I need the older guys to help me!!!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by blackone, Apr 5, 2011.

1. blackone

blackone Well-Known Member

Well, the young ones too. I'm in my late 30's and I need a career change, BAD!!!!! But I just don't know what to do? I know they say find something you love and do that, but the stuff I love I can't see making a decent living as I've tried it thus far without much success. Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who's been in this position before and come out the right way

Thanks guys

2. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

My experience is that people fall in to two groups man.

A) They call it work not fun, you get up and go in so you can do other things you like.
    B) I gave up everything so I could enjoy life and my craft, and I dont make a lot (if any) money at it.

My oldest friend and I are polar opposites in this. I have been in the same career since I was 14 (33 years now) I have a good paying job with great benefits that sucks the life out of me sometimes. My friend plays grass roots and rock a billy in bar bands and has not held down a day job for more than a month in over ten years. He never as two nickels to rub together, but he is not unhappy either.

I dont know many people who fall in the middle of the groups. That being said, life is all too short, if you are unhappy, try something else. You have plenty of time to go back to school.

audiochains, DirtySteve, Sepp and 3 others like this.
  3. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

Start your own business! Look into it a little, it is the greatest thing I've ever done. More hours, but way more freedom and money! I can't tell you exactly what to do, but start thinking about it. I've learned a lot over the last several years. If you have questions pm me (I know this sounds like I'm trying to sell you on away or something but I'm not. I just enjoy business start ups and success).

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  4. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

It is not richer he who has more, but he who needs less...

Whatever you gotta do to survive, you owe it to yourself to still enjoy those things you love in life.

Focus on creativity and enterprise.

Good luck to you! (and to me!) :fingersx:

:cheers:

Sepp and brp like this.
  5. blackone

thanks for the input guys! I've already been back to school once and I was trying to avoid that, and I own my own struggling business now, so I guess I'm still looking for the answers to how to find the right thing. I hate getting old! I think I need some sort of careers advisor, to tell me what I'd be good at?

6. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Well-Known Member

Would you be interested in more schooling? I don't know if you've gone to college at all, but if you haven't I'd recommend it, and even if you have, going back can buy you some more time until you figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

I was lucky in that I knew I liked computers as a kid, and even though people didn't think there would be many jobs in the computer industry when I was in high school, I stuck with it, and I couldn't be happier working in the software industry.

My wife, on the other hand, went to college thinking that she was interested in sports training, but after 4 years, she realized it wasn't an industry she was interested in working in. After a couple years of working retail, now she's about to finish her RN degree to become a nurse, and I can tell that she knows that she's about to be doing what she wants.

She's in her mid 20s, but she's the youngest one in her classes. Most of the people are in their mid 30s to mid 40s, so we've learned that it's never too late to change your life. And going back to school right now is a great deal, because it's easy to get funding to do so.

What is your skill set? Knowing that is the first step to figuring out if you should / can change careers, or if you need more knowledge to do so.

The thing about jobs and skill requirements is that everything changed before things could settle after the last change. 30 years ago, you could easily get a job out of high school and work your way up, so college wasn't necessary. When I was about to graduate high school (late 90s), it started coming around to where you needed some kind of higher education degree to be able to get any good jobs.

Now, since companies have to be extra "exclusive" about who they higher, you really have to have that extra something to set you apart from the rest of the crowd.

EDIT: I see now that you said that you want to avoid more schooling, but just know that there's more ways to gain skill sets than just going to college. It's just a little harder now, since it's hard to be able to get skill sets through OJT (on the job training).

7. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

Dude....sounds like you have been hanging out with me too long.....only i dont seem to be as bad as your friend.......i have been well off and currently not as well (sold the 59ri)....it's all good....shit will get better....not my 1st recession?

8. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Well-Known Member

"Re: I need the older guys to help me!!!!"

I'm old and need help too.

9. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    I used rock n roll to help me get thru an engineering degree....took a kids and career break...now Im using engineering to help me get back into rock n roll. Im 52 and went full circle. It is do-able.

10. brp

brp Well-Known Member

a) What kind of business do you have?
    b) What do you love?

11. blackone

I'm in post production work of stills, kind of. I have an arts degree and before that I had a trade qualification. I love, well, all kinds of stuff, it'sjust finding the right direction I guess?

12. blackone

how old were you when you went back and got your degree?

13. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

I was in the same trade for close to 25 years. When the market crashed so did construction/security shutter business. I love music went to work for he who will not be named saw the wrong way to do things and now do it on my own. No work just fun helping people shape there tone 1 guitar at a time. I started the RND for this over a year ago came up with some basic winds and never looked back. By the way I am 43 with a family of 6. Go for it.

14. richieG

richieG New Member

A struggling small business sucks dick. You have all the stress and dramas AND not make decent money.

If you wanna make some money in music and have a bit of a change you could try:

1: Teaching guitar: I made a living for about 6 years doing this, purchased a house and supported my young family.
    2. If you can sing, swallow your pride and go out solo and play punter music. I did this for years after I sold a business I had. Made a reasonable living with an acoustic, stomper, looper, swearing at crowds and playing Brown Eyed Girl.

I made a big jump when I was 28, I gave up my teaching (Because I was fucking sick of it) and went into IT. For a long time I thought I had made a dreadful error in judgement. But I slowly got there and in the end it served me really well.

Don't forget the econmy is fucked at the moment. if you are keeping your head above water you are doing OK.

Maybe make a list of all the stuff you like doing and find someone who you respect and brainstorm some business ideas.

I feel your pain. I am a restless guy as well, I now have another business that I am very happy in, but it took me 20 years to find it (I started work at 15 and I am 42 now) and enjoy music as a hobby now as opposed to having to do it. Its good, I employ my son my wife works there as well and another dude, and opening another outlet as we speak. In my sketchy work career to date in rough order I was a sprooker, wholesaled jewellery, sold Real Estate, Picked fruit, was a bouncer, worked on shows (ferris wheels etc), was in the Army, played in bands, taught guitar, had a coffee shop, had an IT company,Played Solo music. man that looks bad when you type it out. No wonder I am unemployable.

I see your in sunny OZ, if you want any tips re: teaching or playing drop me a PM and I'll PM you my Mobile.

Moose Lewis likes this.
  15. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I've had to start completely over a few times, and I think most people my age have. Most people in the future will have to do the same in their lives I believe. Do some research to see where the job are and will be in the near future...the ones that pay decent of course. And get more training or eductation. I like figuring out things, and I have always been good at customer service. It's the soft skills that get you hired, but you still need the training to get in the door. I went back to school about 10 years ago to get more advanced computer training, as that was where the jobs were. That training got me in the door of that field...and the soft skills and experience eventually got me a decent paying job.

16. rustyrat

rustyrat New Member

I had to star over at 32. got my BS at Syracuse University. School might not be the answer but it sure helped me. I struggled but now I'm quite well off. You might want to seek career counseling.
    Good luck
    RR

17. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) *sniff-sniff* Makes me all teary Eyed when a youngster does well.

:):) TWIN

Georgiatec likes this.
  18. spiritdave

spiritdave New Member

I make video games for a living .... and I have earned a fair amount of money from it ... and I love it.

You don't HAVE to have a shitty job to get paid well. I think you gotta really think long and hard about what you wanna do, and even if it isn't something you thought you'd wanna do, it could turn out to be the job you love and earn a ton of cash.

blackone likes this.
  19. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the 59 Buggs.

20. blackone

Agreed Dave, I guess I'm just starting the thinking process and just kinda seeing what might fit