If you love your guitars avoid Schaller Straplocks

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Aug 14, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Years ago when I started playing guitar I got some Schaller Security Straplocks for my Custom Strat. One day one of them failed me and almost sent my guitar hurling to the floor, thankfully I caught her in time.

I switched to Dunlop Security Straplocks after that.

I got a new ESP Eclipse a year ago that came with Schallers and didn't bother to switch em out. Today one of them came undone again and sent my guitar hurling to the floor. Again thankfully, when it comes to my guitars, I have good reflexes.

The hex screw part that is supposed to secure the bit that locks onto the pin to the strap undoes itself after a certain while and everything comes lose.

Bad design flaw Schaller. Shame on you.

Just a little headsup. I don't do any crazy stunts or guitar flips. I just know that the Schallers on my ESP are getting replaced by Dunlops asap.

Take care of your guitars.

Cheers.

Mitchell Pearrow and Boxtrot56 like this.
  2. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Never liked em either. I replaced the stock Gibson strap buttons with the larger stock Fender P bass ones. Have never had the strap come off yet. Sure it would work for a Strat..

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Apply a small amount of Loctite Blue 242 to the threads and under normal use it will never come apart, but if needed you can separate the parts in the future.

4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I too prefer Dunlop Strap Loks, but you gotta hit them with a dash of 3-in-1 about twice a year or so also.

5. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Never, ever had a problem in decades.
    If you know how to put them on properly, they work forever.

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I love Schallers and use them on all my guitars. Just keep the hex nut on the strap portion tight (crank it down with a wrench) and point it up so it is cupping the guitar connection. No way it can come out then and I have NOT had that hex nut loosen. I have never had an issue in 15 years of using them either.

7. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not a fan of the mechanism where you have to pull that pin to lock or unlock. I've been using the DiMarzio clip lock for several years now.

matttornado likes this.
  8. Petri358

Petri358 Well-Known Member

Used those since -86. Never had a problems with them though I have those "old" ones, not the "Lockwheel" model.

9. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised to hear that. A friend had a Schaller-style that failed, but I assumed it was because it was a cheap knock-off.

I've always used the Dunlops with zero failures, but lately I've been using the D'Addario/Planet Waves locks. When I got a nice acoustic guitar a while back I didn't want to put clunky locking strap buttons on it. I also use them on an semi-hollow bodied electric and a bass. So far they are working great.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-dual-lock-strap-lock

To me, the worst thing about locking strap buttons of any brand is the way they stick out, which seems like it could cause stress to the guitar body. Keeping the stock strap buttons in place eliminates the added stress of the long locking buttons.

10. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, I don't like how the Dunlops stick out. I wrap my instrument cable around the back screwof the guitar, and it just hangs there freely and moves around. If I step on the cable, it pulls on the jack. With the Cliplocks it's almost like not having a straplock, and it secures the cable around the screw.

11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Got my first and only set of Schaller back in the late 80's. They failed very quickly and I have used Dunlop ever since. Never had an issue with the Dunlop.

12. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Dunlop here too, never had any problems with them.

13. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I have used Schaller locks regularly over the past 25 years or so. Never had an issue. Also used Dunlop, which are nice as well.

Micky likes this.
  14. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I got a strap with my PRS last month off craigslist and it came with a D'Addario planet waves strap with strap locks and i really like those. It uses the stock strap button. The only thing i dont like is the strap i hate lylon straps but i like how it uses the stock buttons.

I wish they had them on leather straps

15. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Marshalldog and Anitoli have it - loctite on the threads and a wrench on the nut. I would never trust plated threads to stay tight. That said I'm now going to check mine.

Wenander, johnfv and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Those are nice and seem like a good idea until you realize that that plastic locking mechanism can rub off your finish.

17. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

I've got the Schaller locks on all my guitars and have never had an issue. Put them on the kids guitars/bass, and they have never had an issue either.

Cant speak for other locking systems, as Ive never had a need to look at them.

Dblgun likes this.
  18. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I've always used the Dunlap ones. 0 problems.

19. Colnago

Colnago New Member

I've been using them for 20 years, never had an issue. They do have a new model, which is compatible with the old ones, that has a different nut setup to alleviate any issues with it coming loose. Schaller is an awesome company and stands behind their products, I suggest you contact them and tell them that you've had problems and they will sort it out.

20. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I never like any of them. I just follow the "one hand on the guitar at all time" rule: it's cheap, easy on, easy off, requires zero maintenance, works with any kind of strap, works with any kind of guitar, and never failed me in 20+ years.