I think i prefer a half a bar now

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BowerR64, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:45 AM.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I never dive bomb any more now i just like the slight vibrato, i like when its short i can leave it on all the time

Fender American Deluxe.jpg Fender MIC.jpg Ibanez 420.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 6:04 AM
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I left my whammy bar back in the 80's, I have 1 guitar with a floyd, hardly play that guitar and when I do the bar never goes on. I'm back to the basics...

KraftyBob likes this.
  3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Same here. Nothing I play, or plan to play, justifies the need for a Floyd Rose type trem anymore. Planning on selling my Ibanez RG as well an another Ibanez I own as I just don't use them anymore. I'm perfectly happy with a slight vibrato on my Strat these days.

pedecamp likes this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yup I have a Floyd I put on an Ibanez Roadstar II, I'll keep it though, it was the first good guitar I ever owned, a whopping $400 in 1984!

KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

no dont sell your ibanez

BftGibson likes this.
  6. BowerR64

Even though i dont use the tremolo i still like em. Once you get em setup man are they solid.

7. KraftyBob

It's not just the floating trem I don't like, I've also grown tired of the Wizard thin neck. With the trem I went through a period where I blocked it so I could change tunings but then had issues with the strings getting hung up in the so called nut since I didn't lock it down. The whole purpose of blocking the trem was to easily change tunings, but I ended up having to still lock/unlock the nut - which defeated the purpose.

Regarding the neck - over time I've really come to like a thicker neck vs thin. I would occasionally get cramps in my hand after playing the RG for while and at some point realized I don't have the same problem with my PRS, SG or Harmony - all of which have thicker necks.

I have my eye on a hand made Paoletti out of Italy but the reality is I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on that for a while yet. So I'll probably wait to sell the Ibanez's until then. And while the Ibanez's won't even come close to off-setting the Paoletti, at lest it's something to put towards it. Otherwise I'll just piss that money away.

ricksconnected likes this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] dyduo.jpg 2rivb.jpg 1wkt.jpg asmsd.jpg DSCN1279.JPG
    I like the feel of a full sized bar in my hand, thanks! :cool:

9. ricksconnected

i feel ya. man how things we like can change over time. a lot of my fav bands have changed as well as my
    choice of listening tunes. use to be all i owned were Boss pedals and for good reason. they WERE the best.
    decades later i started to hear ear pleasing tones from other makers like Wampler for example.
    the world changed for me. i dont know if i just got older, my tastes changed naturally, or pedals got better, lol.
    whay ibanez do you have that your thinking about parting with? love those wizard necks

KraftyBob likes this.
  10. Cadorman

Cadorman Active Member

20190611_005234.jpg I just added a 'lil stubby to my mexistrat about a week ago. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  11. KraftyBob

I agree - our taste changes over time, or should I say, as we age :)

I have the RG470SA and AX220QMBB. Currently running the RG in Drop D and AX in Open E.

12. ricksconnected

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hmmmm,...interesting. :hmm:

14. BowerR64

Ive had a few Ibanez guitars over the years and never kept em long for some reason. I just got on a Mahogany body kick and sold a bunch of guitars and replaced em with something similar with a mahogany body.

Few weeks ago i sold an older RG guitar ive had for some 10 years but never really played it (bass wood) i sold it and got an RG420FB and this thing is nice. Shipped to my door $210. from guitar center. It also had a set of Duncan phat cats in it which were cool but i didnt care for how they sounded.

Ill probably dump the Duncans on craigsist and get some of my money back.

Right now im about to sell a cheap GIO Ibanez and my Jackson Dinky pro and get another Ibanez i like this 420 so much i want another one.

Are there any other Ibanez models that dont have the wizard neck? I dont mind it but i would like to try a little fatter one.

I mainly got it because its a mahogany body but ma it sounds and plays kickass for the money they are darn nice guitars.

15. ricksconnected

there are 3 version of the wizard neck if i remember correctly.
    some of the older ibanez did not have wizard necks. the roadstar comes to mind.
    great playing guitars

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.