I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (motorcycle, That Is)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Trumpet Rider, Nov 15, 2016.

1. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

I had a Katana 700 and a Harley for 5-6 years; did a little racing. Sold them both in 2003 and haven't even sat on a motorcycle since. Don't ask me why. One day I just woke up and said the ride was over. Guess biker wasn't in my DNA.

The Ozzk and Trumpet Rider like this.
  2. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Those 500 Yammies were beasts. I had a 441 BSA at the time(late 70's), and did some hill climbing with it at the spillway. There was a steep, 50 foot incline that was popular with guys who had the torque to pull it off. My bike had street tires, but I could still get up the hill. The Yamahaulers did it a lot faster.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    jmp45 likes this.
  3. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

That tt500 was a fun bike. I thought the compression release was a cool idea to help the kick start. I could get the front end up in the first 3 gears. It had some go for a 4 stroke.

Heavy Metal likes this.
  4. Trumpet Rider

My bike had the compression release. Never used it. Maybe that's why my right knee is shot now.;)

4-strokes rule torque, Dude.

Heavy Metal and ricksconnected like this.
  5. Trumpet Rider

First, I apologize for the lack of pictures. The riding was just too good and stopping for pictures was not on the agenda.

We joined our friends, Kirk and Tabitha at their house in the southwest part of Kansas City. We started our journey on the rather mundane straights of Kansas 7 south and then Kansas 68 east to the Missouri border. Once we crossed into Missouri the ride got a lot more interesting.

MO2 is a wonderful 2-lane road that any Kansas City denizen must ride. It is easy to find from anywhere in the metro, so just do it, OK?! It took us on a meandering journey east until it was gas-up time. As we entered the little town whose name I have forgotten, I noticed a sign at the curve advertising chicken something-or-other. While topping off I suggested that we ride back there and have some lunch. Turned out to be a pretty good little place run by three women of varying ages—maybe a mom, a daughter and a grand-daughter. The youngest was our perfect waitress, and our lunches were small town great, a tasty Philly-cheese and fries. Kirk and Tabitha shared the chicken strips basket, and the onion rings looked and smelled out of this world.

It was back on the long and winding road and on to US54 to Missouri’s capital, Jefferson City. Then it was an easy hour on MO94 to Hermann, the hub of Missouri wine country. Easy, but not without challenge. Most of the road was Kansas flat (but curvy), and then without warning the elevation rose and we did a fast roller coaster mountain pass crossing.

Total saddle time in the neighborhood of 6 hours, mileage around 250.

Now, I’m more of a beer guy. But when you have two young, beautiful women riding pillion who want to check out some wineries in the Ozarks, well…

We got settled into the B&B and then walked down to the town brewery, the Tin Mill. OK. Now we’re talking. About a dozen and a half home-brewed pleasures awaited us on tap. I went for the stout. The rest of the crew found their favorites and we all had a couple. After that we wandered around town and found a spot where a band was playing some Bad Company (badly) and I paid too much for a bottle of wine that we all shared. Later we walked over to the pizza place and enjoyed a very large medium pizza.

A night cap? Are you girls sure you don’t just want to go back to the hotel? OK. The place had the St. Louis Cardinals on the TV at the left and the Kansas City Royals on the TV at the right of the bar. The middle TV had “I Love Lucy” or something. We had one more and watched the Royals’ 9-game winning streak come to an end. Time to go to bed.

Sunday was wine-tour day. We had paid our monies for a day of sampling the food and wines of 8 wineries in the region. But first, breakfast. We were staying in a B&B after all. It was a good, hearty plate or two or three of tasty stuff that didn’t make you feel too stuffed. I like that, especially when I have a day of riding to do.

We planned to head out around 11:00. Time to kill. I snuck out under the pretense of getting gas. First I rode up an impossibly steep hill (this town is really hilly). Then I rode down an equally impossibly steep hill and found a Pillips 66 station. Gassed up. OK. Across the street, MO100 West looked intriguing.

For this moment it was just my bike and me for a quick (very) ride on one of the best sections of road I have ever encountered. I was literally laughing in my helmet as I hit the gas and went much too fast on the short straights and downshifted for the sharp, banked curves, keeping the revs and speed as high as conditions and skill would allow. Tall hills, long sweepers, quick switchbacks…this is what I came for! I found the Gasconade river and turned back toward Hermann, repeating the above.

As I entered town I met and waved at Kirk who was about to do the same thing.

Once back at the ranch I found the most enchanting nymph waiting for me at the door, wearing nothing but black thigh highs and a smile. I won’t say which ride was better.;)

11:00 and time to find some wineries or something, I guess. MO100 East was under construction. We found a not-on-the-map detour, some little county road that had just been blessed with brand new black-top. This was a pretty technical bit of highway, with several 15 mph turns and a handful of 100 meter straights where you could blast out of 3rd gear. We got more or less lost but eventually followed our noses (and Kirk’s GPS ) and made our way to the first winery on the list.

I won’t bore you with the details of every winery. Each offered some sort of barbequed meat and a splash of fruity wine. The small tastes offered no danger of getting drunk, so I sampled each.

Most of the places were fairly off the beaten path. One required a 5-mile ride along a sand/silt-covered road next to a creek that had obviously exceeded its banks the previous week. It was a bit other-worldly, and required strict attention.

The second-to-last place was up a gravel road, but well worth the slippery ride. Live music, great view of the Missouri River, fair wine, OK food and, well, I just had to get a cold one, you know?

Back in town we hit one more winery (I didn’t know what the hurry was as we blasted down the road and into town). We got there at 4:59, just before closing time and just in time for ribs. Having read the curriculum, Kirk knew that this place had ribs, and we got there just in time. Whew.

Even after all the snacking, we still had room for dinner at the Tin Mill. Then off to bed early.

Monday we had one more really good B&B breakfast and then hit the road back home. We took the more direct route and were back in Kansas City in a little over 4 hours. Funny thing—the weather forecast for the 3 days was totally rainless, so we all left our rain gear at home (risky, I know, but left room for other stuff). About 20 miles from home it started to rain. No problem. We arrived at home a bit soggy, but satisfied with a trip well done.

Missouri Wine Country—Highly recommended.

View from Bridge.JPG Winery.JPG

MarshallDog likes this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Oh Hi! I'm new here! VIP Member

Oh, the thread titles this poor forum endures.

[​IMG]

It's awesome:

I claim responsibility for them all.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    jimmyjames and MarshallDog like this.
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice pics BUT not what I expecting....hummm!!

8. Trumpet Rider

I've been meaning to change the title of this thread and finally got around to it. Come on, bikers. Put 'em up. Stories welcome as well as pics.

9. Trumpet Rider

This is from 3-4 weeks ago, a little town along a great riding road. We have been lucky so far this year that the weekends have been warm enough for riding.

TBird.JPG

Anybody else still riding?

stringtree likes this.
  10. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Rode superbikes all my life and suffered a severe high-side crash in 1999. I still enjoy them but don't have the edge anymore. I'm currently rebuilding my 1993 Kawi M1 racebike.

:cheers:

11. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

12. Trumpet Rider

Very cool! I'd love to see a few pictures of the build.

13. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

My oldest brother worked at a Harley store and is responsible for what is known as the Wide Glide setup that Harley sells today.

Circa 70's he fabricated wider triple trees and installed them on a Sporster frame to accomidate a wider front tire. Two Harley engineers flew in from Milwaukie and photographed his bike.........then came the Wide-Glide.

NTS! No royalties were ever paid by HD. :mad2:

FWIW! My brother owns eight Harley's now.......doesn't drive a cage at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  14. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I always wanted a Fat Boy, ever since I saw Terminator II

15. Trumpet Rider

Nice looking bike, Micky.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I have steered clear of street bikes, but did have a shit ton of fun in the dirt.
    This was my 2004 CR 250 R

Adieu, stringtree and Trumpet Rider like this.
  17. Trumpet Rider

You're getting some pretty good air there, Mitch! It looks like a lot of fun, but I know my old knees would not hold up for long doing that.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Mine don’t hold up for long anymore either, but it was a great way of getting out of yard work, and keeping fit!

Trumpet Rider likes this.
  19. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    My old BSA back in the mid eighties...
    Not ridden since then, after watching an aquaintance being pulled off his bolide between the flatbeds of two trucks (who didn't know he was there) and ripped apart just over Tower Bridge. He was a fellow despatch rider, and had I been a couple of seconds ahead of myself, it might well have been me. Miss the riding, but rarely tempted, and less so as the years pass...
    [​IMG]

20. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Only rode on the street for a couple years in Highschool. Traded Flat Track for Rock & Roll in 1980. Harley dealer just a few miles away. I stop by now and then. Middle age crazy, freedom, and fresh air pulling. Look down I-70 west of Kansas City. I could be on Santa Monica pier in just a couple days. Now I have to wait till spring though. Give me time to customize. Dear Santa

Trumpet Rider likes this.