I can score 2 UK V30's 8 ohm- DSL40CR content

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dave J, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Dave J

Dave J New Member

So I can get my hands on an old Johnson Millennium amp made around 1998. It has 2 Vintage 30's in it - UK made I am 99.999% sure as Celestion didn't move off shore yet and they are for sure original equipment. I'd like to maybe throw one 8 ohm V30 in my DSL40CR combo and the other in a 1x12 cab - closed or a 3/4 closed Mesa I have. To do this I'd have to run them in the 2x8 set of output speaker jacks, which would be a 4 ohm parallel connection. I know most will say as long as I have speakers and amp matched up ohms - wise there will be no difference in sound. I am just checking to see if there are any red flags, I don't want to take any Marshall goodness from the amp.

Kinkless Tetrode and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Two 8 ohms speakers in parallel equals a load of 4 ohms, so yes, you are correct. Plug them into the 2x8 ohm jacks (on the left).
    Please post your opinion of the results.

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

George Jetson called, he wants his amp back.

[​IMG]

Adieu and SkyMonkey like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Did you rob that trash-talking redneck Scott from Youtube???

5. Dave J

Dave J New Member

I owned this amp a long time ago, although I didn't buy it new. About 5 years ago I gave it to a good friend who needed something to play thru around his apartment. One of the "issues" some of these amps had was they would randomly reboot, so it was not a reliable gigging amp but ok for noodling around the house. My friend might be giving it back to me. I think for the late 1990's they were at the top of the modeling game, and still not horrible to just fire up quick and play. If I got it back I was thinking about the V30's in it. I'd throw a couple of other speakers I have laying around just so it's still functional if I want to play it.

So I know the two 8 ohn V30s are correctly matched when I use the 2x8 set of output jacks, and that it will be like 2x8ohms in parallel which will equal 4 ohms on the OT. I have always run it at 16 ohms with the V Type it came with, which is a very nice speaker. I guess my question is will running it ( correctly) at 4 ohms tighten up the sound too much vs 16ohms? I have always been under the impression that a small part of the Marshall "sound" had to do with using 16 ohm speakers and also series wiring. So does anyone run their Marshall at 4 ohms? Notice anything different?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020