I am thinking of gutting the 40C.

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by tmingle, Apr 5, 2020.

1. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

Well, my DSL40C is starting to experience some of the switching gremlins & a few other issues.
    I am considering elimination of the PCB & hand wiring a plexi or 800 style circuit with a tube buffered FX loop. Will the stock PT & OT work for this project.

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes, I think it might work.
    As long as you design a 50W amp, and don't overload things too much, and can match the output to the OT, you might have a great idea.

3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Burn it and go buy a 2203, 2204, 1959 or 1987 type. Look at 2205, 2210, 2550 series also.

MarshallDog and JM5010 like this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Good lord.
    Get it fixed and sell it.
    There are lots of better platforms to start with.

neikeel likes this.
  6. tmingle

Thanks Mickey.
    I use the Lead 1 channel exclusively & never use the tone shift. The FX loop would be for EQ & reverb. I also use a Line 6 Helix in 4CM & also use the modeled sounds direct into the FX return. The goal of this project would be to create a RELIABLE amp that will last me more than 5-6 years with routine maintenance. These amps are manufactured to a price point(the more expensive ones are as well). I would venture a guess & say that along with a faulty switching IC & a bunch of under rated relays/components, I will find at least 2 cases where the small filter caps will need re-soldered due to vibration.
    I was going to do this with my 401 but, got a great deal on a 40C instead. I fixed the 401, listed it on Ebay (including a full explanation of all the repairs that were made over the years so the buyer knew going in what they were buying). IIRC, the 40C cost me $150 difference.
    I maintain & repair manufacturing equipment in a large medical equipment factory & repair the same under sized components & poor wiring design on equipment 100X-750X the price of a guitar amp. I certainly don't care to spend $1500 & wind up in the same boat. IIRC correctly, the DSL401 was a $1300 amp at 1 point in it's history.

"As long as you design a 50W amp, and don't overload things too much, and can match the output to the OT, you might have a great idea"
    The power section would closely match the 40C's circuit. That should take care of the OT matching. The only concern with this design is the rather high G2 screen grid voltage. If any tweaking is done , it will be in the pre-amp section. I still think this amp could use a little less gain or better taper to the gain control.
    I also think the power Xformer will be adequate for this project. I may actually not need the 5V portion of the DC low voltage supply.

I have a friend who is a recently retired electrical engineer & converts old tube radios/PA amps into guitar amps all the time. He is not a guitar player, but knows his way with tubes very well. He has been pushing me in this direction for awhile now. I would think $200 should easily get me the supplies for this project. I am still working, but certainly have spare time on the weekends. I will start a BOM & see where it goes.

Micky likes this.
  7. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Well-Known Member

Hell, I think it's a great idea! It's a solid cabinet, though not pine, but still... Solid chassis. If I had the amp, I'd go with a 2204 circuit, and maybe a PPIMV (gotta do something with the extra holes). I say, go for it!

8. tmingle

I'm thinking maybe the 4010. I will definitely be including PPIMV & the 3 stage John H attenuator w/line out as part of the build. Based on my current work schedule, this is going to take a while. I need to start with an Access DB for BOM and then start pricing.