I Played A Friedman Today - Now I Understand...

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Coronado, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Went to the GC on 635 today, and in their little sound room, they had a few Friedman's, including the Steve Stevens model, the 20 watt (Pink Taco), and the Brown Eye 100 watt head (which is what I plugged into). It was on top of a Friedman 412 with Greenbacks and V30's. This was the first time I've actually played a Friedman, and I have to say, I now get what you guys have been talking about. Five 12ax7's gave it some great gain, not over the top crazy, but just right. I played it through a 2016 SG Standard. What a pair. Even turned up a bit, there was no hiss or noise, but when you struck some chords, man did that thing come alive. I don't think I'm in love with the $3700 price tag yet, but I'm warming up. Honestly, I've always thought "just how good can this sound?". Wow, it sounds good. Really good. I need to climb out from under this rock a bit more.

I don't think I need another 100 watt head, but I would like to give the 20 watt a try (Pink Taco, I believe?). Hoping the 20 watt has a similar sound. For that tone, I don't mind paying the $1300 (I hope its similar to the Brown Eye!).

The Ozzk and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  2. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

The first time I heard one in a music store was blown away too. Great sounding amps but they ain't cheap.

Coronado likes this.
  3. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I tried the Steve Stevens and I did not like it.. Guess I'm odd.

Tell ya what though, I saw a video of the dirty shirley mini and that thing sounded GOOOOOODDDDDD.

Coronado likes this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review C.

Fuck the pink taco. I do.

I prefer the Phil X model. Suits my playing.

I'd go for the big iron. I have never liked the Pink Taco amp but that's me. The BE 100 probably be the right thrill for you. Personally I think they are way over priced. However some of his amps sound very fucking good.

The Ozzk and Coronado like this.
  5. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

I never played / heard a Friedman live; based on Youtube comparisons like these (which of course can be very decieving) I would take a Marshall anyday:

CraigP likes this.
  6. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

I use 2 BE100's live. A gen 1 and gen 2. The cleans get the job done if needed but I run HBE and roll my guitar volume back for clean. We cover Alice in Chains, Ozzy, Bad Company, Journey, Clapton, Hendrix, Nickelback, 7Mary3, 3 Doors Down, ZZ Top, Deep Purple Lit, Pudle of Mud etc...you get the point. My work is mostly Malmsteen/Norum/Lynch/G. Moore oriented as I play few note for note solo's. Crazy Train, Hotel Cal for example do require the sig solo's. Point is this amp does it all on one channel. Our version of House of the Rising Sun sounds like Lynch Mob did it.

Save your money and get the BE 100 gen 1. I see them go for $2,400 used. These are point to point and sound just like the gen 2. The difference is gen 1 has a half power switch with a metro zero loss loop. Gen 2 added bass and treble for clean channel and it looks like Dave just reversed the metro loop circuit to call it his own lol. Great amps...but my Cameron's kill for all out one trick 80-modern metal. Rant over...just make the investment and don't look back. My $.02

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Coronado likes this.
  7. Coronado

AH! $2400, now I like the sound of that! What I loved about this amp was how good it sounded at low volumes (as well as high). I LOVE the tone in your vids, so I'm now searching for a Gen 1! Thanks so much David!

NewReligion likes this.
  8. Coronado

I was curious what that one sounded like. I didn't really care for the odd laser looking graphic. The head and cab seemed a bit large/bulky? Is it a more modern sounding amp? I have tocheck out that Dirty Shirley! You gotta love the names he comes up with! HA!

Thanks Phil!

9. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

BEASTLY

The Steven's.. I don't know what it was about it. I just didn't like it. Couldn't tell you why, it just didn't do it for my ears.

Coronado likes this.
  10. NewReligion

I agree, I felt the SS had too much clipping diode feel when I played one in Chicago. In addition to the JJ. I prefer the BE 100 on HBE NO SATURATION SWITCH...i.e. Clipping non tube component.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Coronado likes this.
  11. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

I have a Marshall DSL and Friedman Small Box. The DSL is great amp and I actually prefer it over my old Marshall JVM. My Friedman is in another world when it comes to TONE, feel and construction. The Small Box is worth every penny and I have never played a better amp. You will know where the extra money went once you plug into a Friedman and spend a little time with it.

12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

When I tested both BE100 and the Smallbox at a fairly reasonable volume at GC, I found myself liking the Smallbox's voicing, especially on the Plexi mode. Though I would rather like to hear it driving a pair of Creambacks than the Vintage 30's.....

Coronado likes this.
  13. Coronado

WOW, I am really digging that Dirty Shirley!!! Love the tone, effects loop, 20 watts, 3 way gain switch, and LOVE the price!!! What's great is that I have multiple cabs (4x12's and 1x12's) with V30's, V60 (ENGL), and GT12-75 (and looking to add a Creamback 1x12). That Dirty Shirley 20watt head would work great with the different cabs!!

I've watched a bunch of different videos (thanks to you guys!!), and its official - I've fallen for Shirley's dirty smallbox!! Damn she dirty!! :run:

The Ozzk likes this.
  14. Coronado

This was way cool... This guy is awesome. I've watched his videos before (he's got some amazing gear!!). :drool:

The sound in this video was just fantastic! Thanks for posting this Phil!

15. Coronado

You guys have been great, and I really appreciate all the helpful feedback and recommendations! Its been a while since I played an amp and was completely blown away (well, a while back I did play a Mesa JP something with a black and gold Schecter Synyster with that sustainiac pickup and switch... damn, that was an experience!). But, this new smallbox is just perfect and exactly what I've been looking for!! Thank you!!

16. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

Check out this video also. I have the Small Box 50 watt head and it is just an incredible piece of gear.:D

Coronado likes this.
  17. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

LMFAO! awesome.

Coronado likes this.
  18. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

If I didn't already own a high gain Friedman amp (Cameron Atomica) I would've been all over the Smallbox, which I prefer to the BE. I only ever got to test them thru a Friedman 4x12 cab with Vintage 30s, but boy I'd sure love to play 'em thru G12-65s or G12H-30 Blackbacks.

I owned a Pink Taco for a week and returned it to Guitar Center. My Marshall JMP 2203 had more balls with nothing other than my guitar plugged... just get a used JMP instead. Might not make sense comparing a 100 watt amp to a 20 watt, but a used JMP is cheaper and sounded better at lower/comparable dB levels IMO.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Coronado and NewReligion like this.
  19. NewReligion

My gen 1 BE100 is a Small Box 50's when on half power and set to BE (3 gain stage) but I prefer 100 watts at HBE (4 gain stage). I do not like the sat switch...

Sending out an amp tomorrow for a very very special job...:)

BE 100 IPhone 5S

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Coronado likes this.
  20. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

How do your fingers do that?

Coronado and NewReligion like this.