If I already own a new DSL100H...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mbell75, Jan 23, 2016.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

...is buying a used JCM800 2203 being redundant? Its pretty much the same tube layout. Im obsessed with Angus Young's tone and I know this isn't a model he used but I believe its closer than the new DSL100 is. Any recommendations?

2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Well, if were talking about a comparison between the DSL100 and an original/vintage JCM800 model 2203 with at the very least its original output transformers and power transformers, then you might notice a real difference between a JCM800 2203 and the DSL100 due to different power transformers and output transformers used in each, which have an impact on the sound.

But if you're talking about getting the reissue JCM800 2203X that's currently available as brand new, then you have a point about redundancy to a certain extent. I'm not sure about the components used the current production 2203X and the DSL100, but perhaps some of those critical components might be closer in specs.

I think you could do very well getting at least ballpark Angus Young tone from a stock DSL100. Maybe add a little eq, careful selection of preamp and power amp tubes, and the right speakers would get you even closer (perhaps even switching out the transformers and add a choke, which is something that forum member AdrianR did that he says makes a huge difference, which I would believe though never heard his amp in person. But no, I wouldn't give up hope on that DSL100 just yet. Just because Angus Young doesn't play one doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

Good luck with your gear, and above all else, keep playing!

3. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Thanks for all the info! Im new to Marshall amps but Im almost positive this is the original model. Here are a few pics though. Any recommendations on which of the Plexi models are considered best?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The amp is only one element, don't forget technique, speaker choice, and a Gibson SG.

5. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

I have an SG with Dirty Fingers and a 1960A cab, technique however leaves a lot to be desired :lol:

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Not redundant at all, two totally different amps. I had both once and the 2204 stayed and the DSL50 is long gone.

You should be able to get Angus tone on your crunch green channel, it may take a pedal along with it to tweak to get it there though. Twist up your amp eq knobs too!

7. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

Completely agree here. To my ears its pretty close to 2203 territory. Just keep it a little cleaner than you think it needs to be.

8. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Man the mint nature of this amp cosmetically leads me to believe it is the 2203X. But then you've clearly illustrated the back panel with your photo in where the model is listed as a 2203. If the amp has an FX loop...that is not aftermarket, then it is the 2203X as the originals did not have an FX loop.

That is one SWEET looking Marshall. I've been gasing for one of those!

Incidentally, yes you can get AC/DC tones all day long with your amp...you just have to use it correctly. And also, as someone else has mentioned..using the right guitar and speakers. Speakers have a HUGE impact on your sound. Lastly, and this point is contested immensely in this forum, your playing style. Playing Angus and AC/DC in general, requires a certain swagger to your pick and fret hand style...no equipment in the world is going to compensate.

BTW...I forgot to mention...if you can afford that 2203...by all means GET IT! Although the DSL was designed to get that 2203 sound in one of it's four playing modes...IT IS NOT the same thing. It's a *decent* emulation...but unless you've played through the real thing...you'll never know. A healthy 2203 is a force to be reckoned with! The clear power and headroom is killer...

Oh, looking again more closely. The back panel in your picture is painted black. It is most likely a 2203X.

9. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

That 800 looks mint! If the ask is a good price, just buy it. Your DSL does things the 800 can't, but the 800 does that 800 thing that the DSL can't quite do. And even if you find you want to sell it, you might even turn a profit because that amp is so unmolested.

Ken

10. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Yup, just last night I had my DSL set to the green crunch channel, volume dimed and gain somewhere between 7-10, did a very good job. Can't get that sound without cranking it up! My ears are still ringing pretty good. That said, if I were you and could afford the 800 I would have to ask myself "why not", and I'd likely buy it anyway. Win/win.

11. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Yea, it has an effects loop, so it's a 2203x. It's at a pawn shop asking $1300, good deal? If it's going to sound just like my DSL, I'll pass.

[​IMG]

12. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Oh, a reissue. $1300 is full blown used retail but a fair price. The reissues aren't cheap on the used market! You can pass with a clear conscience.

Ken

13. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Damn that is a sweet amp...I would see if u could get em' down closer to a G. Those Xs are well built amps man...WAY better then any DSL... As was said earlier, the DSL will get close...but it will not be the same...Those straight 800s for just *that sound* and feel kick arse..period.

I remember a day when pawn shops were cheap...the net killed that.

14. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

The Guitar Center in Saginaw MI just got one in....$950 with Mullards (NOS, not reissues)....I believe it had an effects loop...it's definitely older by the rusty colored rivets on the corners, lock screws on the knobs and the faded paint labels...

And I was about to pull the trigger on a Jubilee 2555x....so I didn't play it or go over it super close..

After listening to more Youtube clips...
    man I don't know which way to go...but if your in the market....have it sent to your local store.

15. shane159

shane159 Member

I own a 2203x and a DSL100H. I actually prefer the DSL because of the reverb and with an EQ in the loop, I can get the DSL to sounds identical to the 800. The feel of the DSL is a bit tighter but on the Green Crunch channel with the Volume past 3-4 it sounds just like my 2203. I have a 77 JMP 2203 as well, that is my grail amp, but again, I can get the DSL 99% there. I got the DSL on a trade and was planning on flipping it, but as soon as I turned it on, my mind changed quickly. I feel much safer taking the DSL out to gigs also compared to taking my JMP out. I am not by any means saying that the DSL is better, but when I see comments saying that the 800 Kills the DSL, I have to disagree, or maybe I have one of those "special" DSL's, because it holds its own no problem.

16. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

the 2203 will take there

17. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the new dsl's is that people run the gain too high on them and don't turn them up enough...once you get that thing over 3, it really comes to life and all of the fizz is gone. The honeymoon period still hasn't faded with mine yet. I simple love the amp.

18. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Does it have to be cranked way up to get an Angus Young tone or can you dial it in at lower volumes? Want to try it out tomorrow but don't want to drag my 1960 down there ha.

19. shane159

shane159 Member

Without a doubt. You have to get the volume up, just as you do a 2203. I put a fresh set of KT77's in my DSL this evening and biased it up, now it is a monster. Like I posted earlier, my Canadian 1977 JMP 2203 is my pride and joy, but the DSL is much more versatile and can easily cover the tones that my JMP and 2203X does. In fact, the DSL with the KT77's sounds better than my 2203X. I'm even having a hard time accepting it:ugh:

20. Jay Low

Jay Low Active Member

Mbell75, what cabinet are you using? It might actually make more sense - and be cheaper, too - to swap the cabinet. The DSL into a 4x12 with Greenbacks will take you to the Agnus territory more likely than a 2203x into a cab with standard T75's.

Yeah, I know that Agnus has been MAINLY using H30's and V30's, BUT speaker distortion is a big part of his sound and Greenbacks are the drivers that will get you there with a more decent sound pressure than H/V30.

And yes, 2203 is a freaking loud amp! I have one but also have a couple of DSL's. IMO it's a whole lotta easier to get a decent crunch sound with DSL's under regular gig & rehearsal room circumstances. Using hi-gain input of the 800 means normally using an attenuator...

But hell yeah, this is rock'n'roll, it doesn't always have to make sense. If you want that 800, go for it. It might be a step towards agnusization, but not a huge one, IMO.