I Cannot Play A Strat'

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Surecatch, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Surecatch

Surecatch New Member

The more I play guitar over the years and the more I improve, the more I find that whenever I pick up a Strat'...I just can't play it. I simply cannot deal with the presence of a middle pickup.....it really bothers my playing hand and makes me immediately put it down and pick up my LP again. The other thing is the location of the volume knob (the top pot'), in front of the bridge and closer from top to bottom. This really interfers with my playing hand also because of the way I learned to play, and I'm constantly hitting it with my fingers. It sort of makes me sad that because I gravitated to playing LPs and other Gibson/Epiphone type guitars over the years, I am now shut off from being able to play a Stratocaster in it's classic form. I'm curious to hear other thoughts and experiences on the subject.

I do have a decent Squier Strat' that I'd like to take out the middle pickup and the top pot', wire it for a neck/bridge PU config' with one V and one T (the bottom two) and leave the two empty spots blank. I haven't accomplished this yet, but I think it'll be an interesting experiment.

(Btw, this is not a Strat' bashing thing......I truly wish I could play them better and enjoy them more)

The Ozzk likes this.
  2. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Sounds legit
    Too bad though. I mean, one of the cool , defining strat characteristics is that bridge / middle position on the pickup selector. Its a lotta fun to fool with that tone

Didn't Yngwie adjust the middle so far down until it was outa the equation ? A friend of mine inherited a 3pu SG an had issues with the middle being there and I just screwed it down

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I cannot play a strat either.
    It reminds me of a baseball bat, with strings attached.
    Gimme a Gibson.

fat_lenny, MAD 69 and MarshallDog like this.
  4. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

You're not alone.

The Ozzk likes this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I did play one for a while, but it wore my fingers out.

I was thinking: "WTF" how did Hendrix play these things? He must have had some strong fingers.
    I suppose that if the greatest player who ever lived could play one...there must be something to it. Well, it sure sounded good when he played it.

6. Trident

Trident Active Member

I have access to one and like the sounds I get from it but I have a hard time as well... Compared to my other guitars I struggle with a strat... but like em

7. jstich

jstich Active Member

On my strat copy I mostly use the middle pickup for bucking hum. I have my middle pickup adjusted so its flat to the body. I like digging in there too.And yes the volume knob is too close to the bridge pup for me too. I made a new pickguard and moved the volume knob away from it.It was cheap.

8. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Love strats but they are not the first I go to. Neck scale, profile, radius, middle pup and v pot position. A mixed bag of issues. Just takes a little time to acclimate. I'd get use to it if I played them everyday. Strats are kind of utilitarian for me. Raised on Gibsons they get the first go to, then my Parkers. Gibsons are a work of art, well some of them imho.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. About twenty-five years ago, I had been playing a Gibson ES-225TD for thirty years and injured my left hand in magnetizing coil accident. Afterward, I could not play the Gibson to save me. I was distraught. A friend loaned me his Indonesian Hss Strat and low and behold, I was playing again. After about a year, I had recovered and was playing my Gibson again, but I've kept at least one Strat in my stable ever since.

The Ozzk likes this.
  10. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

The Strat is by far the most comfortable for me but I think it just depends on what you are used to...

11. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

You pretty much named 2 of the top complaints of Strats. So like someone else said, you're not alone. I learned on Strat style guitars so I don't have those problems but can clearly see why others would.

12. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

It's just a matter of getting used to them. They are very comfortable for me to play, however I experienced the same issues when after playing LP's for a few years nearly exclusively I went back to using Strats. After a while that volume knob goes from a pita to an awesome spot for rolling your volume up and down,,,,,

YMMV
    Peace

ricksconnected and Biddlin like this.
  13. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

I love strats, but I prefer super strats more.

- Compound raidus

- No Pickguard

- No middle pickup

- Floyd Rose (Lets be honest better than a fender trem)

- No 24 frets!

- Most importantly NECK THROUGH!

Sailindawg and Derek S like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Since I got my Gibsons some years back I find I need a Strat less and less.

15. mtsv

mtsv Member

After playing 15 years of Strat, I acquired a Les Paul and an SG. First the location of the pots were weird for me, since I was used to play with the single volume pot on the Strat to back off some volume. Honestly, Gibsons are easier for me to play now, especially the tension of the strings seem less (probably due to the length), so I need to adjust myself, particularly during the bends. But I can say that the Strats have their own mojo.

16. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

I love the sound of Strats, but hate playing them as well.
    For me, it's the trem bridge. I tend to rest my picking hand on the bridge when I play, on the Strat this just makes it almost impossible not to wobble the bridge and make the guitar sound always out of tune.
    I should try a hardtail some day.

17. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

What ????? A good guitar is s good guitar , no ?

18. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Strats are very modifiable...

So just ditch the middle tone and move the volume there,
    and lower the middle pickup flush with the pickguard.

GuitarIV, ricksconnected and johnfv like this.
  19. RobLaQuinta

RobLaQuinta Active Member

I went the other way. After 30+ years of playing a Les Paul, I bought a Strat and fell in love with it. Then I bought a Tele and it's my new favorite guitar.

If the Strat isn't working for you, try a Tele. It addresses the ergonomic issues you have with the Strat and it has it's own trademark sound. You just might like it.

20. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

FWIW - I always set the springs so the trem is firmly flush with the body, the tuning is rock solid when I rest my palm on it. Of course you can't pull the trem up that way, you can only dive. YMMV...

mirrorman and MarshallDog like this.