How to slave?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Arthur, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Arthur

Arthur New Member

Hey Guys,
    Getting a new amp tomorrow, which I already posted. And wanted to know how to "slave" it to my DSL.
    Thanks
    FYI the amp is a JMP1c.

2. Username2

Username2 New Member

Run a instrument cable for the 16 ohm speaker output into the FX return of the DSL. This will automatically disable the internal speaker. Be sure you set the JMP1 amp to low range (0.1 watt) so not to damage either amp.

Thats it really, adjust the JMP1 as you would any preamp and then use the master volume on the DSL.

3. duncan11

duncan11 Well-Known Member

Pretty much it, and if you want to put fx in between it, just go from JMP1 into FX, then out of the FX into the loop return of the DSL, then affix the appopriate cab to the DSL and you're good to go.

4. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

By sword or by debt.

Or what nuke said. :D

diesect20022000 and Ghostman like this.
  5. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

be aware that the master volumes on DSL's are placed BEFORE the loop!!!
    that means you're running the poweramp at full tilt...

MonstersOfTheMidway and aikiguy like this.
  6. metromutt

metromutt Active Member

Don't know about the jmp1 but with my valve amp I run a powerbrake set to load to protect the amp in one speaker out then in the other I run a line out box converting the signal to instrument level then send that into the front of my second amp. This is the best way to have both the pre and power section working as one. The only thing is you need to keep the second amp clean. A lot of guitarist have used power amps as the second amp because of their clean tone like the old mosfet HH amps.

I guess this new jmp1 doesn't need to see a load, is it a ss circuit or is it an inbuilt line out where only the pre amp section works? I've had a few amps with that feature but without the power section cooking it sounded too fizzy/buzz like.

7. Arthur

Arthur New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! But do I use a speaker cable or a guitar lead? Also is it safe to use this without a power break or is it likely that I will blow my amp?

8. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

im not a hundred percent sure but since the signals so low as long as its in .1 watt mode an instrument cable should be fine. i feel like an unscreened (i think they are?) speaker cable would either not work or would sound awful or something. and which amp are you worrying about blowing? the jmp or DSL? you definitely wont blow the jmp by running it this way as it was suggested by the designers. the DSL on the other hand, you dont NEED a power break seeing as theres nothing wrong with diming an amp. as long as you have a properly rated cab. but its going to be loud as all shit and since dooley says that the Master on the DSL comes before the loop youll essentially have no way of controlling the volume, save for turning down the JMP which would decrease the signal to the jmp1 power section which means you wont get the power tube break up that probably drove you to buy the jmp1 in the first place. you should buy a volume pedal to place between the jmp and the DSL and that would act as your new DSL master volume, allowing you to crank your JMP and keep the DSL at whatever volume you wish.
    like metromutt said you want the DSL power section running clean or else youll have your already distorted tone coming from the JMP being distorted even further (most likely in a very unmusical way)

Arthur likes this.
  9. Username2

Username2 New Member

Use a instrument cable not a speaker cable. When these Marshall 1 watt amps are set to low range or .1watt the actual output is actually even lower then that ( about 0.022 watts)

Not every amp is a good candidate to be a slave amp. As Big Dooley pointed out the master volume is before the loop which will work but not the best setup. Other loops can be to hot to be slaved. Idealy you should use a amp that allows you to select the +4 dbu setting for the loop, the DSL does. Amps like the Vintage Modern, JVM, and the JMD1 are also excellent for this.

Arthur likes this.
  10. Arthur

Arthur New Member

OK, I think I'll give it a shot with a volume pedal. But my amp is a combo and kamran you said something about having a properly rated cab? And yeah I was asking about blowing the DSL.

11. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I know the answer is over a week old...but I just read about this... :) You say the DSL allows you to select the +4dbu setting...what one is that? It just has a loop level switch...in or out...the manual doesn't give specs, just says basically one is better for pedals, and one for processors. Doesn't even say which position is for which. Did I mention that I have never used an effects loop in my life? :eek:

12. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

As many DSL's have the ground loop mod, be sure yours doesn't or the speaker out will not be disabled!!

PS - I just realized he has a combo so I'm not sure this applies, but others with a DSL head who want to slave it should keep this in mind.

Ken

13. Brett Blackmore

Brett Blackmore New Member

I do it like this with a DSL and Plexi:

Guitar > DSL input > DSL send > stereo fx-unit @+4bd >

Left channel -> DSL Return (set to +4db)
    Right channel -> Marshall Plexi fx-loop return (which can only do +4db)>

So I am hi-jacking the Plexi thru its fx-loop return which cuts out all of its preamp/eq/and channel inputs - they now do nothing on the Plexi- only the Presence works.

Thru a coincidence I have a wet/dry fx-mix knob on my Plexi which now governs the volume for the plexi. If I would not have this then the DSL volume would govern volume on the plexi.

On the DSL the FX loop switch is either +4db or -10db. When pressed in the switch is set to +4db which is used for rack mounted effects. The button pressed OUT is for normal instrument levels at -10db

ps. last note: in my humble opinion if you are using different types of cabs - or are sending signals from different types of tubes eg. el34 amp to a 6550 amp then the slaved amp (in my case my Plexi) gets the full DSL sound yet stops sounding like a Plexi - This is strange for me as a Plexi fan. The new sound is somewhat full, loud, but loses something which is difficult to describe - the slaved amp now sounds like any xyz china-made Peavey. I therefore would only recommend slaving identical types or avoid it. Use a stereo delay pedal to send 2 signals into 2 amps and forget the slaving - to me this sounds best of all.

Cheers Brett

poeman33 likes this.
  14. Username2

Username2 New Member

The +4 dBu should be selected on the Slave Amps loop if equipped . If using a DSL1 to slave into a higher watt amp fuck using the FX send on the DSL1 to slave, use the speaker output instead in the .1 watt mode so you take advantage of the preamp and power amp of the DSL1.

It is the cascading power amps where the magic happens.

15. albertlespaul

albertlespaul New Member

I started wondering while reading this topic: if you put a 1W amp into a 100W one, then is it 1W or 100W loud?

16. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

$700 pedals FTW! :headbanger:

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I'll guess 101 watts!! :applause:

Your 100 watt amp cranks out 100 watts (at some arbitrary THD %)...that's all it can do at that rating.

Naturally with cranked volume plus pedals that boost, you can push it way beyond that with a tube amp. The input's level won't change the RMS rating though; it is what it is. The 1 watt amp is just bypassing the preamp in the 100 watter. It just gives a head start to power tube breakup.

So I would say 100 watts is the answer.

Ken

albertlespaul likes this.
  19. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

you beat me to it:D

i'd ad through conveniences as well:)

20. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

It's one louder :naughty:

33KHD and Ken like this.