I’m Getting A Kemper

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

fwiw, there is really no such thing as a FRFR unit..

There will ALWAYS be some tonal variation/color/response from ANY combination of amp, drive unit and cabinet.. We would hope that differences between FRFR units be little, but thats not the case and so you will ONLY get the tone the patch was designed to be IF you use the entire signal chain of the patch author, and of course, have his ears..lol

not meaning to be dogmatic with the caps, but the fact that there are endless debates over which FRFR to get supports the statement 100%..lol ..i mean if any two or more of them were actually FRFR then they would sound the same..

What is important though (and i do not know Kemper well enough) is whether whatever system you get allows for a flexible enough general EQ to tune your setup to a different "FRFR" amp/drive unit/cab, the PA, room or whatever without getting into patch edits..

2. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

You should like the Kemper.
    I enjoyed mine while I had it.

I had the powered Kemper head, and used it with real cabs.
    When I played through monitors, there was a "disconnect" for me, feeling like I'm playing a recording...if that makes sense.

3. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I’ve been fascinated with the Kemper since I first saw it. But I know so much of the tone I like comes from the old celestions in old plywood boxes, and I just don’t trust anything else to ‘interpret’ that sound for me. Now a Kemper through an old basketweave? Hell ya.

4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if musicians friend allows the 15% off coupon on these? It won’t in the shopping cart and their wait time to answer is endless in their chat room.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

far better off calling.. had some success in the identical situation...

6. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I've been kicking around the idea of a Kemper since they came out, but my years of tire kicking have moved me more in the direction of Fractal Audio. Right now I'm kind of debating between an AxeFx III or an AX8. I actually prefer the idea behind the Kemper (which is why i initially gravitated in that direction), but I'm really concerned about what I've read w/regards to how limited you are in tweaking the amp models. After all of this thinking / debating, I think I've determined that if I had a room full of amps that I wanted to capture (w/my own settings … this is crucial) then the Kemper makes more sense … but if I just want to dial in a modeled amp, then I'm thinking the AX makes more sense. Tomorrow I'll probably lean toward the Kemper … I've mind fucked myself over this for so long that I don't know which way is up anymore.

Trapland likes this.
  7. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

8. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

This video really sold the Axe-Fx to me. This a long 2 part video, but it really captures Eddie's album tone more than any other modeler (or tube rig even) that I've heard on YouTube. Once you get comfy with Fractal's Axe-Edit software, the power is mindboggling.

I used these exact settings with my FX8 (minus the amp models) with my modded JCM 800 in a stereo config and I can't really hear a difference between the album and my amp now.

9. texhex

texhex Active Member

Fractal’s stuff is legit. Best software editor in the business. I’m just waiting on them to release the replacement to the AX8 and I’ll be back.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  10. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Hey congrats! I agree with a lot of what's been said about the kemoer as a head vs frfr cabinet. For playing live with a conventional band with amps, the kemper as a head is phenomenal. My choice is a kemper with a good sounding cabinet. I use a cab loaded with greenbacks and it is awesome

[​IMG]

11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

12. Williamwolnka

Williamwolnka Member

Pros about kemper.
    1. Light weight and can fit everything including the footswitch in the gig bag they offer for it including all the cords and expression pedals.
    2. Looping function
    3. Ability to run to an xlr out to the sound man and use cab sims.(no more mic and cab)
    4. It handles dirty power as well as clean power. Not the case with all tube heads.
    5. In a cover band situation with a variety of different bands being covered it is easy to program the actual amps being used on the songs to be covered.

That being said I dusted off my jcm800 the other day and fell in love with it all over again, but not reliable, versatile, or light enough for me to take to a gig. Especially with the monsterous pedal board I have to bring with it to cover a set list with 40 plus songs.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  13. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Any standout reason for going with an A cab over a B cab?

14. Australian

How do you go about getting clean tones on the 800? Do you use a 2203 or 2205?

15. Williamwolnka

Williamwolnka Member

I used the volume knob a lot more and was constantly stepping on pedals. The clean tones out of the 800 are not Mesa or Fender clean, but a little chorus helps. I keep the amp set so I get an ac/dc type overdrive at full volume then can roll off volume to clean it up. I use a boss sd1 to cover heavier songs like scorpions and some of the 80s hair band stuff. I use an Eq in the fx loop to boost leads. A ton more work than using the Kemper. It’s comparable to going from a stick shift to an automatic you just have to put the time in programming your remote to work with your set list. Once that is done it’s so easy.

16. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Anyone getting a kemper needs to watch the clean sense adjustment video. You also need to find the pure cab controls and space controls. I hated mine until i adjusted the clean sense settings. I run my kemper through my fx return on my jubilee and it sounds better than a anything else i have played through. I have a toaster since i don't gig but you can't go wrong either way. The transpose feature would be great for a touring band that has a few tunings but doesn't want to haul a guitar for each tuning.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  17. Australian

I have the gain on 10 when I use the 2203. I’ll have to do some more experimenting. It would be godly to use my 2203 live next year, but I need cleans.

Or I could put a dedicated amp in the Kemper. The irony is that I could use my pedal board with a couple of cleans and dirty sounds on the Kemper and use no effects in the Kemper to keep it simple.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  18. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Kemper users check out the free profile called "Thrash Collector" I believe it is a profile taken from a JVM. It sounds killer for any thrash sound.

19. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

No I use it with a straight also. I usually run more than one cabinet with it. It sounds good with any or all of them LOL.

20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I think I’m going to go powered head, pedal board, through my 1960AX with greenbacks.

I heard an interview today that Steve Morse is using these now for non-deep purple projects. Ironically, my Engl Steve Morse rig is the main reason I keep hesitating. It has emerged as my clear number one and does everything well. It makes it hard to justify buying the Kemper.