I OWN A MARSHALL FULL STACK

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Exotic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

You can mix and match speakers with different wattage ratings, but the lowest wattage speakers are the weak link if your amp is too powerful.

It's the sensitivity rating that determines if speakers will be louder than other speakers. Same sensitivity, same loudness at a given amount of power.

As for ohms, there are three ways to wire up a 4x12: Series, parallel, and series/parallel. Series is simple. Just add up the ohmages. Parallel for four speakers, the total effective ohmage is determined by the Formula: RT = 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + etc..) RT is Resistance Total. R1, R2, R3, and R4 are the ohmages of the individual speakers.

Series-parallel is the most common setup. Two speakers are in series, added together, the other two are in series, added together. These two pairs are in parallel.

Four speakers of the same ohmage in series-parallel have the same equivalent resistance as one speaker. Four 16 ohm speakers in series-parallel is a 16 ohm cabinet.

Four 8s in series-parallel is an 8 ohm cabinet.

Four 8s in series would be 32 ohms. Four 8s in parallel would be 2 ohms. Four 16s in parallel would be 4 ohms.

Two 8s and two 16s in series-parallel, if there's one of each type in each series string, then it's two 24 ohm strings in parallel, giving 12 ohms.

2. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

ok thanks . i'm just going to run them separate to see how they sound alone then i'm going to run them both together (the cabs) see if there is a difference ,when i get a chance .
    i'm still repairing and making room in the house to stack them up ,and thinking of securing them to the wall to try to avoid them falling over ,planning on taking off the castors too ,do those just easily pop in and out or what?
    and does anyone know of a video where someone compares the g12t-75 to the vintage 16 ohm speakers?and then maybe runs them together? i found it :

but is my vintage 16 ohm really like the vintage 30?
    theres not much of a difference when together but this guys tone isn't the greatest .
    but ,it does sound at times like there's more than one guitar going ?
    and this combination is very far off from 2 greenbacks and 2 jbls d120f's right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Marshall casters screw in. Fender types snap in.

With the casters off you won't have any need to secure the amp or cabinets to the wall. They're really not THAT prone to tipping over. When's the last time you saw someone's stack tip over at a concert?

I wouldn't recommend standing on top of the stack to deliver your best solo, though, even if you do have the ceiling height to do it.

4. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

u think it's worth the trouble of taking the cabs covers off and mixing up the speakers in a x pattern or 2 vintage on top and 2 g12t-75's on the bottom? to each cab?

5. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

well it made it inside the house ,all i gotta do now is clear out all that other stuff surrounding it and stack the bottom cab and the head .
    1.what is an attenuator or a variac ?
    2.what kind of speakers were in the cab zakk wylde used for no more tears?
    3.why r jbl d120f's so expensive?
    4.if you put 2 vintage 30's and 2 g12t-75's in a cab ,how much of a difference in sound will there be from a cab with 2 greenbacks and 2 jbl d120f's?

Attached Files:

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

The old Marshall Birch cabs are super heavy. The guy that delivered my 2551B cab thought i was ordering boulders. I am glad that they kept the build quality for the Jube reissue cabs.

7. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, it is my understanding that the Marshall Vintage G12 is OEM only, and only comes in original Marshall cabs. And they are not the same as Vintage 30 speakers.
    Someone please correct me if this is not right.

8. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

That is mostly correct. There is a thread somewhere on this board explaining it but from what i remember the G12 is the original that was designed for Marshall. The V30s that other manufacturers sell are labeled differently.

9. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

ok here they r together ,does this count ? i know i know it doesn't . i know what u guys r thinking ,why doesn't he just stack it up and stfu already ,but i just discovered i need an allen wrench to take off the wheels .and sure in my twenties when i did martial arts and lifted weights it woudn't have been that difficult but i'm 5' 4" and i got a double hip replacement and i'm 54 years old ,weigh 250 pounds so it's not too easy by myself ,the handi man has been helping me move this stuff around . so there 's a photo of the bottom in it's new place i tried it out for a bit and now i'll try out the slant in my room for a bit and when i finally stack it up i'll put the guitars in front and take a pic . and you know the avt412 ,instead of selling it i can use it to experiment with various speaker combinations right? i mean now i will be looking at fender amps at the flea market in a whole new way ,hunting for those jbl d120f's !

Attached Files:

10. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

just curious in this photo that marshall 4x12 with the grey grill cloth ,what's that called? well this was taken around 1984 so the cab must be like around a 1979 or a 1980 or so ,so anyone hazard a guess as to what type of speakers and how many watts this cab was? i ran a 1978 100 watt mk II head with it for a while that is until it was stolen from a garage.

Attached Files:

jmp45 likes this.
  11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I hear ya, 64 here, could carry a 4x12 up and down steps by myself years ago. Not so much now, it was a chore taking down and putting up the 2204 off the top to check bias recently. Maybe get a friend to give you a hand.

12. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Late 70s small check 60a with black backs, 120w.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  13. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

wow yup ,so i had a 1970's half stack ,shouldn't the cab have burned up ? a 100 watt head with a 120 watt cab? aren't u supposed to have double what the head is?
    all that stuff mentioned was stolen?

14. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

how would you describe these 2 speakers ? the g12t-75 ,and the vintage30 ,as far as the bass or the top end or the mids or whatever it is u guys say ,what i'm getting at here is are those 2 balanced like the jbl d120f and the greenbacks are?

15. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

what year were the 1960bv's made?

16. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

i own a marshall stack and it is actually finally stacked up here's the photos to prove it ,so u can either believe it or get off on it !
    it's not all it's cracked up to be ,wtf am i gonna do with this thing now? it's too loud to practice with .i think the next project is to put together either a 2x12 or a 4x12 with jbls d120f and greenbacks and a 50 watt head?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  17. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

jcm 800 2210 set to 8 ohms ,jcm 900 1960a set to mono 16 ohms ,1960bv set to mono 16 ohms .

Attached Files:

jmp45 likes this.
  18. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

careful with them full stacks...they duplicate.

upload_2019-9-27_20-18-14.png

Left Stack: JVM 205-Modded (Variable Negative feedback control, bright cap switch,5mH choke).
    1960A Cab (yr:2002)
    1960B Cab (yr:2002)

Right stack: JVM 410-modded (Variable Negative feedback control, bright cap switch,5mH choke, plexi mod).
    1960AV Cab (yr:1998)
    1960B Cab (yr:1994)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  19. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

haha nice ,thanks ,but c'mon how about some specs ,what do the heads have inside ? what speakers are in the cabs?

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

“Hi, my name is Exotic and I OWN A MARSHALL FULL STACK”,.....

Mr. Natural and BanditPanda like this.