I Need To Give My Jcm800 4010 More Play Time.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lovehifi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. lovehifi

lovehifi Active Member

I traded a guitar for a 1986 JCM800 4010 a while back. Very good condition and sounded great except was not in love with the original 12m-70 speaker. Also it needed to be really cranked to sound great. Therefore I countinued mostly playing through my JVM410HJS because it sounds pretty good even at lower volumes. Today I switched out the speaker in the 4010 to a Creamback 12m 65. Much better! Earlier I also retubed it. Today I discovered the Low input and was surprised at how good cleans sound. I also found out how well the low input takes pedals. It sounds great! I ran the preamp volume up all the way up and put a delay pedal and a Fulltone Full Drive 2 in front of it and it sounds fantastic! And even at lower volumes. Very nice amp and I think I will be giving it a lot more play time.

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02097.JPG

DSC02098.JPG

DSC02100.JPG

DSC02028.JPG

DSC02029.JPG

2. Bsthetech

Bsthetech Member

Man that amp is CLEAN.

Trelwheen, The Ozzk and lovehifi like this.
  3. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Well this might shock you, but, the high input sound is also clean sound too.
    It just makes 2 signals instead of 1 which the low input makes.
    If you want the sound of actual marshall distortion then you need the single input marshall product.

Then you won't need any distortion pedals or aftermarket pickups.

Your amp is great, I agree.
    Marshall has chosen the best speaker though. ;)
    There's important reasons why they chose the model they did.

4. OU812

OU812 Active Member

What are "those important reasons?"

5. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Does this question existence mean that there's a new group of gear users out there in the world?
    The gear myth busters.

Dear mythbusters, what happens to the rest of your week once you ask a question?
    Signed marshall forum member. :)

Dear marshall forum member, being a mythbuster has caused a lot of work for us. Asking a question has really caused lots of extra problems in our work. I think we've all learned lots of new things, by asking questions. So it's a thing that you'll enjoy doing and sometimes you'll regret the extra workload in your life. Good luck marshall forum member! We recommend that you video yourself dealing with the answering of the question and then putting the video onto Internet video program's.
    once again, good luck and stay safe!
    Mythbuster.

6. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I never was a fan of the G12-M70, either. The first thing I did after playing a while through my 1936 (when I had it), was rip those out in favor of some Eminence speakers I had sitting around. Much better for my own sound. I miss that cab, at times. Nice 4010 amp you got there!

7. TubeStack

TubeStack Well-Known Member

Yes, the 4010 is a little monster of an amp. I loved mine. Tried a Creamback in it, which did sound much better than the 70, but I settled on a Mesa C90 (which is really a G12-80).

Enjoy the amp!

8. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Dreyn is wrong. Surprise. You do not have to use a one input Marshall to get the Marshall sound..also the high input is not just 2 low inputs, it a totally different circuit with way more gain as you know.

Also, Marshall did NOT carefully choose the correct speaker for the amp (the g1270) as the amp came stock with at least 3 different speakers. Most prefer the G12-65 best with the 80 second and the 70 last.

One fun little "wake up" it do use 6-12dB of clean boost in front into the high input with the gain set less than 7. Lots of chime, lots of gain and nice tight but big lows if the bass is on 10 and the mids and treble are below half. Sounds very convincingly like a 50 watt half stack. I A/B mine a lot and can get really close until I need to hit max volumes, then the stack runs away. Buy I can happily gig any bar with either. And the 4010 is much much much more convenient. In fact for some stages the combo is easier to hear than a much louder stack because it fill the whole stage with sound due to the open back.

30watt and wntbtw like this.
  9. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

That amp is gorgeous... :cool:

10. GT08

GT08 Active Member

You gotta love dreyn77......

11. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

Looks brand new, nice catch!

12. CQJR007

CQJR007 Member

GREAAAAT Amp !! Mine had the G12-65 in it, it's been there since the day i bought it in '82, great tone !!

[​IMG]

13. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

Mine had the G12-65 in it and I found it a little too shrill so I swapped in a Creamback and it improved the sound significantly.

14. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Member

Nice enjoy!