I Wanna Hear Stories About Your Speakers Blowing!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Wenander, Sep 14, 2019.

1. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

It’s my experience.
    I know it conflicts with conventional wisdom. I figured someone would bring up the Variac thing. I think Ed did pretty substantial damage to his Superlead with that device.

I’ve blow up my share. The best any amp sounds, is right before you smell the smoke. It does get expensive tho.:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Toasted a G12M T1221 (early 70s) in a 4x12 with a Superlead at 2-3 on volume but using a pedal to boost gain, nasty smell, bad sound - blown voice coil (probably a weak speaker anyway - the rest were fine).

Another issue I've had on a few G12Hs is the spider to frame glue cracking/parting company. You get a buzz when playing haevy riffs at certain frequencies.

It is important to recognise this, stop playing, pull the speaker and glue the spider down whilst the coil is still central (ie not parted company all around) otherwise you have to remove the central dust cover, shim the air gap and reglue - which is a drag.

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I once blew up a crap Pyle MH1229 speaker in a Fender Pro Reverb. I was getting acoustic feedback with my ES-345TD at the time. One speaker was fine, the other just popped like a fuse.

Pyles are crap anyway.

It was a nearly new speaker that I'd bought new, because I was so broke at the time it was what I could afford. I sent it off to Pyle and they said it had taken too much power and wasn't covered under warranty. BS. That speaker is rated at 95 watts and I was running two of them in a 40 watt Pro Reverb. And not even very loud.

I said send it back, I'll have it reconed locally. And they sent a totally different speaker frame back to me. A much older version of the same model. Different label, different magnet design, different back plate design. I called them back and they denied they'd made any mistakes when they actually hadn't done the first thing right.

I'll never give Pyle a penny of my money again. I don't care if they make the most perfect Greenback inspired speaker on earth. (They don't.)

netlocal, MarshallDog and Wenander like this.
  4. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I've never blown one. One time, though, my young son found a meat thermometer and decided that it would be a great idea to stick it through the grillecloth of one of my cabinets. He managed to get only one of the speakers, could have been worse.

mAx___, netlocal and MarshallDog like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Just like a 2 stroke dirt bike runs like a bat out of hell just before it blows or runs out of gas.
    And yes those long skinny extension cords are bad for amps saws or anything in particular, the wires inside the cord are smaller and fewer of them and cannot deliver the amps you need at that length, if I could remember it has to do with the gauge of what you are using, for a longer run you need a lower gauge 12 is better than 16 ,
    I have rambled on enough now!
    Back on topic I have never blown a speaker yet !
    Cheers Mitch

netlocal and MarshallDog like this.
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Oh schucks , no blown speakers but I blew the power transformer in my old Silverface Twin when I was a kid over 35 years ago . Here is what happened , I was blowing fuses left and right and I just kept replacing them until one day I am playing and I smell electrical smoke coming out of the back of the amp and I look into it and the power transformer was on fire in blue and orange color and I shut the amp down and ripped the cord out of the outlet and had to have it repaired .

MarshallDog likes this.
  7. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I was playing through a 1x12 combo cabinet loaded with a Jensen Vibranto speaker thru my Marshall 4 holer...
    it sounded so good right before it shut down. I was only strumming clean chords, too. Last and only...

MarshallDog likes this.
  8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Not a guitar speaker, but a 5-watt speaker from an FM transistor radio.. my brother gutted one, wired a 1/3 jack and plugged it to the headphone jack of a Marantz stereo system... We wanted distortion, so this was the best/worse idea we could come up with...

MarshallDog likes this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I have never blown a guitar speaker, but I have seen a few stage monitors go up in smoke just trying to keep up with the drummer.

10. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

well there u go...i hooked my 1959 head into a v-type with an attenuator and it worked fine till i wanted some more !!! ...the 60 watter didnt handle the slp distortion for long...he he

MarshallDog likes this.
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

grainman likes this.
  12. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

I blew a couple of the Celestion 70 watters that were in a 4x12 (mid/late 80s), which was not expected. My amp head was a 50 early JCM 800. I don't remember the circumstances, gig, practice, or whatever.

MarshallDog likes this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

A 50-watter managed to blow stuff in a 280w-rated cab?

That's kinda odd

14. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

It is odd, no argument there! I had two more 70s laying about, put them in, never had the issue again.

15. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I built slo 50 clone it sounded like a chain saw . Almost blew out a single 12 . Started to red plate. Scrap it

16. MarshallDog

Were you playing really loud...near max, lots of gain/distortion for a extended period? The owner of Avatar speakers said he has seen small power amps blow speakers rated for much more than the amp due to the dirty signal and the way it moves to coil and creates heat...something like that if I remember correctly.

17. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

In 40 years of playing in bands, I never had a Marshall head go bad, or blow a Celestion speaker.
    Thats a ton of gigs and rehearsals. :)
    Off topic, but just sayin'

MarshallDog likes this.
  18. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

My grandparents bought me my first electric guitar in 1971. I was 13, and it was a 4 bolt Oly White Strat, which I still have.

So I played the guitar with no amp for about 6 months, of which I was just still thrilled to have the guitar. Id been playing a 66 Stella Harmony, and a 69 big box Harmony.

But my grandparents told me they would buy me an amplifier ( Oh if I knew then, what I know now ) so I decided on a Carvin 100w 2 x 15 ST2400. I still have it too. It is solid state. Never use it.

But I got the amp, plug it up, turn it on 10, and when I hit an open E both of the speakers instantly blew. Man was I bummed. The amp has a Lifetime warranty, but I knew if they replaced the speakers, with the same ones, the same thing was going to happen.

The speakers were 15 inch CTS. Don't know the model##.

So The upgrade speakers for this amp were Altec Lansing 418H, and I also knew Hendrix used the Altec Voice of the Theatre cabinets, so my grandparents ordered 2 Altec 418Hs.
    I installed them, turned it on 10, and the speakers took everything I could give them. I still have the speakers, and 2 x 15 cabinet. I got a 69 Dual Showman Rvb Head in 73, and also still have it, and had it Blackfaced/ODS mod 200 hours ago. Its still state of the art IMHO. Its crushingly loud.

But for me, if I cant dime my amp, and not have to worry about the speakers, I don't want them. Not for me. I don't want any speaker funny business.
    I like to use 2x the speaker capacity vs amp RMS. More if I can get it. I use the 2 x 15 Altecs ( 300w RMS ) with a LTD ED 38w Metro GMP45 head, and it sounds glorious.

So from then on out, my first test of amp/speakers is to dime the amp, use a drive, and play for at least 3-4 hours. I also can do this with no cops involved.
    But if it cant take it, I don't want it. And I don't want speaker funny business at this testing level either. The speaker(s) must be able to take it, No Sweat.

I also have blown my share of Jensens. 1 was in a Kustom 50 combo amp. 1970 model. Blue Sparkle Padded. My buddy bought the amp new, and had it 5 years, babied it, and probably never turned it up past 3-4. I got it, and the speaker lasted about 2 weeks. I replaced the speaker with a JBL k120, and also still have the amp/speaker. Also not saying the speaker didn't sound good, as it did. It was just unreliable in its application.
    Same with a 69 Twin Reverb. It has 2 Fender speakers in it. Junk. I got the amp, dimed it, and 1 speaker popped, and sounded like a bad fuzz.
    Needless to say, I have a bunch of JBL, Altecs laying around.

GIBSON67, soundboy57 and MarshallDog like this.
  19. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I tried taking my speakers out to dinner, movies, I've bought them jewelry, I have sweet talked and begged and begged.....but my speakers just won't blow...

I dunno, I give up.

MarshallDog likes this.
  20. MarshallDog

You anit strokin’ them right!!!!

mcblink likes this.