I Need Guitar Wiring Help

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by pedecamp, May 1, 2016.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I put a 496R humbucker in my Strat bridge and want to brighten it just a tad but not affect the other pickups. Is there a way to do this with different pots or capacitors? I don't know anything about wiring so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks. Paul

2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Yes there will be. What pots do you have and in which settings do then operate? Does your wiring split the humbucker at all?

3. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

The high end roll off that tone caps provide can be of assistance moving from left to right (more high end roll off to less high end roll off)....

.1uF (old Fender) -> .047uF (Fender) -> .022uF (Gibson) -> .015uF (Gibson) -> .01uF (Gibson)

matttornado likes this.
  4. jack daniels

5. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

The tone cap is probably not the right target. When a tone control is set at max treble, the tone cap value makes negligible difference. But the tone pot value is significant there. The cap value only becomes significant once you turn treble down, usually to 5 or 6 or lower.

6. jack daniels

Have you ever tried a .1uF cap across a 250K, 300K, 330K, 500K pot? The pot type and value is important as in the example of the OP's HB but, if you've got a .1uf cap wired across one of the aforementioned values you will notice.

7. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, I sure have ( well maybe not a 330k). When tone is a 10, the value of the cap really makes no difference. The cap is in series with the pot, as in a standard tone control. You could use a 0.01 cap, or a 1uF cap or a piece of wire. Turn any of the pots down, then the cap value makes a difference.

8. pedecamp

Its a stock MIM Strat so I believe the pots are 250k, all I did was replace the single coil bridge with a humbucker, the rest is stock. No split in the humbucker.

9. jack daniels

Take a look at the wiring diagram links I mentioned...

10. jack daniels

The 330K seems to be a popular choice of modern guitarists. I believe it was the Les Paul Forum guys touting this particular value.

11. pedecamp

I looked but didn't see what I'm looking for.

12. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

I don't really know anything about strat wiring (mostly the switch), but looking at the strat HSS diagram, what if you turn one of the tone pots into another volume pot and have a master tone control? Then you could have a 500k pot on the bridge and a separate 250k volume for the middle and neck. One of those diagrams puts a pushpull on one of the tone pots to turn it into a volume pot when pulled, so my logic is that the pot could be wired permanent as a volume pot without the P/P and make the other pot a master tone....no?

I need to learn this stuff, I have an HSS Strat build in the early planning stages.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

What Id like to know is, in the B position, do you have a tone pot acting? If so, then using a no load, or disconnecting it for that position is a simple answer

14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

If you currently have the classic wiring with no bridge tone control, and you want a bit more treble than that, you could swap to a 500k volume pot. You might like it on N and M too, and you can always turn their tone controls down a tad if not. Or, hard-wire a 470k resistor from the pickup hot wire to ground, on N and M. That, with a 500k pot, will make them see about 250k.

pedecamp likes this.
  15. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

X2 post

16. pedecamp

I spoke to Dimarzio and they said exactly what you said JohnH:

To brighten your bridge humbucker replace the volume pot with a 500k pot and add a 470k resistor to keep the other pickups from being affected by the new 500k pot.

[​IMG]

johnfv and DirtySteve like this.
  17. pedecamp

Where can I get a single 470k resistor? Really I just need 1 not a box of them.

EDIT: Mojotone. I just answered my own question LOL

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  18. pedecamp

I spoke to Dimarzio again and they said if you want to brighten your neck pickup without affecting the bridge pickup replace the neck volume control with a brighter pot, so simply replace your 500k pot with a 1mg pot. I'm gonna be trying this on my SG, I'll let you know how it works out.

19. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

20. pedecamp

I have another question. The pot in my Strat is not labeled so I don't really know for sure what it is. I know MIM Strats are supposed to have 250K pots but I want to check it with a meter to be sure. How do I do this with a meter?