How to use a stage speaker

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by JustinHagen, Sep 14, 2019 at 1:37 AM.

1. JustinHagen

JustinHagen New Member

I don't know much about Audio in general so this may seem like a simple question but...
    My wife got a Stage Speaker from her dad that she wants to use on her Karaoke machine... :shock:

The speakers inside are Celestion g12m-70 @15 ohm impedance. The type is T3577 if that makes any difference.
    It has 2 - 1/4" jacks as input. No Power input.
    I know I have to run the Karaoke output (3.5mm headphone jack) to an amp and then to the Speaker set.
    My Question is what's the easiest and cheapest way to do this. They're primarily drunk when the sing so I don't think super high quality is required. :fingersx:

I was thinking that I might be able to use a car amp to power it but 15 ohm impedance is fairly high isn't it?

2. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

See if you can find a cheap box PA amp …… You have a Passive Speaker cabinet ( monitor wedge ) ……If it’s a solid state amp you can safely run it with a line level input …… a car amp is probably not going to give you much oomph …… Most Of Those Are meant to dump into really low resistance ( 1 or 2 Ohm ) …The higher Speaker resistance will not hurt the amp but you will be lucky to get any usable signal

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Just as Jon said above, you need a power amplifier.
    Karaoke out> power amp in / power amp out > Speaker
    The 3.5mm headphone jack needs an adapter cable which changes 3.5 male to (2 X) 1/4" male plugs.
    The 2 X 1/4" plugs will be left and right audio.
    The power amp will have an input which accepts 1/4" plugs usually.
    You can buy this for about 5-$10.
    You can probably find a cheap power amp.[​IMG] The Sampson Servo 60W stereo amp is $200.00 at Sweetwater Music.
    The Lepai [​IMG] 20W amp is $20 at Parts Express. If you use this amp, you need an adapter cable which is 3.5 male to (2X) RCA male plugs.
    Or this amp will use 3.5 male to 3.5 male cable instead.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 3:12 AM
  5. JustinHagen

JustinHagen New Member

Awesome.
    Thanks a lot guys.
    I appreciate it.

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

I'm curious about the speaker cabinet. I'm guessing that it's a guitar cab? You note that it has multiple speakers. How many? If it has 2 speakers at 15 ohms, then chances are, the cab is an 8 ohm cab. If it has 4 speakers, it could be wired for either 16 ohm, or 4 ohm. It's best to use a multi meter at the point of cab input, just to make sure.

If it's an old Marshall cab, the cab (& speakers) might be worth something (collectible), & using it as a stage beater for karaoke might not be such a good idea.