I made a killer deal and didn't even know till months later

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Aug 12, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So story goes like this:

A few months ago I got a bit bored and decided to build a partscaster style guitar. I had the neck of a Japanese Jackson DK2 I really liked, found a purple superstrat body with a Floyd route used online for cheap and I needed a whammy bar for it.

So this popped up for 130 euros:

119_818404892.jpg

I didn't even pay attention to the guitar itself, I only saw the Gotoh G1996T Floyd style whammy on this cadaver and thought for 130 euros I might just as well grab it.

I get to the sellers place, turns out he's a guitar player of a former band here in Austria that used to be somewhat big, we walk into his garage that is full of old amplifiers and guitars and it turns out he's also a well known amp tech and builds his own amplifiers for some of the better know artists here.

Anyway he tells me he bought the guitar years back and only used it a couple of times on stage for Drop D tuning but didn't play it ever since.

He tells me the frets were dressed, the board is brazilian rosewood and the guitar itself was built by a Slovakian luthier no one knows.

I don't really care about all the info, bring the thing home, rip out the Gotoh, build my Frankenstrat and throw the guitar in a gigbag in a corner of my room to collect dust for the next 8 months or so.

Now I decided to thin my herd and save some money for the custom build I am about to comission, so I took the Frankenstrat apart again and put the neck back on the original Jackson Body to be able to sell it as a proper DK2M online.

So I had the Gotoh lying around and thought hey, why not put it back where it came from, I have some time and might just as well slap some strings on the no name guitar and see how she plays.

It's a few hours later now and I have this:

20190812_185452.jpg 20190812_185507.jpg 20190812_185512.jpg 20190812_185517.jpg 20190812_185528.jpg 20190812_185531.jpg 20190812_185536.jpg 20190812_185540.jpg 20190812_185547.jpg

I installed the Seymour Duncan SH-10 Full Shred I initially got for the Frankenstrat, single volume pot, built an electronic cavity cover out of cardboard and duct tape since the guitar came without one, put on a fresh set of Elixir 10-46, tuned her up and plugged her in.

Holy mother of Jesus.

What a sound. What a feel.

This thing isn't only one of the best sounding guitars I ever played, the build quality, especially the neck, it's on par with all of my expensive high end guitars.

The guy wasn't lying when he said that this guitar is handmade. I can feel and hear it. Harmonics in spades, full yet tight low end, great string seperation and clarity, ridiculously low action and no dead notes or fretting out. Sustains for ages.

Now I am torn. I obviously won't get rid of it, but I really don't like the swiss cheese style body. It came with 2 minitoggle switches and a ton of options, I don't need all that stuff though.

Should I go out and buy a neck and middle pickup for it, install the minitoggle switches and utilize all the possibilities or should I hit up my luthier and ask him to build me a new body for the neck?

Seriously this neck. I can't describe how amazing it feels.

Only thing I am afraid of: if I have a new body built for it, will it still sound this amazing?

For now I'll play the crap out of this guitar. I can't believe I got this for 130 euros and ignored it till today :facepalm:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Don't unpair a body and neck that work well together

Consider a pickguard to cover swiss cheese and extra cavities

And, for starters, paint the inside the drilled holes with permanent marker

3. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I would leave it just as is. Add the parts you want and leave the rest alone. Holes and all. You wouldn't be the first guitarist to do this or the last. If it has magic that's all that counts. Maybe a custom pickguard if the holes really bother you.

Mitchell Pearrow and GuitarIV like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yeah I say just play it while you can, you'll move onto something else eventually and toss it off to the next guy.

5. GuitarIV

You guys are absolutely right. I had a friend of mine come over in the meantime (I had the whole day off today) and he was just as baffled as me by the sound of the guitar. Whatever it is, the combination of the body and the neck or the SH-10 in this particular instrument the thing rings as clear as a bell. I don't want it to lose that mojo.

I will order a SH-10 neck model in white to go with the bridge, install a 3 way toggle switch, keep the master volume pot and then have my luthier cut me a custom pickguard to cover up the holes on the top. I'm thinking black guard with white pickups might look sweet on the "tobacco burst", something like this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, one might think that. However I spent 4 hours playing the guitar today and it was hard to put her down. Whatever it is, something clicked. If all I have to do to cover the cosmetic flaws is pay for a pickguard to be made and an hour or two of labour, so be it. I think I have found myself a keeper. Funny how life works sometimes :p

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think I might just fill those holes with wood putty and spray it black.

7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Fill in the holes with what works best. I will be even more versatile.

8. GuitarIV

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll be on vacation next week, when I get back I'll pick her up and if I'm still in love as I am right now I'll make her a project. I'll keep ya posted, cheers!

P.s.: I'll just leave this quick snippet here:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Sapphire Sounds and SkyMonkey like this.
  9. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

what is the wood its made of? it kinda looks like mahogany but then it doesnt

The headstock kinda looks like an older kramer

old kramer.jpg

10. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

IF you do plan to fill the holes - puleeeeeezzze use wood dowels / wood cut to fit don't just fit it with bondo.

Russ

11. GuitarIV

I will have to take the guitar to my luthier, I'll ask him what he thinks and also if he knows what wood the body is made of. Depending on price I might have him fill out the holes and just do a new paintjob, if funds allow. Otherwise pickguard it will be. I'll keep ya all posted!

Geeze likes this.
  12. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I would not "fill those holes". It might change the resonance of the guitar. Put a pickup in there instead. Better yet leave it as is.

GuitarIV likes this.
  13. Robus

Robus Active Member

Tldr. Congrats on the killer deal.

GuitarIV likes this.
  14. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Active Member

mount it with the mini toggles without wiring them. just to fill the holes... the same for the tone knob, just make it "whole" again and enjoy it.

GuitarIV likes this.
  15. GuitarIV

Getting a matching Duncan SH-10n in white for the neck as soon as I'm back from vacation and then I'll throw in a DiMarzio Area single I have lying around. If the guitar still sounds awesome I'll leave it like that. I don't have any other HSH guitars anyway so this might work. Dunno if installing a pickguard might rob it of its tone? :p