Ibanez Neck Profile Information

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by justinrhoads80, Feb 19, 2018.

1. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

I was recently looking on Ibanez's website and found a guitar that I liked, but I had remembered that one time when I was at GC I found that playing an Ibanez was unbearable due to the neck profile.

I don't remember the model it was nor the neck profile other than remembering I found it to be something that I personally didn't like.

I personally like C, Thin C, and Ultra Thin C neck profiles and not really stuff that is too thin that it feels like it has no meat on its bones.

Is there any Ibanez Neck Profile that kind of fits in the C profile for a guitar neck?

Btw the Guitar I am was looking at was this

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg...&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=352&color=CL01

[​IMG]

Any info would be appreciated on this, thanks guys

2. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

Not trying to be harsh but I've never played an Ibanez neck that I've liked.

flyinguitars likes this.
  3. justinrhoads80

So I guess it is not just me then? I didn't just play one Ibanez, I had played four and did not like any of the neck profiles! They are the only company that I have encountered where I find the Neck weird in my hands.

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  4. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

It’s weird (for me) to the point where it actually hurts my hand to play one. It fatigues my hand and I feel like I’m exerting way too much effort playing.

justinrhoads80 likes this.
  5. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The only necks I've ever played that were thinner than Ibanez, was a Charvel Desolation. The Charvel factory had to use mono-filament wire for the truss rod it was so thin.

6. justinrhoads80

Interesting. Do you know of any Ibanez necks though that are kind of like a C profile?

7. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

The one on my iceman is. It’s around a 60’s profile, not flat or thin at all. The RG 1570 I had was the thinnest neck I’ve ever played, flat too. I really loved that neck, but the current crop of them have different profiles, they’re a little thicker. Look into the AR and ARZ series, they’re more “traditional” and should have a rounder neck. The website does give neck specs on each model.

8. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

no, because I can't tell the difference between one guitar neck and the next, unless it's in my hands.

9. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I had a BC Rich Warlock Deluxe that played awesome, but the neck was way too thin for my hands. I sold it.
    I wasn't looking for another but found a Rich VJR with a neck profile so perfect I couldn't say no.
    I'm not a big fan of Ibanez guitars but that is a choice and not a complaint.

10. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Lol! Me too! I was endorsed by them in the 80s and had a few and never played them..lol

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  11. houseofrock

12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Any Ibanez that does not associate itself with shreddy stuff (RG and S) have thicker necks....

Satriani's JS is "based" on strat necks...

The Super Wizard are the thinnest....

13. justinrhoads80

14. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Satriani started playin Radius models ( 540R) and his model is patterned after one. I have a Saber with a 540R neck on it and its badass , i also hate shreddy/ thin necks so give a Joe a try.

15. justinrhoads80

I would, but I find his guitars ugly though... :(

16. houseofrock

17. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I played a version of that in GC, store specific model with lefty headstock. It was the lower end model and I really liked it. Very light, would be easy on the back for gigs. I think it was 499, if I could have gotten it from Zzounds I would have bought it.

18. chromeboy

chromeboy Active Member

Personally I love the ibanez necks. They are kinda like what is called a slim tappered D neck. Those necks as someone mentioned are mostly on the rg and s models. My arz iron label is a little rounder. The Paul Gilbert signature models are like tree trunks but that is because Paull gilbert is like 6' 5" tall and has huge hands. For me , I have smaller hands so the slim necks are easier to play and allows me to play faster. If rounder necks are your thing try an LP traditional or even an epi traditional which both have much rounder and thicker necks. Ibanez has made a name for itself on the shredder scene so they make guitars focussed on those type of players. I heard schecters have thicker necks or maybe even jackson. If none are to your liking then just get a strat and beef it up. I think the ymg signature strat has a rounder neck. I totally understand. A guitar has to feel right in your hands. I am sure you will find something you like.

19. justinrhoads80

Ye I played a schecter apocalypse at gc not wanting to buy it and my mind changed within a few moments. The guitar felt so nice it was freaky :ugh:

20. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of Ibanez necks when I was younger but the older I get and the hand stiffness thing coming more into play, I sure like them now because they feel so effortless, I can play way longer, the wrist fatigue thing that creeps in after a certain amount of time when playing my Fender or Suhr, etc, seldom happens with the Ibanez necks I've noticed.

Father Time is undefeated, at some point you start using tools that you believe will prolong everything! Some guys don't have hand stiffness, I mean I saw videos of Les Paul still playing comfortably at way later stages of life, lucky I guess. Not me. I'm also a smaller guy, so that also prolly has something to do with that - I was not exactly blessed with Vai sized sticks so a thinner neck feels like butter while allowing me to play pain free as I age. Maybe my next step will be moving to Tele's!