If Marshall Goes Out Of Business...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by SonVolt, May 5, 2017.

1. Photojazz

Photojazz Active Member

Land o'Marshall Law, at Guitarville and Drum City
    I lke that pic of something like "Eating more salads, and it's a big fat pile of bacon on 1 strip of green lettuce. lol.

I guess the days of rock band Marshall walls are gone. It was an era. You know, a lot of those walls were fake, right?

But in the end, there is a lot more competition now than in the old days and old bands. Maybe, they will wind up one line of a multi-brand company. I hope not. Some of these newer brands are just crap. Of course, some are good. Then some people say the electric guitar is dying. I just don't buy into that myself. Will Guitar Center survive? That's a totally different question. I could see their Vietnamese production stopped and only built in England really fine stuff survives. Who knows?

I don't see it like retail America, and the mall. Marshalls are sold and used all over the world, as are other amps. The British, unlike a lot of others, hold onto a lot of their "old ways" of doing things. That might play in Marshall's favor.

2. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Blackstar

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Marshall is not going out of business....and what amp will Mesa Boogie copy if they do?

Oh yeah, they will copy Bugera instead of Marshall probably.

But Marshall is not going out of businesss.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  4. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

To be fair Marshall and Mesa both imitated Fender.... and didn't Leo steal from RCA?
    Or perhaps you are implying Mesa should start building refrigerators?

5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

Imitated? Naw. Marshall (and perhaps Mesa) improved on an original design. You won't see any Fender amp being as responsible for the sound of rock as a Marshall. Fender amps may have helped create genres. But Marshall (and Mesa) created generations.

[​IMG]

The Ozzk likes this.
  6. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

What?
    They certainly did imitate.
    Fender is the quintessential amp for rock and ROLL.

[​IMG]

7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

Then why do Marshalls sound way better, huh? 'splain that!

[​IMG]

Lo-Tek likes this.
  8. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

The Fender Twins and Deluxe Reverbs are maybe the best selling and most recorded amps of all time.

9. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Dude did have killer tone that I can't seem to capture on any amp. The closest I've ever been was a jet city 20 watter, never tried a fender though. Once I get the kemper I'll get some fender profiles for sure. Ted actually uses peavey 6505's now but I wonder if he's going to change brands now that they're made in china.

The Ozzk likes this.
  10. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

Nah... He might just "stink'em up" a bit. ;)

11. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

To be honest there are lots of great sounding options but I thought we all agreed

Tone is in the hands. ;)

12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Last time I saw Ted, he was using Marshall, not sure what. Probably DSL. He had stacks.

Most recently, I saw him using a Kustom:

ted.png

Coronado likes this.
  13. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's interesting.

Funny story, as you may know ted is fairly gung ho on American made stuff which is why he was playing fender when Marshall ruled the world and why he was using peavey. I assume that he left them because of their Chinese production. Anyway, the story. I follow him on facebook and he's always endorsing something or another on there and one day he comes on and says (paraphrasing) "Toyota tundras are the toughest trucks made" the backlash was HILLARIOUS! Everyone and their brother got on him about it, I haven't seen any Toyota endorsements since.

14. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I just mention Ted as an example of great Fender tone. Obviously lots of other bands used them too.
    Personally I don't really care for Ted as a spokesman. Heard too much of his schtick while growing up as he was ubiquitous in Michigan then.
    I believe Toyota full-size trucks are actually built in the US though.

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

ironically though, since they've started making them in the US, quality has gone down... (they've been making various Toyoyas in the US since the '90s)

I used to drive a Toyota, as one of my delivery trucks. That thing had 350K miles & was still going strong. It had the 1 ton suspension kit. I would have a well over that on it all the time.

Coronado likes this.
  16. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I have a jtm6o combo +extension cab-v30's that sounds loverly and I have a mesa 5/50express combo +extension cab-black shadows that sounds good and I have a bugera v55 head and 2off 2x12 with the bugera 70 watt red series speakers and guess what, that also sounds good , so lay off the hate unless you want to tell me about a bugera you owned that did not sound good, and i'm all ears ..................................

17. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Gotta agree, Toyota makes one hell of a truck. Here is a Top Gear video you may have seen. They wanted to see how much abuse a Toyota truck could take. So, they dropped it into the ocean and let it sit there, they rammed it with a wrecking ball, they ran it into a wall, dropped a motorhome on it, then set it on fire (literally). It always started right up. So, they decided to completely destroy it, and put it on the top level of building that was scheduled for demolition (250 foot drop).

Here is the video (part 3 of a 3 series show - about 4 mins long). I could not believe the outcome...

slide222 likes this.
  18. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Haven't noticed a quality drop. I'm driving a Ford now, but my 2004 Tacoma hit 275k miles on it and was still going strong when I traded her in.

19. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Which of Mesa's historic flagship amps was copied from Marshall? Those high-gain Mesa Marks from the '70s with multiple gain stages predate the JCM 800 so I'm not seeing any similarities in design from their early history. There's certainly none in the later Recto lines from the 90s. If anything Marshall has been playing catch-up since the JCM 900, 2000 and beyond..

20. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Friedman Brown eye , I think it was used at Led Zeppelin Hall of fame show , right ?
    But for me , who cares ? Kemper or build your own.
    I have been playing my Mesa for a month , she's a bad ass but you know the poor mans metal amp is a peavey 6505+ !
    I must have posted this video almost as many times as the Big Bob Video. Now I know what your thinking , I don't want to see them go away but if they did I would bounce.You must watch both videos completely !:headbanger:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    SonVolt likes this.