse, and a new set of Power Tubes.

Then google for videos on how to bias your amp.

If that doesn't fix your problem, you've got bigger issues and need a tech.

Good luck

19. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

Thank you ill pick up new tubes this weekend and let you guys know what happenes.

20. Silent bob

Silent bob New Member

No man im not trying to bag on marshall. There the only amp ive ever played in fact. I just need some help.

Krauthammer likes this.