Huh?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

This past weekend I took a trip through the gold country down to Angels Camp and across to Stockton. We were in my friend's Porsche 911. After a nice cruise through the foothills, we stopped in Sutter Creek for a late lunch and I noticed a guy in a pickup eyeing the car while we ate. Before leaving town we stopped to get gas and the same guy pulled in just behind us. He never came up to the pump island and never got out of the F-150, just watched and talked on a flip up cell phone. About 20 minutes down the road we were pulled over by CHP, the officer announcing on the PA, "Driver, open the door with your right hand and step out of the car. Walk backwards to my car. Passenger, open the door with your left-hand and walk backwards to my car." He proceeded to pat us down, seat us in the back of his SUV and search the Porsche, no consent, no warrant and no articulable suspicion. He never called for back up and refused to tell us why we had been pulled over, beyond, "You guys and the car match the description of a suspicious prowler." My friend is a lawyer and is filling a foia request for all the call logs, but why in the world would a "public servant" risk a fat salary, benefits and pension just to hassle someone with a nice car?

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

sounds like mr f-150 had it out for you...

3. RatDaddy

RatDaddy Active Member

Q: "but why in the world would a "public servant" risk a fat salary, benefits and pension just to hassle someone with a nice car?"
    A: "You guys and the car match the description of a suspicious prowler."

:nono:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Two old white guys in a Porsche 911 in N. California on a weekend match about 300 or so cars and drivers in the Amador/Stanislaus county area. It doesn't even come close to "articulable suspicion."
    The car's owner works at the Dept. of Consumer Affairs as a staff attorney, but worked in a county DA's office for awhile and knows the ins and outs. He thinks it was about the car's history, he's the second owner, but he also says cops hate exotic cars.

5. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Maybe he just wanted to see the inside of a Porsche 911. He'll not likely see another.

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  6. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I was once a certified LEO (and hold a degree in CJ). A "suspicious person" call is not a justifiable, felony traffic stop nor does it meet the "Terry Stop" requirement.

Your friend should sue the CHP and Mr. Truck Driver (the call center will have his info).:coffee:

7. Biddlin

One hopes that it will not come to that, because right now an explanation and apology from the officer would go a long way, but if it was a swat call from F-150 guy, why handle it that way? We had pulled over on the shoulder as soon as the officer lit us up. All he had to do was check the license and registration, which my friend would have volunteered and say "Thanks. We're looking for car thieves. Have a nice day." 90 seconds and everyone's on their way.

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

WANTED
    [​IMG]
    Phareto Biddlin

9. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

It was the sunglasses, people in sunglasses are naturally suspicious...:slash:

Mitchell Pearrow and RatDaddy like this.
  10. RatDaddy

RatDaddy Active Member

I was joking but I couldn't "purple font" the emoticon. :(

I suspect he wanted a closer look at your car and fed you a line of shit actually.

11. Biddlin

Well, it turns out that the officer's supervisor got back to my buddy and there is a mostly benign explanation, at least on the CHP's part. the officer, who was three weeks off probation was flagged down by a former state senator and well known local big shot who said he saw us driving recklessly and thought he saw a handgun waved out the window. The guy called his Sgt. and is told check-em out and he went a little overboard. So we're not gonna make a big deal out of it and hopefully rookie learns a relatively painless lesson. Apparently the Porsche's on board cameras caught us passing the pickup truck, in a legal manner, about 15 miles from Sutter Creek and that may have pissed him off. He's gonna get a warning about making a false report and false arrest and a letter from my friend. I still don't know why the cop didn't just verify our IDs and the car's reg. and say OK, my bad, have a nice day, but they don't hire them for or train them in people skills. A few academies have started "De-escalation training" but just basic customer service skills would be a good start.

12. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Sounds like the type of cop I'd want in my neighborhood and you would probably be the first to abuse police for not doing their job if you got robbed. I wouldn't go anywhere near Sutter Creek in the porsh for a while.

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Population 2501 middle of nowhere boondocks, 'nuff said

Went on a trip through all contiguous 48 a few years back, got hassled by local cops about 5 times in places like that - backwaters in Idaho, Iowa, upstate NY, Georgia, and Mississippi - for not doing much of anything.

"Suspicious behaviours" like loitering while staring intently at a map at a gas station parking lot.

...never got more than a flashlight shone in my face or a curt suggestion to move along, though.

Oh, except a nosy Mississippi gas station clerk who approached me with what might have been a gun in his pocket to inquire wth I was doing. Which was damn odd, considering I was examing a tire with a large dial tire pressure gauge, I mean seriously dude what DOES it look like I'm doing????

14. Biddlin

I don't call the police for that kind of service since they don't do anything after you've been robbed. I would hope the rookie is grateful we aren't making formal complaints since he clearly f'd up. I find the folks in Sutter Creek are pretty cool and doubt that they would know that Porsche from the several hundred others that drive by every weekend. They are quite common here in N.California.
    In 1974 I was traveling from Atlanta to L.A. on my 1967 Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor. I stopped in a small town in Texas to fill up at the Flying A and in those days, the attendant usually came out and pumped the gas or reset the pump for you, but this guy just stood in the office door right hand on his hip looking at me. I finally said "Excuse me, I'd like to fill up." "We ain't got no motorsickle gas." was the response and I ran on fumes to the next gas station a few miles down the road.

15. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

16. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I was stopped by the police so many times because I was doing nothing wrong that If I had a dollar for each time I´d be rich.

And the part that really caught my eye in the OP is how you handled the police. I use to drive a porsche in mexico and one of the reasons I sold it was that the car was very flashy and both police and criminals really liked it. I live in a very nice neighborhood where there´s a lot of ferrari, lambos, mclarens and all sort of exotics but by some strange reason my old porsche really grabbed their attention.

I wish I could file a complain about the police screwing up things, asking for a bribe... the best thing here is to fly under the radars.

Mitchell Pearrow, Adieu and Crikey like this.
  17. Biddlin

I get it fine. A frustrated old man was pissed off because a nice sports car passed him and he made up a tall tale for the police to spoil our day.
    "Btw. Porsche's are for hot women or men going through mid life crisis."
    So I assume your Ford Falcon is for impotent blatherskites on the dole?
    Don and I are both well past mid-life and have been driving performance cars since the 1970s. We met about 40 years ago when I was laying out rally courses for a local club. Though my butt now rests in a Lincoln Town Car's heated seat while driving, I traded in a Saleen Mustang and still enjoy cruising the beautiful California roads in a spritely vehicle.

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Sue

19. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

The 911 series is iconic

20. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

She was in the boot!
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.