I Cannot Play A Strat'

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Surecatch, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM.

1. blues

blues Member

I think Blackmore does the same thing. I saw a comment where he said he does not use the middle pickup.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Don't do that. Terribly inefficient technique and encourages slop and sloth. A wraptail LP cures that habit, very quickly.

3. Robus

Robus Member

Never has a problem. Try a Tele.

4. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

I can play about any guitar you put in my hands. I don't get the strat complaint at all.
    its like people spend so much time with a folk they cant use a spoon. WTF?

5. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the volume knob. My first proper guitar was a Strat my dad got me for my 18th birthday. I was all into metal and shit (still am, just found my love for blues over the years) and like a spoiled brat I complained. Dad said the Strat is a guitar that can do everything. Well he was right and nowadays I understand why he got me one and I love him for it.

I learned how to solder, got a new pickguard and set her up for a dual volume and single master tone combo (like you would find on a Les Paul minus the second tone). The volume pot for my bridge pickup is now in the middle position, the volume pot for my neck and middle is closest to my hand. So even when I riff away like crazy and bump into the volume closest I am still on full power on the bridge :D

That said imho it just needs some time getting used to. I was puzzled when I got my first Les Paul about 2 years ago after only playing a Strat, 2 weeks later I didn't even need to think about it, my hand instantly found the volume pot. Same with my Jackson Rhoads models, they have a very awkward placement for the pots and switches, but when I play em for a couple of days my hands know what to do. It's all about practice.

Just play her for a month. It'll become second nature :)

6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Active Member

Exactly. That's the number 1 reason for me.

I like to rest the heel of my picking hand on the strings, just behind the bridge between the bridge and tail piece. Can't do that with the Fender bridge.

Also, if there's a knob right [there], that ruins everything too.

You know, because I'm such a skilled guitar player otherwise, you know. :rolleyes:

mirrorman likes this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

8. ricksconnected

:agreed:

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Love the sound of a well set up Strat. Set mine up fully floating, stock wiring and 9-42s.
    Yes the volume pot can be a pain but you get used to it with perseverance.
    Sure my Gibsons (LP and 335) or the Martyn Booth get first call. But sometimes only a strat will do for those in between sounds. I love my Tele too but with the coil spilts on the LP and MBs I can get all the Tele tones I need with them.
    With years of trading up and down I feel that I could probably manage any situation with any one of my guitars if I really had too (but don’t tell my wife that).

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

Thing I like about Fender guitars is you can dig in because of the string tension. There can be a wider dynamic range for picking expression. You can pick the hell out if a note's voicing way up near the last fret, whereas with a Les Paul you have to pick up on top of the last few frets and then the dynamic isn't as dynamic.

That said, I love both Gibson and Fender guitars. A Les Paul, a Strat, a Tele and a decent acoustic are all the tools a guitar player ever needs.

And at least one Marshall.

12. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

The volume knob placement gets me too. I can play them in the standard position, but it's definitely uncomfortable after years of playing Les Pauls with the knob out of the way. I usually just rewire them for a master volume and master tone in the usual tone/tone spots.

[​IMG]

neikeel, jmp45 and DirtySteve like this.
  13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I think the ringing of the springs inside the body is a large part of what drives me crazy, when I try to play it.
    Too much boing factor.
    Guitar sound mixed with vibrating steel springs....

But yet, other people can make it sound good. (as you know, I believe Hendrix was the greatest who ever lived....)
    So, it's something that I don't "get." And I probably never will get it.

14. ricksconnected

spring ringing is a easy fix

slide222 and johnfv like this.
  15. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

insulation tape on the springs is a very easy fix
    on strats I so love the position of the 3 knobs and in particular the volume knob is very easy to change while playing , which is not the case with a les paul, and with a les paul I find I hit the selector switch when strumming
    I much prefere 1 master volume on standard strats , which is perfect for my pinky to reach I know you can preset with 2 volume, but seems like too much going on , and the in between sound on strats is just so right

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    ricksconnected likes this.
  16. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I've pretty much always had a strat / tele and Les Paul / SG
    It was never much of an issue to go from one to the other. I enjoy switchin up ...the different tones of the different scales.
    Im pretty comfortable with a strat ...I just think they're overdone

and yeah, I thought Yng got that middle pickup thing from Blackmore

17. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

My favorite is to cut out the bridge for a humbucker, lower the center pickup flat and then remove the second tone and slide the volume and tone down and just tape over the hole.

My favorite strat setup is just a whole new pickguard with just a single in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge with just a single push push volume.

Step one Red Squier Crate 65 3.jpg Step 2 Red Squier plus crate 2.jpg

Nitrobattery and jmp45 like this.
  18. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

That's an idea I may need to try out.

19. Robus

Robus Member

I think that is one of signature ingrdients to the strat sound. You can hardtail a strat, or get a tele.

20. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

I played Strats for 30 years before finally owning a few Les Pauls. I think if your formative years are playing Strats it's no bother to swap from guitar to guitar without issue. Half the trick to playing a Strat is moving your picking hand from neck to bridge to either mellow or brighten the tone. If you pick near the neck with the bridge pup on alone, it really thicken the tone.