I Wanna Hear Stories About Your Speakers Blowing!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Wenander, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Wenander

Wenander Member

What happened? Did you just fuck up like an ignoranus or did you know the risks involved and took a gamble?

What amp and speakers did you use? or maybe your amp blew up instead? want to hear about that to.

I´m asking cuz i figure i very well could blow my two beloved pre-rola G12H´s with my jmp 2204, they are rated to handle 30w. that amp delivers over 100w when seriously pushed so i dont know how far i can go. But I think that the 30w rating is set pretty moderately...like when building bridges they can hold way over the weight rating.

So let me hear your story

Thanks ..

Attached Files:

Metroman, Adieu and netlocal like this.
  2. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes, but I blew it purposfully.
    It was a 400W SS bass amp and a tiny radio speaker. It produced sound for a few seconds, then it just stopped and smoke started coming out. Then it smelled like burnt plastic for a few hours in my room :D

Good times...

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

The only speaker I blew up was a little 6 inch stereo speaker, on purpose, with my 9w Gibsonette amp in 1973. It had a great fuzz tone for about 30 minutes until it fried. Since then I've had to live vicariously through my clients and friends, who all were pretty much ignorant of what they were doing, and learned the hard way.

I've had clients fry plenty of old Celestions, though. LOL

Metroman, KraftyBob, netlocal and 3 others like this.
  4. Wenander

Wenander Member

oh yeah forgot about that option. sounds fun...im off to youtube. =)

netlocal likes this.
  5. Wenander

Wenander Member

sounds like you could tell me about how much my speakers actually would be able to handle...

netlocal likes this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Here you go @Robert Herndon Project …… Your folly could be Jim’s as well !!!!

netlocal likes this.
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

So here goes...

One night my wife wasn’t home so I put in some ear plugs and cranked my DSL 40C on the Ultra channel, gain about 2.5 and the volume about 9-10 with one of my LPS. I had put a Creamback G12M-65 in it and it was well broken in.

So I played for maybe 10 minutes house shaking loud as hell, took a quick break and back to it sounded good. It was cool to hear things in the basement shake rattle and roll that I had never heard before.

After about another 10 minutes I thought I smelled something. Like electrical burning smell. So I sniffed around the amp found nothing so played again.

As I was playing the volume started dropping until it we to nothing. I was like OK here we go!! It was dead I thought it was the amp. So off to the work bench, opened her up looking around and found nothing burnt, nothing looked suspicious.

Then I sniffed around the speaker and smelled the same smell. So I hooked her up to my 2x12 cab and it played fine! So I measured the resistance and it was infinity then checked continuity and it was open. I pulled out the speaker popped in another one and all was fine.

I took the blown speaker and looked into the dust cap amp with a flashlight and I could see coil wires were actually just blown out and coiled all over the place...I started laughing my ass off, I blew that one bad!!! I cut out the dust cap and took pics but I cant find them now.

Ivanock, KraftyBob, John BNY and 2 others like this.
  8. MarshallDog

Speakers can handle a lot more then they are rated for BUT only for a short period. Its the heat build up in the coils that cause the insulation to melt along with the glue stuff that holds them in place and then all hell breaks loose and boom!

I was told that playing clean is not as bad as a lot of distortion playing due to something about the coil/cone movement being much more demanding as distortion goes up...I cant remember the hole explanation...The Owner of Avatar Speakers told me this.

Id be careful with those speakers in that amp.

netlocal likes this.
  9. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Do what I did - put those two geezers in with a pair of complimentary drivers and RELAX. Seriously a 4x12 is just better.

This is why I don't go ape for 'vintage' speakers - when they blow you're screwed. No more 'tone' or value. I blew a couple of Altec Lansings and they were $200+ to recone in the 90's - that cured me. I suspect not knowing shit about matching impedances and playing at stupid volumes [that hasn't changed much] contributed to their demise.

I have one pair of BB's from the 70's everything else is no more than seven years old - GB's, Scummies & EVM12L's.

netlocal likes this.
  10. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Never blown a guitar speaker (although my band used to blow PA tweeters regularly....)

I used a 1968 4x12 with original G12 Greenbacks for 20 years with a 100W 2203 without any problems, although to be fair the volume was never more than about 4 (which of course is still devastatingly loud!)

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I played an SVT through 4X12 and they ALL melted :lol::lol::rofl::rofl::lol: !
    They sound un-real, just before the smoke comes out.

12. Wenander

Wenander Member

wonderful story, thanks man this was just what i wanted..so rated for 65w and the amp is 40 i guess..? so that means i could very well blow my speakers..but that creamback is newly made now huh ??

netlocal and MarshallDog like this.
  13. Wenander

Wenander Member

yeah 4 on that amp is very loud...but it should deliver about 100w at that point so...as said i have played mine lots of times .. only played loud enough to get speaker distorsion 1-2 times .. and that was with TWO powersoaks

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Wenander

Wenander Member

Aah okey..now we´re talking. now I´m actually learning stuff =) makes me think about if you can mod speaker´s ...

netlocal likes this.
  15. MarshallDog

Yes the DSL 40C is 40W and the Creamback is a new production awesome 65 W speaker. Avatar mentioned its just not the watts is the distortion also.

netlocal and Wenander like this.
  16. Wenander

Wenander Member

yeah I hear you. I´ve been looking at scumbacks and others warehouse speakers or whatever they´re called.

I have them in a 4x12 now actually, both sitting at the bottom and two hiwatt speakers for nice treble...works really really good, but it weighs a fucking ton ...

netlocal likes this.
  17. Wenander

Wenander Member

i can only imagine ... as i said speakerdistorsion is wonderful =)

netlocal likes this.
  18. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

I did a gig at a Harvest Festival on a farm. The promoters had a stage made of hay bales out in a field, the power supply was a couple hundred feet away, with really long really skinny extensions run out to the stage.

I’d seen guys fry saws and compressors on construction sites where the temp power runs were too long or overloaded. So I was concerned with the power set up on the farm.

The amp was a mid 60’s Thomas Organ Vox Berkeley (the tube version) all original. With 2x10 Bulldog label speakers. One of the Bulldogs blew:mad:

I did another show at a ‘concerts under the stars’ thing at an old ranch house. Same set up- too long of extensions- and fried a Champ Amp.:pissed: (amp tho, not speaker this time)

Beware wonky (too low) power at shows. I believe it can cause amp and speaker damaging distortion.

Edit: re- read the o.p.- yes based on what I’d seen on construction sites I think I knew the risk and did take a gamble. I’m a lot more vocal now, if I get to a gig and see a problem like that.

But since I admitted I knew the risks it'd be fair to say I was an ignoramus:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  19. Wenander

Wenander Member

huh never heard of this. i dont get how it can be like that..heard of eddie van halen lowering voltages to get his sound..

netlocal likes this.
  20. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

Besides the couple instances of blowing up gear that I cited in the post above (I have more:hbang:), although not the exact same scenario, my belief about the dangers of bad power are based on this-

From JBL-

“If budget restraints or legacy equipment force you to use an amplifier with less power, extreme care should be taken to see that the amplifier is not driven into clipping. It may surprise you to learn that low power can result in damage to your speaker or system. Download our Danger: Low Power tech note for more information”

This is more for General Audio than Guitar but I keep it in mind.

My mid 70’s Marshall 2045 with G12M25’s gets treated like an old lady (who can still scream if’n you treat her right:agreed:).

Mitchell Pearrow and Wenander like this.