I Hate To Be Here With A New Amp...

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by pedecamp, May 13, 2019.

1. herbvis

herbvis Member

How does that resistor in that position even blow? Thats messed up

tce63 likes this.
  2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Active Member

As you will find out with my 78 Marshall Superlead/bass. Ampmad

I intend to post a thread of it's own and explain how it unfolded and where it will go from there.

tce63 likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I was very polite about it and sent pictures through Reverb. At that cost I wasn't paying for a hack job, maybe for half I would consider but with the burned board probably not.

tce63 likes this.
  4. pedecamp

This is the last time I buy an amp without getting gut shots, cant take the word of a seller that says mint condition without pictures. I'm an honest guy I've sold many amps through the years and not a one was ever sent back, it shouldn't be too much to expect the same from others but it is apparently.

I just realized this guy has no seller feedback on Reverb its a new account, dumb on my part for not looking before. Regardless I'm covered by their protection.

5. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Active Member

I bought a replacement main board for my TSL on ebay a few months back, it was advertised as the replacement revised board to fix bias drift.

I was sent a used revision 4 board instead of a new revision 20. I was optimistic it was an honest mistake until the seller requested the junk board back. Now I'm not so sure, but either way he refunded my money and it was all good.

You were wise to inspect the amp.

6. lespaul6

lespaul6 Member

this kind of thing really makes me angry... I purchased two different amps off ebay in the past that had mods done to them and/or had issues even though I asked if any mods or repairs were done to the amp! I'm glad my buying days are done for the most part.

7. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Here we go again. In my opinion, today's preamp pedals easily exceed preamp modifications, by using the stock gain stages to enhance the [pedal modified] input signal. If you can, get that amp back to stock specs, and purchase a Kingsley Jester, or Constable, preamp pedal. Best tube pedals made, hands-down! If you need less input at the 1st gain stage, use a lower db tube at Marshall V1. If you can find one, add a Soldano Hot Mod to the Marshall V2 socket. This will help wakeup the EQ section. Perhaps a Hot Mod clone...if one is available, I don't know?

If you're looking for insane, compressed, saturated, multi gain-stage distortion, I'd invest in a Fractal Axe-Fx. By the time you get through modifying a tube preamp for that sort of gain, you've pretty much buried the sonic benefits that come with playing a tube amplifier.

8. pedecamp

He doesn't want to refund, he says everything was fine and I broke it. I'm gonna have to fight for a refund.

9. chilipeppermaniac

That is Total BS............ Pede

10. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

He's a retard, obviously.

11. chilipeppermaniac

u mean an ASH- HOLA,,, don't you, 67?

12. pedecamp

The guy claims the orange cap is part of the ppimv mod. I doubt it, can someone confirm?

13. chilipeppermaniac

Well, did you do a PPIMV mod? NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so, it looks like his claim that YOU messed it up, is bogus

14. chilipeppermaniac

15. pedecamp

It came with a ppimv mod.

16. chilipeppermaniac

pedecamp likes this.
  17. chilipeppermaniac

YES I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was being your LAWYER

pedecamp likes this.
  18. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Orange Drop .68uf = V1 Bypass cap and it has nothing to do with a PPIMV mod. A Marshall 1987 model with a PPIMV is not "mint condition never left my studio"!

neikeel likes this.
  19. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

As the man above said and I have also said twice, the preamp was modded and someone fixed a fire and the output socket was replaced, these are not mint/untouched and nothing at all to do with the PPIMV.
    Call him out and use Reverb protection, this is a very public test of their customer care process and I hope someone associated is reading this thread.

20. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

I wonder if because you opened it up all claims are void. I don't know what reverbs policy is but a friend of mine got burned on ebay by opening up a guitar with a dead pickup. If a policy like this exists, and this dick is aware of it he may use it to his advantage. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I would have just said it was blowing fuses and left it as that..although I understand you are an honest person and you were just being honest with the guy. It fucking sucks that dick isn't able to return the gesture.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.