HSS Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SkyMonkey, Feb 16, 2020.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Cheers @JohnH.
    I will look into those.
    But my guitar isn't a Strat (no scratchplate to drill). I am loathed to go as far as to doing any permanent mods to the bodywork.
    Also are the singles in those diagrams wound the same or different (winding or polarity).
    This is what I am working with, a Charvel Fusion Custom.

20200216_181417-1500.jpg
    I would readily sacrifice the tone control (never use it) for a switch if I could find a toggle the right size, or a blend pot.

KraftyBob likes this.
  2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I agree with you in that I wouldn't start drilling holes either. I know you don't want to go push/pull, but if you ever changed your mind at least you have the right knobs for it :) The Fender knobs are a pain.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Find a toggle switch with the similar diameter shaft or do the blending thing.

4. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking guitar

On my diagrams, they do depend on having the right relative magnetic polarities, ie RWRP or not. I colour the coils red and blue for this. It doesn't matter about north or south, it's the relative differences that count.

If you want to check yours out, you can use a compass or another small magnet.

My own view on HSS is that I really like to be able to blend a bit of a bridge single in series with neck. It's like a variable mid boost and all my diagrams posted here can do it. I'm not so keen on a single cut from a bridge hb, but that would depend on your own preferences.

It would be easy to have a standard wire up (probably as you have now) and just move one wire on your tone control to make it into a variable bridge coil cut. Might be worth a try ahead of anything more complex.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

It's fine, but it looks to be a generic mini-toggle and at 10 quid it has quite a mark up!

Much more important, consider it's thread length, since it is going through your solid top. You need enough thread to get through and place a washer and tighten a nut. I've had trouble with fitting these switches even in thin solid tops. You could mill more wood from behind inside the cavity but I bet you don't want to!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Just replace your volume or tone with a pushpull pot instead imho

8. SkyMonkey

I've ordered this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0394459/
    Looks like the same length thread as the tone pot (9mm) and the same diameter nearly.
    £3.16 including delivery!!!

JohnH likes this.
  9. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Is that ESP, maybe MKII?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  10. SkyMonkey

Close.... No actually, way off!
    '89 Charvel Fusion Custom, 24.75".

20200221_092403-1500.jpg

11. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I'm gonna make a suggestion here that maybe will help you out. I've done a number of complicated wiring schemes on my Tele but for the life of me I cannot get my head around how superswitches work, but there's almost nothing you can't do with them.
    There is a member on the tdpri (Tele) forum who goes by the handle @Moosie who is damn near a savant when it comes to this stuff, and if you post your question there he will post several diagrams within minutes. He's helped me a bunch. Deaf Eddie knows his shit also but I have trouble reading his style of diagram which is totally on me.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Here's how the Super Switch works. I put this together for a friend of mine...

Super Switch 2.jpg Super Switch 3.jpg Super Switch 4.jpg Super Switch 5.jpg Super Switch 6.jpg Super Switch 7.jpg Super Switch 8.jpg

Here's how I initially wired my Strat so it automatically coil splits the humbucker in position 2. The lower tone pot controls the humbucker, while the upper tone pot controls the single coils - including position 2.

Fender HSS Wiring15.jpg

I later added a push/pull pot so that I can split the coil in position 1 if I want, yet still have auto coil split in position 2. This drawing is for a mini-toggle which I planned on using before deciding on a push/pull pot. Same idea though. And obviously it only shows the wiring for the bridge pickup

Fender HSS Wiring16.jpg

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. SkyMonkey

I got the mini toggle today and it is too narrow.
    6mm shaft in an 8mm hole!
    The shaft length is OK and it has a lug that can dig into the cavity wood to stop it spinning.
    I have looked for an 8mm shaft toggle and have come to the conclusion that they do not exist.
    Next option is to sleeve the shaft inside the hole with an 8mm long, 8mm OD, 6mm ID bushing, and get a thin M6 washer for the nut to sit on. But this chase is getting tiresome.
    Next option is a push/pull pot. But as I've said I hate pots that spin when you blow on them.
    CTS would be the preferred pot for a stiffer operation, but they do not make an 8mm dia. shaft push/pull.
    Going slightly mad by this point.
    I did even think of installing an O-ring under the control knob to stiffen the turn, but it would just come loose in the up position.
    If there is no Superswitch option that will work without a push/pull, I give up.

I do appreciate all the responses on this question.
    Cheers guys.