I just bought the dsl40cr and I need some help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chance, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

So I have a gibson les paul. N I have only ever had a valve state Marshall so this is my first all tube amp. I'm (like every other guitarist) trying to get that acdc tone out of it I've tried diming the masters and channel volumes on clean to push the power section n its not quite right. The classic red sounds to thin n fizzy and the od1 with gain at 11 n guitar volume at like 4 or 3 gets close should I just not crank the amp that high? What channel will give get me the closest and what amps are each gain stage modeled after. This is my first post so sorry if I'm asking to many questions

2. Len

Len Well-Known Member

The channels aren’t really modeled after other amps, but the first channel in OD mode with the gain cranked gives AC/DC tone.

Micky and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Try using one of the OD channels with the gain at about 2.5 to 3 and the volume up loud. The green channel is not gonna get you AC/DC tones without a tubescreamer or the like.

And on the red channels, I think you’re setting the gain too high and the volume not high enough.

Concentrate on keeping the gain low and the volume high.

Robus and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, mine are the dsl40c’s , not the cr, but my ac/dc settings would be green crunch gain 5, volume 5, my mids , treble, presence, at 8 bass at 5, resonance 5 and I am there all day long.
    Cheers Mitch

5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Chance :cheers:.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

This is one of my dsl40c’s with the same setting’s in my above post
    it’s also with an SD1. Before every one starts telling me it’s too much gain for ac/dc , I know!!
    But this is how I like to hear it.
    Cheers Mitch

steveb63, scozz and SkyMonkey like this.
  7. Chance

Chance New Member

Gain on the classic gain red is at 3 volume us dimed As is master seems like too much gain still nthr les Paul's volume is rolled off to 7 on the od1 I'm at gain 4 volume and master dimed n guitar volume at like 5. Does everyone roll off there volume as well? It seems like too much gain for acdc Or am I hearing things wrong because it's to loud maybe they use more gain then Im aware of am I better off on classic red or I'd green rolled off?

8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Pickup height can help to lower gain too. How close are your pickups to the strings. I have a guitar with an X2N in the bridge. After many years of being a distortion freak I tried lowering both pickups on this guitar and never looked back. Still powerful but less mud/compression and easier to dial in a good tone for a range of tones, even clean(ish).

9. Chance

Chance New Member

Well I'm only using 490s they arnt too close either. Maybe too far is it normal for a amp to sound like it's kind of farting out when you literally Max the volume out

10. Mitchell Pearrow

No that’s not normal, but you do need to break in the speaker, and I never turn mine above 5 on the dial, and gain never gets above 4 on the red ultra 1 channel.
    Cheers Mitch

11. Mitchell Pearrow

My V had to lower them as well

12. Mitchell Pearrow

The pickups are dirty Fingers, and they where to boomy in the stock height from Gibson, I lowered them until I liked what I heard.
    Cheers Mitch

scozz likes this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

All the clips I am putting in your thread here are of the dsl40c’s :band:

14. Mitchell Pearrow

15. Chance

Chance New Member

let me narrow things down to one at a time. My first question is. What will get me closer to acdc tone. Od1 with gain n guitar volume rolled off or classic gain red channel. With low gain higher guitar volume. Basically. Those who have the 40cr what is closer in ur opinion. Red classic or green ultra for acdc

16. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Just use your ears. You’re only describing 2 different settings, so try each out. You’re not going to find that everyone agrees on which setting to use.

On a side note, I assume you aren’t playing in a band. Most of the time people find that the isolatet guitar tone from a song is more clean and midrange than what it sounds like “in the mix”, so someone playing at high volume in a band will have different settings than someone playing at lower volumes home alone.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  17. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Len speaketh the truth !!

18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Got any other speakers to plug into laying around?

Seems like they changed it to the V-type for the CR model.... but I'm not sure how much of an improvement that is/isn't

19. Chance

Chance New Member

Im playing in a band n in that setting I seam to slice through great n it sounds fantastic but it's when Im at home trying to narrow down some artist tones I dig that I find myself pulling my hair out. Because no matter what setting I use I sound like me n my setup lol. But never at bedroom volume lol. 90 percent of the time I'm around 2 o clock on master and volume or much higher.
    It just didn't sound good to me unless I'm past noon

20. Chance

Chance New Member

Then again I haven't really even touched the 20 watt mode which would help get good tone at lower volume. But my main concern with the original post was amp sound a little farty or fizzy when it's maxed out. It's either too much for it to be ran wide open. Or my ears can't hear properly when its that loud lol. It sounds good loud just not cranked all the way up. Is this normal?